markwilson66

Won't run in EV mode, ICE kicks in immediately.

My 2010 Fusion Hybrid ran as designed for about 9 years (only 87,600 miles) with a few hiccups along the way, then this year It has stopped working as designed in Hybrid EV mode...now ICE only stops when foot on brake at red light in warmer weather, Battery remains full unless getting motor assists at highway speeds then it might drain to half full and you can see that charging of battery is occurring... Ford reconfigured the HEV batteries and retrained the car which worked for about two days abnormally in colder weather, ICE never stopped. (Car has never been in storage unless you consider the two weeks recently that it was at Ford while they tried to figure out the problem) Engine only now stops at red light when warmer weather has arrived this spring but never works as EV mode at any speed now... Had to take car back to Ford when recently got the red triangle "of engine death" ie pull safely over when you can, because the engine doesn't work, this is abit harder and less safe when the EV doesn't work, and I had to pull over on a bridge with no shoulder one time that was not fun. Car has already had the throttle body replaced. Ford has determined that the batteries no longer can provide the power to run the vehicle in EV mode, but say they haven't "failed", so they will not honor the 10 year /150K mile warranty that the batteries are suppose to have in the state of New Jersey. Very disappointing to say the least. Ford says they can configure the EV system to "think" that the batteries are like 2 years old and the car then runs in EV mode as designed, but whats remaining of the batteries will fail if left in this 2yr mode, and don't recommend it. My battery warranty ends at the end of July this year so I don't want to do anything Ford recommends against. Apparently, Ford has fixed my engine problem that caused my car to stop on the road, saying that some control valve had to be replaced...we will see if it is really fixed or not.

I believe it is a programming error on the part of Ford. According to the owners manual the HV battery should last the life of the car. The HV battery on many Ford Fusion (and Milan) cars seem to go into this mode after 9 years. This does not seem logical. As I previously stated on this forum my two 2010 Mercury Milans with 43,000 miles each have the same problem after coming out of storage due to the air bag recall. Since your car is still under warranty I believe you should contact your state officials (and perhaps through your Congressman) about Ford not honoring their warranty. Another option is to PM me and I will give you the name of my attorney who is in the process of filing a class action lawsuit.

Edited by PaulGo

In N the ICE will not start except it will be motorized if over the max EV speed on a steep downhill. If you leave it in the accessory "ignition" position, the DC to DC converter will keep the 12 v charged until the HVB is well below the normal ICE start point and then the HVB will be shutoff. The 12 v then eventually dies. After you charge the 12 v and turn the car on the ICE instantly starts and charges the HVB.

It sounds like this problem may be three-fold; some deterioration in the HVB, a time/cycle software glitch and stuck open thermostats. Seems like Ford would be able to figure it out and help the 70,000 owners of these cars. The Owners Guide said the HVB was expected to last the life of the car. They're only 10 years old.

I have a Tesla Model 3 now. It's the Revolutionary Future Here Today.

Edited by lolder

That's great Rodney!

Did they tell you what the technical procedure was called or provide any kind of service bulletin number?

Rodney,

I have read other posts about restoring the HV battery by doing a computer procedure similar to what your dealer did. Some of the dealers have stated doing this could shorten the life of the HV battery. I am very happy that your dealer has found a solution that works and restores your car to a fully operational state. I believe every owner who has this problem should contact Ford Motor Company and have them come up with an "official" fix to the computer program that will restore functionality based upon the condition of the HV battery, not based only solely on the age.

You should be able to accelerate to maybe 35. Get it fixed as noted.

Great news from Rodney. I'll beat my dealer over the head with it when I take my 2010 FFH in for inspection next week.

On the subject of driving conditions, I just returned from a week-long trip the South Carolina and experienced 98 degree conditions on the return trip, but the hybrid performance did not change even in the high temperature environment.

I'm looking forward to getting the dealer to use the date-reset procedure to see if it works.

I've written to the Vice President & Director of Safety at Ford Motor about the unsafe condition caused by the engine hesitation, but no response yet. I'm not surprised, but I'll send another letter by Registered Mail in a couple weeks. (Maybe with copies to other Ford executives as well)

I reached out to the Ford Dealer Service Advisor that helped Rodney and here's what he told me.

"What we have done is to reset the vehicle to “1 Year” in the personality settings. This has to be done with the Ford scan tool. I hope this helps. If you need any more information let me know."