jgilliam1955

Not making EPA numbers Scare me...

The temperature effect on Ford hybrids is about +0.2 mpg per º F. The mileage difference between 30 and 90 º F. will be 12 mpg. The EPA numbers are calculated at about 60-70 º F.

So essentially , if you can live with never coming close to the EPA estimate then the car is for you. Everyone likes to post trip numbers but there isn't a single person on this forum that has a fuelly or fueleconomy.gov number at or near the estimate.

Hello? Last tank fillup was 49.5 MPG, but didn't get it filled all the way as today's fillup was ONLY 46.5 MPG. Lifetime display now shows 47.3, fuelly actual fills 45.8 and going well since winter is over... I'm afraid you were unreasonable in your expectations in the cold weather and short trips and took a bath on your car before the weather and subsequent MPG turned more favorable. I tried to point this out to you in email, offered to meet you so we could compare cars and trips to see if it really was your car, but you choose to instead berate Ford as being fraudulent blah blah blah.

Getting the EPA numbers is possible but needs to be under the right conditions... granted they are optimal conditions and one needs to drive the car as if he or she is trying for the best MPG -- if one doesn't want to change behavior, it's probably not a good move to buy the car. I have achieved very good MPG on just about all of my trips, and posted dozens of them here: http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/jeff_h_fusion/library/ so take a look if you like, I admit it's not easy to get the rated numbers but then again I am much closer to EPA numbers than I was in almost 130,000 miles of driving my Prius. Sorry you felt ripped off, I really wish I could have driven your car to try it out, however it was sold to someone else from that Chantilly dealer when I went there.

Hows, that latest 8" of snow doing up there? This has been some crazy weather. I have fun times to look forward to this weekend. Pumping out the basement, replacing a pump or two. fun fun fun. You got the snow, we got the rain, I dont know which I would rather have, probably the snow as the melt runoff can be better controlled.

I live in the NorthEast and got my '13 FFH in March. Temps in the low 30s. Initially I was only getting 35-37 MPG despite my best efforts. Initially I was angry.

Since the weather has warmed up the past two seeks my trip average is now 43-50 on trips of 22 miles to work, which is relatively flat. If I use back roads (rural) I'm closer to 50 but it does require discipline. People who think they can just drive this car and get 47 mpg will be disappointed. You have to Pulse and glide.. Pulse and glide.. Shut off the climate control if possible. It's a change of mindset.

I'm not going to lie, it's been a difficult transition going from a powerful V6 sports car to my FFH. I no longer floor the gas pedal and when on the highway it's the far right lane and 62 mph. Whatever speed it can maintain in EV mode. There's a sacrifice necessary to get higher mpg. You have to ask yourself - are you prepared to make a change in your driving habits?

My car's lifetime avg is now up to 40.3 and rises .1 every day or two.

Can anyone tell me if Fuelly and the car's dashboard estimates are in line with each other? I'd hate to post my numbers based off the Ford Dash but it's all I have right now.

I think someone noted above that their fuelly (actual) and display (estimated) are right in line with each other. However mine is a bit off, I noted above that my display was 47.3 but it's now 47.5 and while fuelly says 45.8 this current tank seems to be a good one so at next fill-up that might go up to 46.0, so for my car the display has shown about 1.5 MPG optimistic when compared to the fuelly actual numbers.

The difference between 46.0 and 47.5 mpg in 50 miles is a little over 4 ounces. That's about 12 cents of gas or 0.24 cents per mile.

Estimates to run cars these days are 30-60 cents per mile with the average 23 mpg car costing 15 cents per mile for gas. We should keep a little perspective at these low fuel flows.

Sitting at a light in heavy traffic uses ZERO fuel in the Hybrid, unless the HVAC is on.