paulbuck

Expensive Tires!!!!

Anyone have the Michelin Energy MXV4's? I ran over a piece of metal yesterday, slitting my rear tire beyond repair. Replacement cost: $275 !!!!

I've never paid that much for a car tire before; have come close with tires for my Yamaha, but this? Wow!

Tire rack lists them for $181.

Uggg... I didn't pay much attention when I bought the car, but I sort of assumed Ford would use super expensive tires. Seems like the manufacturers especially like to put "low rolling resistance" tires on hybrids to jack up the MPG as much as possible. Low rolling resistance = expensive and short tread life.

When I go to replace mine, I'm switching to a cheaper tire with longer tread life. A tiny boost in MPG isn't worth the extra money. When I replaced my Highlander Hybrid's tires a few years ago, I went with Cooper at less than half the cost of whatever brand was on there, and I've had no regrets.

Hi mirak. :D Just as an FYI: While you are correct that low rolling resistance tires are often more expensive than a comparable non-LRR tire, they generally have a longer tread life due to a generally "harder" tread compound.

Also, the Energy MXV4 S8 has been used on the Lincoln MKZ since 2006 (I have them on my 2007), so they are not a Hybrid exclusive tire, although different models can have different specs.

Not trying to talk you out of purchasing a cheaper tire, just setting the record straight on tire compounds and tread life.

Good luck. :beerchug:

What's the tread life of the tires on the FFH? I thought it was something like 30k.

What's the tread life of the tires on the FFH? I thought it was something like 30k.

My FFH will hit 60k miles next week and is on the original tires (obviously much highway miles) and all would still easily pass inspection. I have a new set of Goodyear Assurance Fuelmax that I got from tirerack, I doubt that I will get 60k miles from this next set but they were $141 each instead of the over $200 each as the OP noted. If I only get 30k miles from this new set then "you get what you pay for" will be the case.

One of the U.S. D.O.E. Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity (AVTA http://avt.inl.gov/hev.shtml ) FFHs changed 4 tires at 60,500 miles for $530. They changed 1 tire at 33,000 miles probably for a mishap. The second program FFH replaced 2 tires at 34,000 miles for $432 and now has 53,000 miles. It's tires were rotated less frequently. These vehicles are used in the valley of Phoenix by a document messenger service and the AVTA is using them in long term tests. Here we see the future of our cars which is really neat.

Edited by lolder