Newlist

What is your current MPG

Filled up today after another 600 mile tank. Actually hit that mark before the low fuel indicator popped up. Car registered 56.2 MPG, but since I pumped a tad more than the car thought I burned, my Fuelly record indicates a mere 54.9 MPG.

Do we know what causes those mid-50s mpg from Sleddog and md13ffhguy?

A lot of downhill (flat), a light foot, patience, good traffic pattern etc. ;)

Honestly without the added Interstate stretch and uphill driving home on my daily commute I could be very close this number. 55.8 MPG this morning

I'm not clear what "downhill (flat)" means. Round trips with downhill also have uphill.

Yep - one way numbers usually don't tell the whole story. Corncobs is right about my daily commute TO work, which is about a 31 mile trip - A lot of downhill, a light foot, patience, good traffic pattern... I don't know if he intended it this way, but that's roughly the order of significance, as far as I can tell. If I don't get 55+ MPGs in the morning, I'm disappointed. Many days I hit 60+ (with 70+ on a very rare occasion). For me, this has become easy - Accelerate and brake gently, drive mostly in the right (slow) lane at the posted speed limit, set the ECO Cruise w/ ACC, and enjoy the ride.

Returning home while achieving higher MPGs takes a little more finesse and effort on my part, and definitely some luck with the traffic patterns. All that downhill advantage from the morning gets flipped on me - it's hard to avoid using gas while going uphill for too long! Still, I use the same approach - drive gently. I really don't consider myself a hypermiler, either. I'm definitely aware of other drivers, and try my best not to impede their progress. Despite my best efforts, many times all I can achieve is 43-47 MPGs. On a very good day, when the stars (and traffic patterns) align, I can reach 50. One of my best was yesterday, when I got 55 on my way home. However, my best MPG days for my return trips usually occur when there are a lot of traffic backups. Funny thing is, I now look at this situation as a win either way! Light traffic gets me home sooner (at lower MPG), but heavier traffic (in just the right places) can result in better MPGs. :)

I've been commuting to work for nearly 23 years and to college for 4 more before that. I've always dealt with traffic (and it seems to be ever increasing), but never have I been more relaxed and comfortable in it!

I went to lunch and back, about 10 miles RT, averaged 58 MPG. Car rolled over 30K this morning and the MPG just keeps getting better.

Today was a very good day - 63 mile round trip, 67.7 MPG to work and 49.5 back home, for a 57 MPG day. Well, that's what the FFH trip computer told me, but it has a reputation for stretching the truth a little... Actual mileage is likely a few MPGs lower, but who am I to complain?

I've heard that the mpg's get better as the car ages. Do you think that's true or just the driver getting used to it. Also, what's the whole story about your past FFH? I assume this new one has much better mpg's? Did you alter your driving? I'm at 40.1 life mpg and 41.5 mpg for the second tank and I'm hoping it slowly get's better! Winter coming soon so I'm gonna try my best to keep it above 40.

They do get better the more miles are on it, part of it is tire wear though, so replacing tires will drop MPG a bit for a while. A lot though has to do with the driver, learning the nuances of the car.

My first car, forever known as Blue Devil, had some issue that could not be diagnosed. I expected 38-43 MPG summer and winter, and could barely break 34. Took a trip to Florida in December of 12, and even in warm sunny southern Florida could not get above 34 MPG. At 4400 miles it threw a CEL and had 4 fouled spark plugs. Again, no problem found. It had to be driven for a long time before it would get near 40 MPG, and had to be driven Extreme pulse and glide. Ford told me to pound sand, nothing wrong with the car it was my driving, and after driving 3 hybrids prior to this one, and having a 2010 Hybrid at the time that I was getting 38 MPG in the same conditions and roads, I know how to drive Hybrid. Yes the 13 is a bit different, but after about 100 miles I had the hang of it. My dealer backed me up and knew there was something wrong with it, but had their hands tied by Ford so worked out a deal with me on a Flex, in the meantime I had ordered the one I have now, and traded my 10 in on it to take another chance after so many others here were doing well with theirs, and it paid off. First trip off the dealer lot to my office I got 47 MPG.

Even in last years sub zero weather I did better than the BD ever did in 40* weather. I am so glad I got this car, best car I ever had and it is doing GREAT.

Today was a very good day - 63 mile round trip, 67.7 MPG to work and 49.5 back home, for a 57 MPG day. Well, that's what the FFH trip computer told me, but it has a reputation for stretching the truth a little... Actual mileage is likely a few MPGs lower, but who am I to complain?

Can it get better? Yes. Same RT today. 65.9 out, 54.6 back, for a 59.7 MPG day!

What did you do differently? Just ambient temperature differences?

I just drove gently, as I always do. I attribute it to favorable traffic patterns/conditions, meaning the slowdowns occur in just the right places. This usually means they occur over some of the long uphill climbs, allowing me to use some EV during what would otherwise be all ICE.

I grow a forest in the morning, and kill it in the evening. Only because of traffic. I was surprised this morning, thought for sure only going to get 46, but it turned out to be 49.Got 54.7 for my lunch trip, with AC blasting.