markwilson66

Won't run in EV mode, ICE kicks in immediately.

The cars when new would accelerate only very slowly in EV by design. That's an area where they want the ICE to run. All the energy comes from gas so don't push EV use. The car knows best. Here's a brief summary.

In HEVs, ( not PHEVs ) all the energy comes from fuel. The "ICE-generator-charge-discharge-motor-wheels" energy path of the EV cycle has more loss than the "ICE-wheels" path so EV should be AVOIDED above 40-50 mph. Higher speeds cost 6 mpg per 10 mph. Lower temperatures cost 2 mpg per 10º F. Headwinds ( and some crosswinds ) cost up to 3mpg per 10 mph. Noisy roads can cost 2 mpg. Heavy rain can cost up to 10 mpg. AC can cost over 10 mpg for a few minutes in a heat soaked car tapering off to 1-2 mpg. These effects are mostly cumulative and the inverse effects are also true.
1: Low HVB
2: HVB reconditioning ( 2010-12 )
3: Evaporative emissions check at start up
4: Speed over 46-62-86 mph depending on model and software.
5: Higher power demand such as acceleration
6: Cabin heater demand
7: Warmup of catalytic converter when cold and speed above 12 mph. ( 2010-12 )
8: Use of "L" gear

9: The ICE is motorized with no fuel flow when coasting down steep hills and speed exceeds 46 mph or at any speed while brake depressed and HVB becomes full. For instance if you are coasting at 60 mph and put on the brake, when regen is not sufficient the brake pedal will call for higher motorizing rpm for compression or "jack" braking.?

Edited by lolder

Thanks, Allen, for this detailed instruction on how to "fix" the FFH battery problem.

I took my car in to my Ford dealer this morning for the annual state inspection AND the resetting of the HVB setting. I gave him the name of the Des Moines
Ford dealer that Rodney had used, but I also sent a copy of your posting to him now in order to assist his Hybrid Tech in doing he reset. The Service Manager told me this morning that he has had complaints about this problem from several other FFH owners, and that he will be excited about advising them of this "fix" if it works for me.

I realize that your posting was intended to tell me how to do this reset myself, but I'm a coward about messing with the operating computer, so I'll pay the dealer to do it.

More news later!

Jake 1110,

My Ford dealer called Charles Gabus Ford in Des Moines, IA, and talked to Phillip in the service department, but Phillip was unable to help him with the fix. He says he needs the customer name and/or the vehicle number in order to look it up! Can you supply either to me?

Thanks for the help.

WOW! The "fix" has worked!

I just got my 2010 FFH back from my Ford dealer who applied the fix that Rodney shared with this forum:

"The fellow's name is Michael, a service manager in Steinbach. Fairway Ford, Phone: (204) 326-3412"

At my insistence, my dealer called Fairway Ford and got the specific instruction that he needed to reset the "battery age" to 1 year.

My car now runs as it was intended, in full hybrid mode. I can achieve nearly 35 mph in electric mode on a flat surface, and have improved mpg back to where it was before the problem.
The hesitation when accelerating from a stop has disappeared, which makes me very happy since this was a really dangerous condition.
An added bonus is the fact that the dealer waived the $100 fee for this service, probably because of all the money that I spent in the past trying to eliminate the problem.
Many, many thanks to Rodney for sharing this success. We all owe him our thanks.

Another thing to check is the HV battery level. Most of the time it should be in the middle. If it is at the high (top) level most of the time you do have the same problem as the 2010 vehicles.

The cars are not designed to accelerate in EV mode. It can only be done very slowly on level roads . Once at speed it should stay in EV mode for only about 1/2 mile at speeds below 45 mph. The ICE then runs for about 1/2 mile and the cycle repeats. That is normal operation. The HVB SOC varies between 1/2 and about 1/3 while this occurs. It appears all the cars are going to have an EV problem due to the software.

Ford's silence about this is typical. It may have been done to preserve ICE starting capability of aging HVBs. The cars still operate with the degraded EV function but if the HVB became too weak to start the ICE the cars would die on the road which might prompt a recall from NHTSA which might require Ford to replace the HVB's at their expense outside of warranty.

In series/parallel hybrids like Fords and Toyotas, one of the two large 3 phase motor/generators in the transmission, nominally called MG1 starts the ICE with energy from the HVB. It is over 60 hp! It also controls the transmission and the application and mixing of torque to the wheels. A larger motor/generator MG2 is connected directly to the front wheels and provides power for moving and regen braking. It's a complicated system smoothly controlled by electronics and software. The transmission is actually a simple planetary gear system. No bands, clutches, solenoids, torque converters. Just gears meshing with gears to accomplish speed reduction and differential operation. There is no separate 12 v starter motor or alternator. Power to keep the 12 v battery charged comes from a solid state DC to DC converter which converts the several hundred volts of the HVB to 12 v.

MG1 spins the ICE up to about 1000 rpm in about 1/2 second and ignition is then turned on and fuel flow ramped in to produce a smooth power flow with MG2. The energy used to start the ICE is small but the power required is large. Power is force like horsepower and energy is power times the time like horsepower-hour.

When new, the HVB can put out about 25-30 hp and about 2 hp-hrs. Department of Energy tests showed this was only degraded about 8% after 160 k miles. The test cars put this mileage on in just a short time of a few years so they didn't come up on the software limit.

Edited by lolder

That's not the original behavior. It's the battery software that is discussed in this thread.