elle

Mileage and the short commute

I read in here the car takes awhile to warm up? Is this true? Are all hybreds like this? I drive a VW TDI ( Diesel ) and it will not warm up unless you drive it awhile. I take a ferry to work & sit & let the heater run for about a hour sometimes. Will I lose heat in the winter? I was looking forward to getting in a warm car again.

Based on my experience with owning a Prius and then a 2010 FFH and now a 2013 FFH, I see very little difference in the amount of time it takes to warm up and to start using EV.

Based on my experience with owning a Prius and then a 2010 FFH and now a 2013 FFH, I see very little difference in the amount of time it takes to warm up and to start using EV.

Same here, including the Camry H. The 10 does heat up quicker, mainly because its a larger engine. The 13 however has a much more effective cooling system so in the colder zones it looks like having a grill cover is a must if you want to stay warm. I saw a huge increase in temps when I added one, went from hovering around 160 at 55 MPH to 182 consistent, and cool down is now only 10* when on EV. My other cars didnt need a grill cover to keep warm, the 10 gets up to about 198 and stays there.

Same here, including the Camry H. The 10 does heat up quicker, mainly because its a larger engine.

The first 1½ miles of my daily commute are level or downhill... then have a steady approx 5% uphill that is about 3/4 mile long... so in either car by the time I would get to the top of the hill there in a 45 mph zone, the EV would jump in -- so if the 2010 is quicker I wouldn't know it, as the long uphill makes either one hold off until reaching the top.

Leaving my house is right at 55 MPH, living in the country, we aint got no stinking side streets, just highways! Because of that, the 10 is all ICE until I reach the first slow road of 35, which is about 20 miles or so. I cant say when it would go into EV on that trip, but my trip home is on 25 MPH roads for about 2 miles, then up to 45 uphill like yours, and depending on the temp it usually will kick into EV by then. The 13 is hit or miss, it can go right into EV out of the parking lot if I turn the HVAC off, or it will stay on ICE up until it hits 150* then will cycle. That can happen anywhere along the trip depending on ambient. I have found that within 3 miles from leaving the house in the morning, it will go into EV with the covers on, where it would be 5 miles before it would without them.

Same here, been too cold this winter. mid 20's this morning. What rain we had, then snow, then warm snap now cold again, I have 4" of ice surrounding my house.

I don't miss my Prius. I was happy when I bought it, but it didn't really do much for me in the long term. I saw a guy driving one today in my neighborhood and it looked like he was in a toy car. Funny how perspectives change. But I always did call the Prius a "flea" because that's how it's shaped. It looks like a flea to me.

My Prius was 'driftwood' which I guess is a nice name for beige... we used to called it "The Taco" as it looked like a taco shell driving down the road.

Wait until it warms up. It will improve some. At least its better than the EB models are getting, you would be seeing it in the teens.