mcalli27

The MPG problem... Solved? Read!

Still HOPE for my CAR,,,,,,

So today had to see a client at 5.1 miles away. 82 degrees outside. Time to leave, hit the button on the remote to lower down all 4 windows from my office. (WOW., it worked and nothing stolen). Left the windows down for the first mile then rolled up the back 2 and opened up the sunroof. (Oh, also, no AC.... just ruffed it with vent only.) temp rising to 86 degrees but wind blowing thru the windows is bearable.) A few stop signs and a few stop lights.

Arrive= 43.1

Coming back= 61.3

total trip there and back = 10.2 miles = 52.2MPG.... YEAH!!!!

Damn it's hot though........ (also, my tripmeter doesn't actually represent my true tanks of gas MPG.)

BUT,,,, it put a smile on my face!

Now, tomorrow, I would like to do the same test with my wife in the car to get her used to HOT in the car, no AC.... try to convince her that I want to bring back memories of when we first got married.... Try to duplicate the results... and then, turn the AC on to whatever makes her comfortable and run the same run again. This would definitively establish differences in the AC vs no AC on my long 5.1 mile commutes to clients,,, which is aproximately 46.97% farther than I have to travel to work from home. :)

Edited by Geremy13

When I was a kid, our car did not have AC. It had 4-55 AC, you rolled down all 4 windows and drove 55 MPH. Driving the new Fusion brings back those memories, now if only it were a wagon.

When I was a kid, our car did not have AC. It had 4-55 AC, you rolled down all 4 windows and drove 55 MPH. Driving the new Fusion brings back those memories, now if only it were a wagon.

In your prototype wagon, would it have a third seat in the back facing rearward?

What type of mpg should I expect with only highway driving averaging 70-75mph in the Northeast? Approx 150 miles per day, just me driving and nothing in the trunk. I expect to run the A/C as needed. Thanks.

My 2013 FFH with 6,000 miles on it, averages around 38 mpg in those conditions.

My guess was 36-38 as I think the higher speed may hit the MPG a bit harder, don't remember the numbers from "the lolder theorem" it should be somewhere around there.

Finished my tank test......... Got the best MPG yet!

Tank of gas... No A/C..... 90% highway at 55MPH at Eco Cruise,,, never exceeding 2000RPM.......... = 46.9MPG on this entire tank. Almost joined the 500 mile club.

Very excited.... raised my lifetime almost a mile per gallon..... closing in on 40MPG lifetime.

However, this was a test and I will return to using the A/C so that I can drive in comfort without my head out the window to get a little relief.

Am really curious how the MPG will be affected at 20-30 degrees outside and how the heating works. Have never had the heat on this car yet. NOW,,, does anybody know how the heat works on our car? I have learned that the A/C depends on an electric compressor that is questionably effecient.. BUT, I wonder how the heating works in this car. Obviously our other cars depend on the water temp of the ICE.... however, does this car have some special kind of 'Heater Core'?... Electric? or is it normal like a regular car.

Even if it is 55* outside, if you have the HVAC on, and set to 70, the ICE will come on to generate heat, even though you don't really need it. It has been in the 50's last week in the mornings, so got to see it first hand. Its nice and comfy then it starts getting warm and that's when I realize, hey its trying to warm us up. I shut the HVAC off, and it quickly goes into EV.

With the new update the ICE should take alot less gas to keep itself warm. Wont be doing any full ev but it will be getting tons of EV assist and i read the grill will close completely when its cool outside to help save on gas keeping the ICE warm.

UPDATE!!!!UPDATE!!! UPDATE - I did an entire tank of Gas with absolutely zero HVAC - never touched the button once for an entire tank of gas... mind you this was Tampa Florida (for the people saying... texas and wherever else... yes it was fricking Hotttt, but I had to test it).

With A/C: total miles obtained based on multiple reciepts: apprx 384 per tank = 38.1mpg

With NO HVAC System: total miles obtained based on this reciept: 480.1 for this tank = 48mpg (25% Difference)!!!!

THIS IS REDICULOUS!!!! So, apparently we aren't supposed to use the HVAC to get good mileage.

Or move to someplace like San Diego where you never need to use HVAC. That was awfully brave (or foolish) of you to test no HVAC in August in FL!

One thing to remember is that running the HVAC can be a bit of a hit at times. Yesterday on my morning commute it was foggy/humid so I had the front defroster running the entire trip. MPG for those 60 miles was 49.5, which was a surprise as I don't normally get under 50 when weather is decent. This morning had the exact same commute, was milder so had each window down about an inch and HVAC off - set a new record with 57.9 MPG. 8 MPG is quite a variance, some of it may be due to HVAC and some due to hitting red lights the day before and just rolling through this morning, etc etc etc.

Or move to someplace like San Diego where you never need to use HVAC. That was awfully brave (or foolish) of you to test no HVAC in August in FL!

I was born and raised in San Diego......

Am very happy that I moved to the Midwest to raise my family. This is paradise here. I could've never made it in San Diego. And all of my kids truly turned out good,, and now most own thier own homes... If I was still in San Diego they would be asking Dad why we still live in apartments in our 50's...

I love to visit though,, and play tourist. But really happy that I don't live there.

I guess I will have to deal with the HVAC issue. Both in my car and my house(s)....... :)

I see that when I first start the car and put the A/C on low, the usage shows as quite high. Once the car warms up and I am underway, the same usage drops to almost zero. So if you want to use the A/C but don't want to penalize your mpg, wait a few minutes before turning it on.

This is very interesting and very informative.

I noticed this exact same thing today. Story: I had to see a client and also had to make three trips back to the office to complete this client service. On the first trip I used no A/C (5.1 miles total) and got 49MPG..... on the second trip I used the A/C from scratch (90 degrees outside and set the AC to 74) and got 43MPG (6MPG hit)... and the second trip kept the AC on and got 44MPG and on the third trip got 45MPG........

so your theory runs true........ I can't explain why but once the car was warmed up and conditioned to run to this client ,,,, the MPG got progressively better under the exact same conditions......

I noticed post update that the AC hit isnt as hard as it was before. I was able to hit 51 going to one place I went to before, first time was 56, this time 51, first time windows down, air off, second time air on.

Depending on how fast you go windows down really hurts this car. Ive noticed that thru some tests ive done.

47city based on what im starting to see I could be ok with them rating. But that 47hwy is imposible. I can get 43.5-44 on flat land at 60mph which isnt even hwy really anymore.

Depending on how fast you go windows down really hurts this car. Ive noticed that thru some tests ive done.

47city based on what im starting to see I could be ok with them rating. But that 47hwy is imposible. I can get 43.5-44 on flat land at 60mph which isnt even hwy really anymore.

Last week I made a trip to Indy and back (200 miles total) and set the Eco Cruise to 55MPH the entire way. Never broke 60 or 2000RPM and NO A/C with windows rolled down..... Got pretty good gas mileage and entire trip took less than a week. ;)