GreatLakes

Cooling system stinks up car even in winter

I just bought a new Fusion Hybrid SE about a week ago, and within 2 days of driving it I noticed this smell. Smells moldy/musty after turning the AC off when it's been running for a little while. Seems like all Fords have this problem, the 2013 Escape I traded in for the Fusion had the same problem.

The main problem being addressed in this thread does NOT affect 2014 models.

Now, the standard, across the whole industry problem of a little musty smell in the AC vents can occur with any make and model and if it persists for you there are "standard" treatments that often do a good job of keeping the mold or mildew in check.

Sometimes just running the fan for a while with the AC off will help a lot.

Checking the drain to be sure that it is working is a good idea too.

We're still waiting. Supposedly "on the list" and one is being reserved for us. Service tech says 275 units are being produced, but he seems to know less about this than most of the folks posting here, sadly. Sigh.

Seems like all Fords have this problem,

Don't go making blanket statements like that Ttt. None of my (too many to remember) previous or current Fords have ever had this issue. All my parents' Chrysler vehicles had this issue (in Tennessee), but they only bought the high end cars, so I don't know about the grocery getters. :)

Hi folks,

If you're having trouble getting the parts in for your Fusions, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see what can be done to expedite them.

Ashley

My local dealer confirmed the musty odor during my service last week. They found the TSB 14-0099, but the service advisor said that they were going to order a part, which I think they said was a hose of some sort. They are not commiting to the whole TSB at this time and replacing the entire HVAC.

I'm bringing the car back on Friday to have the new part installed.

Stay tuned.

My local dealer confirmed the musty odor during my service last week. They found the TSB 14-0099, but the service advisor said that they were going to order a part, which I think they said was a hose of some sort. They are not commiting to the whole TSB at this time and replacing the entire HVAC.

I'm bringing the car back on Friday to have the new part installed.

Stay tuned.

I hope it's not the hose to connect to the YN29 chemical can to spray on the evaporator coils. If that's what they plan to do, don't let them. It doesn't work.

I won, I won!! :)

My A/C unit lottery number came up and the Dealer has a nice new one ready and waiting for me.

I am scheduled on July 28th for the work to begin.

I'll also take my little list of TSB's and my trunk squeak along with me for them to look at.

Tomorrow is the day I deliver the car to my Dealer for the A/C major repair, I hope the rental car is fun to drive.

I have my short list of TSB's and other minor complaints for them to look at while it's there.

The car has 29,700 miles on it, gotta get everything that needs fixing done now - although I have the ESP 125k Premium Warranty.

I'll report the progress.

The car is at the Dealer, they told me to expect a week for the A/C surgery, TSB 14-0037 GPSM update, FCIM update and trunk squeak.

I have a black Fusion SE 1.6EB for a loaner which I find very strange to drive after all those miles in the FFH. The performance and handling are about the same, I think the FFH eCVT is nicer than a 6-speed auto..

I kept looking for the braking Re-gen, but no joy in this car. So far the 1.6EB is showing 30.5 mpg's.

So far the 1.6EB is showing 30.5 mpg's.

What mpg did your FFH show for the same type of driving?

What mpg did your FFH show for the same type of driving?

Usually 39-44 mpg's, depending on A/C use and traffic.

My Dealer is 68 miles away, right into the worst Los Angeles traffic.

Hopefully your repair goes well. Keep us updated on the trunk squeak as well. I have a rattle in my trunk that I can't figure out so I'm interested in your diagnosis. I guess that should probably be addressed in the trunk rattle thread though :-)

Hopefully your repair goes well. Keep us updated on the trunk squeak as well. I have a rattle in my trunk that I can't figure out so I'm interested in your diagnosis. I guess that should probably be addressed in the trunk rattle thread though :-)

I noticed my trunk squeaks now too thankyouverymuchformentioningithybridbear. I probably would never have noticed it had it not been mentioned.

Just talked to the SA, my dash and A/C is in the process of being re-installed.

Surprisingly the doors did not come off, instead they took out the center console and seats this time. He said the team working on it has figured a faster way to get it done.

