mcalli27

The MPG problem... Solved? Read!

When I picked my car up it's mpg was 25.6, I am now at 39.2 and I run the air about 50% of the time, and my mpg is still climbing. I would think that A/C could take a 20% hit out of the fuel economy. I would like to see what it does if you keep the A/C off for a couple of weeks and see how the mpg's improve

AC load can vary enormously. Try to park in the shade and open all the windows for a few minutes in a heat soaked car before turning on the AC. It will cool down just as fast. Use a sun screen for the top of the dash.

I did some tests a few years ago that showed the AC load was less at 60 mph than at 30. That can be attributed to two things; less radiator fan use and more cooling of the external body by airflow. I agree that the AC mpg hit can be as low as 0.5-1.0 mpg but that's only with highway conditions like hybridbear mentions. I always run the AC in auto when it's on. Low circulating fan speeds don't save much energy.

I don't use the fan by itself. I use the recirculating AC with the fan on low.

That's the same thing I do, if I run the AC then it is set to recirculate and the fan is on the lowest setting and up one notch if needed, maybe up to third notch if it's a hot day over 90, etc ... I never use the 'auto' climate setting.

Another Minnesota FFH user reporting in...

Just starting to use the AC occasionally as it heats up into the 80's today. So far, from March when I purchased, my lifetime average is 44MPG. It did get better as the car broke in, or I got broken in (learned to drive the thing). My driving is mostly city with mixed highway and streets. No major freeway trips so far, but will have one down to Madison, WI this weekend. I expect that the MPG will drop. Keeping comfortable definately costs something in mileage as the MPG was poorer when it was still cold here and will take an expected hit as I use AC. I definately think this is the car to have if you do alot of commuting and city driving. Many of my trips can get over 50mpg in town. So far I am impressed. We'll see on the "highway"/freeway...

You might try disconnecting the negative 12 vdc battery terminal for a minute with everything off and reconnecting. Then try the AC in Auto and recirc.

Edited by lolder