Ric

Hard reset

So if I were to get a new car in March, and the weather is cold, I'm probably going to get bad mileage forever unless I do a hard reset in the spring?

Not necessarily, If you can maximize the FE when you first get the car, then once the warm weather kicks in and the fuel blends have less benzine in it, then the MPG will climb. If you can get 38 in the cold weather. you should have no problems getting 43+ in summer.

I say 38-43 since it is what I get on average which is mixed city highway with lots of hills and stops. If your trips are at lower speeds with flats and fewer stops it can get much higher.

Fuel management, battery management, throttle parameters are just a few of the parameters used. It takes the inputs from the driver, and builds a series of tables for air/fuel ratios, Throttle positions, Fuel octane, O2 ratios, temps, etc. Throttle position is a biggie, the more throttle you use, the more fuel it needs, and it learns this is your driving technique and tries to manage the systems based on this. If you are very light on the throttle, it builds a different table. This is the same on all cars, where the FFH is different is the battery management system. It learns your braking techniques, and battery cycles so that it can maintain peak charge rates.

Disclaimer, this is based on theory and years of working on cars, and playing with tunes for diesels.

Adaptive transmissions have been around a while. If you're a lead foot it learns higher rpm shift points which is bad for mileage but good for performance. I don't think hybrids suffer from those limitations. The system is always trying to get the lowest fuel consumption. If you use a lot of power, you get out of the low fuel usage zones of the engine and you use more EV assist both of which reduce economy. As soon as you stop bad habits it should not remember them.

Adaptive transmissions have been around a while. If you're a lead foot it learns higher rpm shift points which is bad for mileage but good for performance. I don't think hybrids suffer from those limitations. The system is always trying to get the lowest fuel consumption. If you use a lot of power, you get out of the low fuel usage zones of the engine and you use more EV assist both of which reduce economy. As soon as you stop bad habits it should not remember them.

Said so eloquently. Pretty much what I was trying to say.