The S/A still said it was not pretty to look at right now - gutted. It's a good time to get a new cabin filter dont you think?

When they get it all back together they'll start on my other little list. Completion is 'sort of' scheduled for next Monday.

My SA just called and said my car was ready for pickup, the A/C has been replaced and all my list of TSB's and the GPS and A/C re-programming was done.

They didn't work on the trunk squeak because it was so minor and the repair team thought I wanted the car tomorrow, besides it was quitting time today.

Surprise, I told the SA that I'll pick the car up on Saturday and that gives them time tomorrow to look at the trunk squeak.

I also said that the squeak was a hot button issue on the Forum and they could be the first Dealership to find the real problem and fix it, to show up all the other Dealers.

I wonder if my prodding will work. My SA was on unpaid overtime when I talked to him and was tired, bless him.

We'll pickup the car on Saturday and I plan on pushing every button, dial, display screen, gearshift button, backup light, headlight, HVAC, cup holder and map light before I leave.

Plus, gonna look for greasy fingerprints, shoe goo, sun visors, power seat functions, wiggle the Console and try the Navigation, USB and Bluetooth for the phone.

What did I forget??

BTW, no joy on the car rental CDW from the Dealer, I thought so. But on the bright side I got a free cabin filter replacement!

I believe they need to remove the cowl so make sure the driver's windshield wiper rests on top of the passenger side's wiper when off, not the other way around.

I believe they need to remove the cowl so make sure the driver's windshield wiper rests on top of the passenger side's wiper when off, not the other way around.

I had the TSB-14-0099 done on June 3, so far the only thing that was not correct were the windshield wipers not being indexed correctly. The wipers were put back on just slightly off index. When I started the car the wipers moved slightly, when shutting off, the wipers moved slightly. I got the SA and he took the car back to the service dept. They reindexed the wipers and every thing has been okay since.

I'm happy to say, It has been two months and there have been no issues relating to this TSB being done.

That doesn't matter since the car will know that they are reversed and correct the wipers when you turn on the car.

Have you ever noticed that the wipers are "powerless" when the car is off? Just leave them in a weird state like upside down you described.

Acdii showed me that some time ago and it was pretty need to see the car reorganizing the wipers. Try it out its a fun party joke!

Edited by corncobs

That doesn't matter since the car will know that they are reversed and correct the wipers when you turn on the car.

Have you ever noticed that the wipers are "powerless" when the car is off? Just leave them in a weird state like upside down you described.

Acdii showed me that some time ago and it was pretty need to see the car reorganizing the wipers. Try it out iOS a fun party joke!

Unfortunately it did matter in my case. I've done the reversed wipers on purpose routine and watched them correct themselves. When you turn on the car, the wipers don't move at all. When I picked up the car that morning, the wipers were oriented correctly but moved slightly when I started the car, then moved slightly when I turned off the car. Something wasn't right. When they replaced the blades on the splines, they were slightly off. It was a simple correction.

My service adviser just called to tell me that they need to replace the whole HVAC.

I knew that, and I thought that she knew that, but she didn't. She thought it was only a hose. When she said she ordered the part, I was expecting her to say that it was a limited supply special order or something, but she didn't. So I expected this to be a stopgap effort on their part until they convinced themselves that they needed to do the whole TSB.

She just said that the part came in, so I guess it wasn't as rare as I thought. I told her how big a job this TSB is and that we will have to plan for next week when they can have the car for a few days.

She's been a great SA, so this was a surprise.

Unfortunately it did matter in my case. I've done the reversed wipers on purpose routine and watched them correct themselves. When you turn on the car, the wipers don't move at all. When I picked up the car that morning, the wipers were oriented correctly but moved slightly when I started the car, then moved slightly when I turned off the car. Something wasn't right. When they replaced the blades on the splines, they were slightly off. It was a simple correction.

Yes in this case I agree 100% that shouldn't be and obviously something to be corrected mechanically.

The original post sounded like you need to make sure the wipers are always aligned and oriented correctly.

After they replaced the wiper motor in mine, the passenger side slaps the cowl, will have that recorrected again next time I bring it in, before the warranty expires. Due for new blades too.