propelledjeans

93 Worth It?

E85 is typically 105 octane. But you're comparing apples to oranges because they're two very different fuels.

Personally- I'm a teacher, not an engineer. I would run what the owner's manual says. If it says 87 octane gasoline, run that. If it says E85, run that. If it says not to run premium, then don't. The people who designed the car know more than I do about what it is designed to run on.

Although E85 has a higher octane rating than commercially available gasoline, it isn't 105 Octane:

If a retailer chooses to post octane, they should be aware that the often cited 105 octane is incorrect. This number was derived by using ethanol’s blending octane value in gasoline. This is not the proper way to calculate the octane of E85. Ethanol’s true octane value should be used to calculate E85’s octane value. This results in an octane range of 94-96 (R+M)/2. These calculations have been confirmed by actual octane engine tests

-Changes in Gasoline Manual IV-Renewable Fuels Foundation

Like bbf said, everyone has their own opinions. Personally I put 93 in my Fusion because I see a noticeable difference in the way it runs. But this is just me, not looking to tell you what to do at all. The Fusions can run on 87, however the Fusion 3.0 is also a flex fuel, and ethanol is a very high octane. I believe somewhere in the high 90's. Ethanol is not 85 octane, that only stands for 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. I'm pretty sure this is correct. Ethanol burns hotter, and I'm almost certain the octane rating is very high. That said, it seems that this engine can take different fuels. My personal opinion, and my opinion only, I feel it runs better on premium. Best would be however, and I think we can all agree, pick a type of fuel and stick with it. Good luck! Let us know what you choose.

Ethanol does not burn hotter. A gallon of gasoline contains about 114,000 BTU. A gallon of E85 contains 81,800 BTU.

(note that the comment about "use of a non-recommended fuel may cause engine issues" is in the section of the manual before the octane rating, not after)

Made me get out the PDF for my hybrid. Specifically says not to use E85, diesel, methanol, leaded, etc. Only use UNLEADED (caps are theirs) or a max of 10% ethanol.

It only says the engine is designed for 87 octane and it is recommened to NOT use anything below 87 if you are in "a high altitude area".

I assume non-hybrids have similar warnings. And of course, flex-fuel engines can use E85.

But nowhere does it say you can not use an octane higher than 87. Just that it is designed for 87.

Here is my take on it. Based on 40 or so years of being a gearhead, mechainic, automotive enthusiast, whatever: You can run a higher octane if you want to. I am quite certain you won't hurt anything inside the engine. You may or may not see an increase in power, and you may or may not be wasting your money. If the engine has knock sensors it will advance the ignition timing until it detects a knock, then back it off a little. That is great for horsepower creation and also possible mpg improvements. If the engine does not have such a knock sensing system, the engine may actually produce less power by running the high octane gas, because it burns cooler, and the engine isn't taking advantage of the octane. No simple answer. All you can really do with this new computerized stuff is try different fuels until you get the results you are looking for.

I am running my '10 V6 SEL on 87 octane and it runs just great. I tried 91 for a few tanks but noticed no difference in power or mpgs. At $0.20 more per gallon it made no sense to use 91.