coach81

Topping off the gas, fuel gauge issue

Yep. If you look at my fills, the MPG varies drastically. I haven't quite figured out the top off point yet. If you fill it too fast it clicks off quickly, it must have something to do with the venting. It could just be my car, so will have to see if others chime in, but it does affect the calculations.

I am wondering if Ford put a bladder in the tank like Toyota did. That would explain a lot of the fill problems. After the 10th fill or so they have been pretty consistent at the first click. Since I use the scan gauge on this car, it tells you first click and no more so it can compute the averages and calibrate itself to the car, which it did on the 4th fill. From 1/4 tank on the dash I get roughly 9.3 gallons in. It usually ends up even with the top of the gauge, sometimes a tad over and sometimes under. I fill at the same pump park in the same spot so its consistent.

On the other Fusion forum, there is a complaint thread and it seems that after a few fills the tank is easier to fill and starts to take more fuel, while others still are wondering why they cant fill a 16 gallon tank with more than 12 gallons of fuel from empty.

My wife has gone 2+ weeks on her last fill up and the gauge this AM was still between 3/4 and 1/2 tank. Coming back from the grocery store yesterday I got 59+ mpg on a 5 mile trip in 30 degree weather. I love this car.

Shoot I went through the first tank in under a week, then again I do put a LOT of miles on. Just under 7100 on it now, but its been parked until tomorrow evening when I drive it to the dealer, which will either be its last time there for me, or will be its saving grace.

The trip shows you estimated gas used, not how many you put in. No way to calibrate it, which is one of the reasons I spent $172 on the scan gauge. Gives me really good accurate readings once zeroed in. It will also do a few other things I havent quite spent the time to figure out, such as state of charge, Kw used, etc.

I picked it up at autozone, that was with tax. It plugs into the ODBII port, and you can calibrate the MPH by GPS. I used a TomTom and an iphone app for that. Then you fill the car for 3 consecutive fills at the same pump parked the same way to one click when the tank gets to 1/4 level. Adjust the tank size, then set the gallons put in, and adjust as needed, by the fourth fill it should be within .1 of a gallon. Once you have that set, then the gauge MPG is within.2 of a mile.

You can setup various gauges, and add others when you know the codes. Some guys have it setup to show state of charge, and other extras. Mine is setup with instant MPG, average MPG, RPM, and engine temp.

I haven't figured out the codes yet, and not in any hurry to either, not until it warms up so I dont have to sit there with the engine running in the garage.

The MPG is for that trip only, it has a different screen that has tank average, previous day trips, and current trips. It also tells you how much the trips cost in gas, how many gallons used, how long you drove, average speed, max speed. Handy little tool, especially if you like to see what you spend on the car in time and money.

Not sure, like I said I really havent dug into it. Once it warms up and I can spend more time without having to have the car running to keep it warm, I will play with it some more.