lmp180psu

Engine warmup/staying warm

So far the covers have shown a marked improvement in mine, and if I stay out of EV and keep the pack at 50% or above I am getting better MPG. It still isnt where it should be, but better than it was.

I think Ford gave up on his case and are no longer looking into it. According to Ford, his car operates within the normal specs and there are no issues with it.

Hey, you read the report too?

nope you got it, although I have been pursuing other avenues and now currently waiting on a CSM to contact me on this.

That just goes totally opposite what one should be doing in a hybrid vehicle. Cant believe they still dont have an answer for you yet.

You should avoid EV at higher power demands such as during acceleration and cruising above about 40 mph. The reason some are getting poor mileage in the 2013 is that it may be going into EV too often in their drive cycles. The EV system is only about making the use of GASOLINE more efficient. This is not an electric car. All the energy comes from gasoline and if you process more of it through the EV cycle to the wheels than need be, it's less efficient.

Well when you cant get it out of EV to maintain a steady speed.........

This is where most of my EV comes from, trying to hold 55 MPH it will go into EV and drain the pack, If I can get above 60 MPH I find it much easier to stay on ICE, but traffic wont let me do that most days, so I am constantly fighting the throttle to keep it on ICE and off EV. The days I can stay over 60 and out of EV I am seeing at least 40 MPG. Couldn't do it today, has some short bus driver hypermiling his school bus. That driver couldn't maintain a steady speed to save his life, and usually I get stuck 4 cars behind him. Then when we get to where the lanes split so we can go around, he speeds up to 60. So today, best I got was 38. I got frustrated trying to keep it on ICE so just set the cruise at 51 and left it there.

Just noticed in my CMAX manual under Calculating Fuel Economy it says:"In general, lower temperatures mean lower fuel economy"

Probably more accurate: "In general, lower temperatures mean lower fuel economy, and lower than you expect, and you may develop a love/hate relationship with your car and go back to your dealer wondering WTH is wrong with my car and they will test it and say nothing and then when it gets warmer things will seem better"

But I think they were trying to conserve space.

See they have the wrong people writing the manuals! Ever thought of working for Ford? :)

See they have the wrong people writing the manuals! Ever thought of working for Ford? :)

Ford already pays me since I am getting good MPG, remember? They pay me big bucks in PR money and I just do the 60-mile commute to the office as cover.

So, I have a question. If running in EV mode at higher speeds actually acts as a detriment to gas mileage, why did Frod set the EV capable speed so high?(I know, rhetorical question) Can I also make an assumption here, straight line, flat commutes that have average speed below 60mph will suffer most from this EV cycling? Can one overcome this EV cycling conundrum if they have long hilly stretches in both directions? I hope I am understanding this the right way, but would being able to "charge" on down hill stretches alleviate some of the demand on the ICE at these higher speeds?

I just want to note that before even buying the car, i am learning so much about reality and expectation, and learning some great tips. Also random question about cruise control, when you are in CC and you start coasting downhill, does the car take advantage of gravity for you or do you still need to hover over the brake?

I think for most of the cars, the EV has a positive affect, so dont take what I post as what others may see, it may only apply to mine, and others like mine that have not been able to get out of the 30's no matter what we do. IOW, those few owners whose cars were built around the same time as mine was, and are experiencing poor MPG results, may benefit from what I find with mine, but the majority of owners, like Jeff_h and hybridbear, are getting more normal MPG results.

On the straight and level if the EV management is done right, it can greatly help fuel economy, when it can use only enough juice from the pack during EV that battery recovery doesn't impact the ICE economy. If it uses EV th pulse or coast, until half charge and then regen using a small amount of ICE energy, that would be the most efficient means of fuel/electric management. It takes a lot more ICE energy to charge from under 25% charge to 75% than it takes from 50% to 75%.

Sorry, I dont mean to get everyone confused. Hope that clears it up some.