markwilson66

Won't run in EV mode, ICE kicks in immediately.

By now some 2011 Ford Hybrids should be exhibiting the HV barttery / computer problems that the 2010 hybrid vehicles have. If they don't then perhaps Ford became aware of the problem and put in a larger capacity computer that has programming for years beyond ten years.

Good point Paul.

I performed the HVB age reset to 0 year a few weeks ago and I am back to 41.1 mpg. Able to stay in EV mode now for a considerably longer time/distance.

Ford is supposed to have an official fix for this issue, stay tuned...

Oct 3 2019 8922 - 2010-2012 Fusion HEV, 2010-2011 Milan HEV, 2011-2012 MKZ HEV - Reduced ElectricVehicle Operation

Some 2010-2012 Fusion hybrid electric vehicle (HEV), 2010-2011 Milan HEV and 2011-2012 MKZ HEV vehicles may experience reduced electric vehicle operation and increased gasoline engine operation. Do not attempt repairs at this time. Engineering is investigating, monitor OASIS for updates.

Thanks for the information! It appears Ford may finally do something about this problem. I complained about this to Ford on many occasions since January and I even wrote my Congressman about this issue. He also sent a letter to Ford about this issue. So hopefully Ford will oil the squeaky wheel!

The HVB is 200+ D cell sized batteries connected in series. If a cell shorts, the battery will lose a little capacity but still operate the car. That is the usual failure mode for NiMh batteries. If a cell opens, the HVB will have zero output and the car will not move or start the ICE. There is no way to predict either failure mode. When the OEM software started limiting HVB power, it also stopped the HVB reconditioning events. They may now resume which is characterized by no EV operation for 15-20 minutes and the HVB goes to a very high SOC. When successful, normal operation returns. If not, it is rumored that a message is displayed and to take it to the Ford dealer. I've never heard of that actually happening. My 2010 FFH HVB reconditioned about every 8k miles.

Other maintenance issues are O2 sensors, dirty throttle bodies and noisy electric vacuum pumps which are a problem on other Fords as well. These are repairable. Aftermarket HVBs are available for about $3k plus installation. The ICE and transmission should last a very long time. My 2010 went to a grandson over a year ago. He hasn't done the reset yet.

Edited by lolder

I am also having the same issue with my 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid that has 136,000 Miles. My car rarely runs in EV Mode anymore except when applying the brakes. This morning on my way to work I had the lowest gas mileage I have experienced at 26 MPG in stop and go traffic for about an hour to cover 16 mies. My car use to run this way when it was -20 fahrenheit in Minnesota but now it runs like this all the time. I have taken it to the Ford Dealer in Eden Prairie and because they can no fault codes they said there is nothing wrong with my car. can't people diagnose a problem anymore without using a computer? I asked them to replace the thermostat but because there was nothing wrong he told me to save my money.

I also had my Takata airbag replaced but this problem was occurring before the airbag was replaced. Other than replacing the hybrid battery, "balancing the cells", has anyone identified the real issue? If it has been posted I did not see a general fix to the issue. My car is in print much mint condition so I would like to keep it if I can get back to 40 mpg. Thoughts? (mplsguy@prodigy.net)

Here is the fix: https://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/19361-my-instructions-on-restoring-the-hybrid-ev-function-on-the-ford-fusion-hybrid-approaching-the-89-years-mark/

They are completely different vehicles. Does it have the same problem?

2010 Ford Fusion VIN 4757 Hybrid Electric Vehicle Battery Test Results - Department of Energy

Conclusion: The Ford Fusion, with VIN 4757, experienced a 3.8% degradation in battery capacity and stayed below DOE targets for all aspects of the HPPC test over the duration of 160,000 miles of fleet testing.

From this result I would assume the 9 year cut-off that Ford did on the hybrid function is much  too conservative.  Full hybrid functionality could extend for many more years without risk of HV battery problems. 

https://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/02/f7/batteryfusion4757_0.pdf

On 1/3/2020 at 11:37 PM, PaulGo said:

2010 Ford Fusion VIN 4757 Hybrid Electric Vehicle Battery Test Results - Department of Energy

Conclusion: The Ford Fusion, with VIN 4757, experienced a 3.8% degradation in battery capacity and stayed below DOE targets for all aspects of the HPPC test over the duration of 160,000 miles of fleet testing.

From this result I would assume the 9 year cut-off that Ford did on the hybrid function is much  too conservative.  Full hybrid functionality could extend for many more years without risk of HV battery problems. 

https://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/02/f7/batteryfusion4757_0.pdf

Most hybrids of that era were below the DOE targets even when new so that statement is unimportant but the HVB durability performance of the Ford was better than all the others. There were two cars in the test operated by a delivery service in Phoenix. The other one got rear ended by a truck at 70,000 miles that totaled it. Up to that time it was performing the same.