lmp180psu

Engine warmup/staying warm

Well Had to go fill the tank today, so tested out with the grill fully covered, and no difference. At least it warms up faster now!

181* Gets no warmer than that.

Observations though, when cold it charges up the pack to full and once full the MPG doubles. The only time I ever see the instant go over 40 when driving 55 is when its cold and wont go into EV. Looks like it uses more energy recharging the pack than is saved driving in EV. Maybe I can get better gas mileage if I can keep it out of EV.

Observation #2 I was right! This morning I tried to keep it out of EV above 55 as much as I could and with 3/4+ charge, I was seeing over 40 MPG on the ICE. On average I saw a 10 MPG increase when I could keep the speed up to not kicking over to EV. I then got behind someone in a Highlander who was not maintaining speed and got into EV, and lost 2 MPG on the trip meter. Overall I saw a 3 MPG gain by staying out of EV at highway speeds.

Normally my trip in I would be right around 31 until I got close to work, and it was up to 34 when I hit the city, then gained another 5 MPG going through the city. If I could have maintained the SOC at 75% I may have actually seen 40.

When it comes out of EV the ICE has to recharge the pack, that is when it loses MPG. This is where I found the largest difference between our 2010 and 2013. Above 45 MPH, the ICE is just used to propel the car, no charging is done, the 13 the ICE has to propel the car and charge the pack, so it does double work. When the pack is full then it can put all its energy into propelling the car, and then it becomes more efficient. Too bad I cant switch EV mode off at highway speeds.

As I think about this, the one thing that comes to mind is the resistance in the Lion pack may be higher than it is in most other cars. Since we are seeing a run of cars that are having the same issue built in the same week, maybe there is a bad batch of packs that have a few cells with higher resistance, and not balanced properly, so it take more energy to recharge them than others. It doesn't explain the plug fouling mine had, but could explain the overall lower MPG these are getting.

With my RC planes, with LiPo packs. if I have one cell out of the 3 that has higher resistance, it takes longer to recharge the entire pack and have to balance charge it, or one of both low resistance cells could overcharge and overheat. Lion packs I have dont use a balance jack, so not sure if the Lion pack in the Fusion does either.

I dont know if there is someway to check this with the scantools or laptop software. Would be nice to know if this is possible.

It does it in the 2010 every so often, but hasn't done it yet in this car. Easy to know when, the ICE runs 100% of the time and NO EV.

It can do Xgauges, but I have no clue on how to set them up or to even know what to look for to do that. I prefer a good ol breakout box and multimeter over these computerized things.

Not a clue. It will show a max of 4 gauges at a time, stores trip data. Current, previous and tank summaries. It can be programmed for quite a few different readouts, but I have not spent the time to figure out how its done. Right now I have mine configured to show instant MPG, Average MPG, RPM and water temp. It also does scanning and can reset codes.

From what I understand, the shutters have nothing to do with engine operation, which is further proved by the fact their $40K diagnostic tool doesn't have any information on their operation, and they are purely there for aerodynamics. The covers I added have to have added some aerodynamics to mine which is why I am finally seeing better MPG on the instant at highway speeds. They have helped greatly in keeping the engine warm, though the temps are still below what I see in my other car without grill covers. Peak temp today was 184*.

If you have seen the new chevy commercial they are advertising shutters now on certain cars for helping improve fuel economy.

Well of course they open at 190, Ford doesnt want the car to overheat. Most likely they cycle at highway speeds to cool down the engine and then close for better FE. The whole purpose is not to keep the heat in, but to decrease aerodynamic drag. If they were to help with keeping heat in, they would cover the entire radiator instead of leaving gaps between the blades.

They started putting shutters in the Focus a few years back and touted them as to increase fuel economy.