Sign in to follow this  

Again, not trying to tell you what to do, but here is my advice/opinion: Leave the bulbs alone for now, and replace them when they burn out. At that time, you can either replace them with regular halogen replacements or go for the extra money for an HID kit. In the end, they are fog-lights and designed only to throw a low-aimed light in foggy (i.e. low speed) conditions. They are not high beams or driving lights that are meant to light up the entire road.

Wrong!!! In my morning commute, I regularly see several cars with HID headlights & foglights, and they are some of the fastest cars (And trucks) on the road! It's not foggy or raining, and sometimes it's even light out already. I don't know how much, but it's obvious that there is a significant amount of horsepower to be gained with this simple modification. :happy feet:

Yeah, sorry bbf, I just can't restrain myself sometimes. Now, tgif, just gotta cut the grass (so it won't interrupt my Sat-Sun) then it's finally beer-thirty! :beerchug:

Hopefully djcraig has a sense of humor on this subject! Me, if I really felt I needed to upgrade the lights, might just look into those Sylvania Silverstars, or whatever they're called. I find I can see just fine. But as an aircraft mechanic, I personally wouldn't want to complicate, and add more things that can fail to something as important as my headlights. Just how long do those HID ballasts last anyways?

When I was going to adjust my foglights, thanks to the 'great' factory settings they had for looking at the road 2 feet in front of my car, I was wondering, how do foglights really work? And therefore what would the proper aim be?

Found this at cartalk: Do foglights work?

Very informative, and another reason, in conjunction with Akirby's informative link, if you take the time to read it all and understand it, to not put HIDs in your foglights.

So I aimed my fogs so the cutoff of the beam went straight ahead and they are incredible in the (gasp!) fog and rain! I think that dispersed beam the HIDs would give would create that false sense of being better by making everything near the car really illuminate when you test it out after installing, but reflects off the fog and blinding you when you really need it.

Unfortunately, there will always be those who believe the other side of the story, that HID kits are better and that anyone serious about their driving should have them, your car isn't cool without them, a wing makes your family sedan faster or handle better, etc. Just like a friend told me what he taught his teenage daughter about dating: That boy will tell you anything you want to hear to get what he wants. They want these guys money, and are happy to take it.