elle

Mileage and the short commute

Was it cold/warm out? Seems to me like your car is having to use more gas/juice to maintain speed than mine does. Like youre going uphill or something.

It was in the 20's, and that road has a lot of hills, not shorty ones, but gradual climb/decents. Not enough downhill to charge the pack, but plenty of uphill to suck up gas. I found if I can keep the pack full and stay above 60 on this road its a lot easier.

Whoa guys, dont lump me in with Fynack, I am not going around bashing the car. Someone asked for a video, I obliged but gave that disclaimer that mine doesn't represent the good majority. If I wasn't convinced I got a bad one and the later ones are OK, I would not have gone ahead and ordered a replacement! Yeah, I am taking a beating on depreciation, but I would rather than than worry about this down the road.

I think I have a good illustration of how the short commute and the ICE and cabin warming up make a difference.

I had to run an errand at lunch today, which was 2.5 miles from my office, and it was about 34F so as shown below the MPG took a hit on the drive to the appointment.

Trip_27_3_20130318_zpscb95d0d0.jpg

But it was a short appointment and so 10 minutes later I was back in the car, which was still pretty warm. Took a slight detour to hit a drive-thru for lunch, so it was 2.5 miles out and 2.9 miles back, note the MPG difference:

Trip_53_4_20130318_zpseb5eda88.jpg

Edit: Jeff, you have better Brake Scores than me, you're a smooth operator.

98% lifetime.... when I have to stop short at a red light or in traffic I look at the dash and say "ughhh there goes my brake score"... a couple weeks ago traffic stopped quickly in front of me, 51% braking... I think that's the lowest I've had, most of them I try to plan ahead.

I gave up on the brake scores after a while. For some odd, really weird reason, if I am slowing down nice, and gradual and at the end its a smooth stop, and thinking cool 100%, I look, 98%? eh? Other times I think oh great 90%, look down 100%. What I did find is if I have to tap the brake at the end to stop it, thats when I lose 2%.

Why is it all stop signs are at the bottom of hills? I have this one road near my office thats all downhill and 25 MPH, so I am riding the brakes all the way down and can usually get a full charge by the time I get down, but dang it, I have yet to get 100% at the stop sign.

I also found the brakes on the 10 are nothing like the 13, a few times I caught myself not applying enough brake on the 10. WHOA! Got too used to the hard regen on the 13 and didn't really notice the 10 isnt like that, until I got off the freeway this morning, and slowing down noticed, hmm not really slowing down much, OH CRAP LIGHT! Yeah service brakes did some grinding on that stop, had some rust on the rear rotors, not anymore! LOL