jgilliam1955

Not making EPA numbers Scare me...

Actually it isnt the dealers job to do that. They are there to sell cars, but they should be more informed on how the cars function, and know the ins and outs of the systems. The real problem with car dealers is very few sales men/women stay at any one dealer for any length of time. They are on staff only for so long as their sales records. Very few dealers have a full time sales man that is with them for a long time. Those that shuffle from dealer to dealer may not stick with one brand, so it is difficult for them to know every aspect.

As with anything, it is the buyer who should do their research, especially when getting into a Hybrid for the first time. The one thing about the new Fusion that is very unusual is the impact cold has on it, no other Hybrid that I know of takes as big a cold weather hit as the Fusion, and this is the 4th one I have owned, two were Toyota's, the current one is a 10 FFH and the 13. I did expect a slight decrease in FE in the cold, like 38-43 was my expected range based on the percentages on the other 3 cars during the winter months, so getting 35 and under was a BIG red flag that, hmm this isnt right. It was also the reason I drove it to Florida instead of the 10, I was unsure if it did have an issue based on the few warm days I drove it and it didnt do better. FL confirmed it.

However, next year when the cold hits, and you have more miles on it, and are more accustomed to how to drive it, you most likely will get better MPG than you did when you first got it. As you can see by the fuelly badges, I broke out the winter and summer driving along with lifetime. Most of my driving is Rural highway of 55 MPH, so based on that, and the EPA sticker of 36 highway, the lifetime average is dead on. So in winter, losing only 2 MPG from highway EPA, cant complain, and now that the weather has warmed up, its getting closer to the combined average of 39.

This is basically what I based my decision on when I bought the 13 FFH, I never expected to get 47, at least not until summer rolled around, but did expect to get at the very least 38 MPG as I factored in the break in period too.

As anything, Buyer Beware. Do the research before buying, and this Forum will be one heck of a buyers tool too, especially those members like JeffH, Hybridbear, Deecee, and a few others, especially that one member who drove all winter with snow tires on and still managed to get high numbers, sorry I blanked on your nick.

OK here is how to fix the winter blend issues. Figure out how many gallons you would be using in the winter, then buy a huge storage tank and hoard summer blend, then use that during the winter! :)

But you'd have to put stabilizer in it, right? My god-parents have 2 fuel tanks :) I think they were using them for Diesel.

Yep, and ethanol killer too! :) I have had gas last 3 years without stabilizer though.

I went from a turbocharged Grand Prix to the 2013 Ford Fusion. It was a real change for me and I had to adjust my driving habits. But, once you figure out how to drive the hybrid (it took me about two months to undo many, many years of bad driving habits) you'll get good mileage. I average between 45 and 50 mpg and as the gas prices keep going up I am thrilled!

They make EPA! At least most of them do. Having had one of those not so good ones, my sympathies for those who got one like that.

1012224_573419136033558_1523805397_n.jpg