lmp180psu

Engine warmup/staying warm

THIS is the same thing I found on mine. I do believe it directly relates to the poor MPG that mine is getting. Watch, a year from now they will have a fix for the cold running engines so we can have heat and get good MPG at the same time. I dont know why the 2010-12 can get warmed up so quickly and stay warm, and the 13 cools off so quickly. Even if I keep it on ICE at 55 MPH it takes a very long time to warm up to 180, in fact I can drive nearly 20 miles at 55 before it fully warmed up. The Ford engineer didnt think much of it and really had nothing to say about it, to me that just does not seem normal.

Eh whatever. I hope that they get it resolved soon.

Using this mode I discovered that the coolant temp must reach 50 C, or about 106 F before the ICE will shut off and let the car run in EV mode. In city driving the coolant and ICE temp can drop back below 50 C which will cause the ICE to continue running until the coolant warms back up.

That's similar to what my Prius used to do, system was designed to keep the emissions system above X degrees to maintain the least amount of emissions. So it seems strange that in the 2013 FFH you can 'sneak' a quick trip in without the ICE ever coming on as long as there is enough HV battery (the gas station is 0.9 miles from my house and mostly downhill, I can sneak there without the ICE coming on and get 999.9 MPG).... but this seems to only be a one-time-good-deal as once the ICE comes on for the first time, I've found that it will then keep to the rule you've noted above (at least in my experience).

Make sure the HVAC is off before you turn off the car. If you turn it off when you start the car, there is a good chance the ICE will still kick on.

Mine was parked in the garage, and even with HVAC off, once in a while it would kick the ICE on, I think it had something to do with SOC.

cranky driver without heat.

Thats a good summation.

What our cars need is a nose bra that covers the entire grill area, with an opening for the radar unit and parking sensors.

If I only knew how to sew.

Ford's literature implies that the shutter's function is to improve the aerodynamics of the Fusion at higher speeds. Has it been determined yet if they shut off the flow of air at lower speeds?

Can someone tell me the reference(s) on the grill shutters? I thought I saw mention of them somewhere, but did a search in the owner's manual on 'grill' and got lots of hits but only regarding sensors...