elle

Mileage and the short commute

Today I had to repeat the same short trip that I made two days ago and referenced above in this thread. Temp was 34 on Monday and 42 today, not exactly the same but pretty close. However since I got the 27.3 MPG for the short trip on Monday when the HVAC was on, I decided to leave it off this time and note the difference.

Current owners probably all know this and I've seen it mentioned a couple times in various threads - when the HVAC is NOT on to start with, you can go on EV right away in the "sneak out before the ICE wakes up" mode, meaning that even though the ICE is cold (in today's case it had been sitting for 3 hours at 42 degrees) you can start off in EV until the HVB gets low or when needed for acceleration, and then once one of those occur the ICE comes on and it will stay on long enough to charge the battery, power the car up the hill, and also warm the engine. I like this feature as it enabled me to drive the first 1/2 mile or so on EV only, whereas having the HVAC on would probably have caused the ICE to come on almost immediately. I don't recommend driving around in freezing temps just to eek out a few more MPG, but it wasn't that cold and I knew I was only going 2.5 miles, otherwise I would have just turned it on and OK so you get crappy MPG in the beginning but it makes up for it later.

So anyway, on Monday the short trip with HVAC and ICE on right away yielded 27.3 MPG. Today with the HVAC off and the car in EV "sneak out" mode while the ICE was still cold, see below for the 46.9 MPG.

Trip_46_9_20130320_zpsbff125e4.jpg

And on the return trip, two days ago I got 53.4 and today went the same route on the return trip, through the same drive-thru, and apparently got caught at a couple different lights since just a couple starts from the bottom of a hill may have an MPG effect on such a short trip. So today's return trip was was a bit lower at 49.6:

Trip_49_6_20130320_zps842d7b39.jpg

Of course the actual volume of fuel in the MPG difference on these trips is pretty darn small given the distance of the trips, but quite noticeable for those who routinely drive short trips when cold. There are other threads/posts of people complaining about that and probably had a lot to do with Fynack trading his car back in since he was likely getting those poor numbers on every day's commute and yes that would frustrate just about anyone.

No, those short trips of 2.5 miles are for an errand near my office, but since I was making the exact run two days later I figured it would make for a good comparison.

My daily commute is 60 miles each way, one tank of gas lasts about 3-4 days... in my 2010 FFH I averaged 40-42k miles per year, am going to try to work a day per week from home if possible to keep the miles down, but thus far it hasn't been viable to do so. So now after 11 weeks I have about 6,500 miles... should keep it under 40k per year, would be happy with mid 30k/yr.

No, those short trips of 2.5 miles are for an errand near my office, but since I was making the exact run two days later I figured it would make for a good comparison.

My daily commute is 60 miles each way, one tank of gas lasts about 3-4 days... in my 2010 FFH I averaged 40-42k miles per year, am going to try to work a day per week from home if possible to keep the miles down, but thus far it hasn't been viable to do so. So now after 11 weeks I have about 6,500 miles... should keep it under 40k per year, would be happy with mid 30k/yr.

OK you drive nearly twice as far as I do. tehVinner! Here's your Chicken Dinner! :woot:

So, any reason that one couldn't simply use an Optima battery in the FFH? They are great batteries and very tolerant. Is there any better battery for the FFH?

If it fits, no reason you cant use it, I used a pair of red tops in my F350 Diesel, Very tolerant, thought I had killed them by letting the truck sit, but after several days of boost charges to kick the voltage up, and then a slow week long charge, they both came back up full like new.