LEM

$469.90 in Personal property taxes?!!!

Feel the love buddy, I'm paying that on each car. Don't forget you'll pay the additional $64 per year hybrid tax when you renew registration, gotta love it.

Personal Property taxes on cars? In Texas we pay an annual registration of about $75-80 (depending on which county you're in).

Yes, I pay that on each car every 6 months - one of the quirks of VA and probably a few other states.

Is that $400+ typical for new vehicles, or just hybrids?

Any vehicle based on the current KBB/NADA value (each county sets its own rate but I think they are pretty close to one another), so it will go down slightly each time... but still sucks.

Edited by jeff_h

Is this an incentive for people in VA to lease instead of own? Or is this paid for leased vehicles as well? Taxes for my rig were less than $2000 so paying that property tax fee for more than 3 years would make me consider moving to another state.

Since this is based on cars registered, I *think* it also applies to leases (have never leased so not sure)...

Geez, if this trickles its way into Texas, I'm going to just buy antique rollers and make a half-assed restoration with a kubota diesel in each one. That would cost me about 3 or 4 years worth of these property taxes on new vehicles.

I don't get too excited over it, as each state has its own way of revenue generation, whether it's sales tax, property tax, personal property tax, income tax. Where one state goes easy on one, they might go heavier on another.***

*** - unless you live in CA, NY, or IL where they go heavy on everything I guess.

I don't get too excited over it, as each state has its own way of revenue generation, whether it's sales tax, property tax, personal property tax, income tax. Where one state goes easy on one, they might go heavier on another.***

*** - unless you live in CA, NY, or IL where they go heavy on everything I guess.

No outrageous taxes every 6 months on a car, that would not go over very well in Chicago. Our plates are about $102 a year, but our property taxes on homes and land, YuCk! The waste of it is 2/3rds goes to the school system, and having 2 kids in school I got first hand knowledge of what doesn't get funded by my taxes. Teachers, at least the good ones. Damned unions.

Yep. Just got my personal property tax bill and it's $583 in northern Virginia. I don't think it'll be every 6 months though. I think it's yearly and this amount was prorated because I bought it in April. I figured next year would be a lot worse.

Mine is every 6 months, BOHICA occurs in May and November, can't wait....