hybridbear

Ford fuel efficiency update guinea pig testers

Something to share with your service dept's tech so that your PCM update works on the 1st try:

I was able to talk to the tech that did the PCM recalibration on my FFH yesterday (both times). He said that he read the Ford bulletin re-programming instructions 5 times before he figured out what the problem was. He indicated that while technicians know how to reprogram the IDS, they likely are just doing what they know to do. The bulletin in this case, though, clearly states that they must have Version 85.05 for the reprogramming to work correctly. Once he updated the IDS with the correct version, the recalibration worked like a charm.

Hope this helps! :)

Very helpful info. So much so I added it to the TSB thread!

Something to share with your service dept's tech so that your PCM update works on the 1st try:

I was able to talk to the tech that did the PCM recalibration on my FFH yesterday (both times). He said that he read the Ford bulletin re-programming instructions 5 times before he figured out what the problem was. He indicated that while technicians know how to reprogram the IDS, they likely are just doing what they know to do. The bulletin in this case, though, clearly states that they must have Version 85.05 for the reprogramming to work correctly. Once he updated the IDS with the correct version, the recalibration worked like a charm.

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you - have pasted the above into a Word Doc in large font and it will be sitting on the top of the passenger seat. I will also mention it to the service advisor, but have found that customer comments tend to get left at the service counter and never passed to the tech.

As part of yesterday's service request that I made online, I noted for one of my items "Recall 13S04 replace fuel delivery module - do not have any fuel smell, so just need to get the part(s) associated with a work order and on order to replace when parts are more widely available." --- service advisor called my cell phone and told me "we don't have those recall parts in stock yet and would have to order them"//// Helloooooooo, McFlyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

So I am hoping that leaving the above note on version 85.05 on the seat will catch the attention of the tech, as I do not have a high degree of confidence that the service advisor will pass along anything meaningful.

Thank you - have pasted the above into a Word Doc in large font and it will be sitting on the top of the passenger seat. I will also mention it to the service advisor, but have found that customer comments tend to get left at the service counter and never passed to the tech.

As part of yesterday's service request that I made online, I noted for one of my items "Recall 13S04 replace fuel delivery module - do not have any fuel smell, so just need to get the part(s) associated with a work order and on order to replace when parts are more widely available." --- service advisor called my cell phone and told me "we don't have those recall parts in stock yet and would have to order them"//// Helloooooooo, McFlyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

So I am hoping that leaving the above note on version 85.05 on the seat will catch the attention of the tech, as I do not have a high degree of confidence that the service advisor will pass along anything meaningful.

My Service Manager personally worked on my cars, so if I mention this he will not forget it.

You can tell as soon as you get back in your car before leaving the dealer if your update was installed correctly. Just turn your car on then back off and look at the Regen miles on the Lifetime Summary. If your Regen miles have been reset while your EV miles aren't then you know the update was successful. If your Regen miles are not reset then go back inside and tell them the update was unsuccessful. Hopefully this will save some ppl the pain of driving away only to have to return.

Not exactly! I had my C-Max updated early this week and the regen miles were reset but EV will only work up to 62 mph. Have it rescheduled for next Tuesday to redo.

Has the blue region been expanded after the update or it stays the same? I know that has more to do with the battery charge, but just in case...

Click on the attached image for details.

attachicon.gifCapture.jpg

You know, I at one time did have the blue bar go very high, in fact it is in that video I posted about the extreme hypermiling that was done to achieve Ford's accepted MPG range. I dont know what they did for it to do that, but I have not been able to get that to happen again on the old one, just that one trip after I got it back, and never again, and never on the new one. It was up to the third bar.

Grade assist boosts regen when descending a hill, and even when coasting down a hill it double freewheeling regen, so you could have a negative impact by having it on when you dont need it. It may be sapping some of your forward speed instead of letting the car coast, which has to then be made up with power from the ICE. It really should only be used when needed and not left on all times.