Howie411

2014 FFH Titanium 1 Week Review

So I've had my 2014 FFH Titanium 1 week now and I wanted to give my opinion on it. (Just a heads up there will be a bunch of comparisons to my old 2010 FFH and my previous 2013 Ford Escape Titanium.)

So anyways lets see where to start. I am still on my first tank of gas, I show a little more then 1/4 of a tank left on the gauge and averaging 41.1 MPG, over all I am pretty pleased with the gas mileage I've been getting, on a few trips to work in the morning I've managed to get around 48 mpg. It definitely requires some abnormal driving techniques to achieve close to the EPA rating of 47. Oddly enough on my old 2010 FFH I hit 50mpg on a few instances of driving to work, so I'll be interested in seeing if I can manage to do that with this car.

Let me talk about acceleration/speed for a minute. Going from 270 HP on the Escape to 185 HP is a major "ouch", going from a stop light to normal driving speed (on say a 35-45 mph road, I feel like I'm lagging behind and everyone behind me is waiting. Once I'm up to cruising speed though I have no issues or concerns.

Next we have the technology, this car is a packed full of technology goodness.

Adaptive Cruise Control - Not sure how I ever lived without this, we are 1/2 way towards automatic driving cars.

BLIS - Had this on my last 2 Fords, don't think I can ever buy a new car without it.

Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keep Assist - I've used the warning but not the assist feature. Still to early to comment really on this.

NAV System - As much as people knock it (I myself being one of them) the Ford Nav system is much better then most other car manufactures, I've seen a lot of different systems and the Ford system by far is the best looking, most of the other systems look like a system from 5 years ago. Still annoyed Ford charges $200 for Map updates though, in this day in age when your phone has free gps and portable systems include free map updates this business strategy needs to be changed.

MyFordTouch - This system has gotten a lot better. With version 3.6 there is a lot less bugs, I just hope they can keep putting out good fixes without breaking things in the process. By the way they did a much better job in the FFH integrating MyFordTouch then in the 2013 Ford Escape, its also much easier to press the screen while driving.

Active Park Assist - Still haven't used this yet, and never used it with my Ford Escape. One of these days I will be brave enough to try it.

Now for a few annoyances:

1. While the touch sensitive buttons is cool and futuristic like, I find myself accidentally pressing them sometimes when I reach over to the MyFordTouch system. On a side note they don't seem to respond when wearing gloves.

2. Occasionally there is a small jolt when switching from EV to ICE while the car is stopped, happens rarely but I never had this happen on my 2010 FFH.

3. I feel like I'm sitting very low in this car, it may just be how the center armrest is but I keep finding myself readjusting, especially my left foot which I feel needs to be completely stretched out to be comfortable in the car.

4. I can't believe my HD Radio is broken out of the box (ie bought broken) and Ford still has yet to issue a fix.

A few extra things:

I can't say how much I love the design of the rear tail lights, why oh why didn't they add LED's to the front too.

This is the first Ford I've owned that has a center cup holder with auto adjustments for different size cups. It seems so simple, not sure why every car doesn't have this.

Remote Start is awesome, didn't have it on my 2010 FFH, but I did on my Escape, nice to have it back on a fuel efficient car.

In general I'm really liking this car, great technology, great looking and great gas mileage. Its hard to get all 3 of those in a non luxury car (let along 2 of the 3).

Nice review. I agree with you on the touchscreen and accidentally activating buttons by grazing them.

I also find this very annoying, reach down to get something from the storage under the stack and you hear 'boop' your hand got too close and activated something, then it's time to figure out what got activated. I'll take the old-fashioned buttons any day.

Its funny, the car does feel like its crawling, but it does move out pretty good, its just most people floor it when the light turns green. I even have people jump ahead of me when I drive my Flex. My wife really doesnt go past 2 bars, yet she can pull away from me from a light.

Rule of thumb I came upon while doing some highway driving.

45-55 = 47MPG+

65-70 = 43MPG

75-80=35 MPG.

You are getting what the car is going to get at those speeds. Try taking a casual trip on a weekend and keep it below 65 and see what it gets. Chances are you will see it in the 40's, then you will know.