jay2000

Any Problems With Your Rear View Camera?

The FFH is my first experience with a rear-view camera, and it's impressive! Rock-solid stability, a sufficiently wide-angle view without distortion, and a bright/clear display on the central NAV display.

The performance at night is better than expected. The BLIS demarcations are not overly distracting.

If your dealer has an equipped vehicle in stock, a short demonstration should set you at ease.

Edited by Scott A320

I am just about to pull the trigger and get a new FFH, but have my doubts about the rear view camera.

I don't have the NAV option, meaning my rear view camera shows up on the left side of the rear view mirror. Scott's message is spot on. My main contribution to the discussion, if you don't get the NAV system, is that the glass of the rear view mirror can over-ride the camera display if there is too much glare. So, I bought an iPOD anti-glare stick-on sheet from Wal-mart for a couple of bucks for a pack of them. Trimmed it to fit, placed it on the camera display area, and the glare is mainly a non-problem now.

Honestly, the rear camera option is simply great. It should be "standard".

My 2-cents. The audible backup "radar" is more valuable than the camera display. It'll beep if you get close to something while backing up. The beeps get more insistent as you get closer. I still prefer to have my head swiveled and looking backwards as I backup. That said, the rear deck on the fusion is high, so it's impossible to see things that are both near and close, and that's were the camera display is worthwhile.

Between the beeps and the display, you really are covered. It's nice.

The camera (both types of display), back up alarm, BLIS and CTA are all excellent. There are some CTA false alarms but that's not a problem. Get at least the 501 package with these features. I didn't need the moon roof but it's nice. Cracking the back of it open with a rear window down one inch gives a nice, relatively quiet ventilation in moderate weather with the HVAC off.

My camera saved my butt yesterday. Some idiot was flying through the parking lot while I was backing out. I had my head turned to look over my shoulder as I was backing... The nav screen is pretty big and I saw movement out of the corner of my eye (on the nav screen - the car was completely out of sight based on the C pillar and snow bank). I slammed on my brakes and the idiot didn't even slow down. Because of the angle and speed he was traveling the BLISS did not see him until he was directly behind me. By the way my car shook as he passed I would think there was about 2 inches of clearance between us. The camera lens gets dirty from the salt so I clean it when I wash my lights and windows.

Jon

The camera (both types of display), back up alarm, BLIS and CTA are all excellent. There are some CTA false alarms but that's not a problem. Get at least the 501 package with these features. I didn't need the moon roof but it's nice. Cracking the back of it open with a rear window down one inch gives a nice, relatively quiet ventilation in moderate weather with the HVAC off.

Thanks for the input. I definitely will do a test drive.

What about the complaint that it takes a few seconds to come on when you first start the car? Is that really an issue?

Jerry

Jerry,

Yes, I will 2nd the complaint of delay between starting the car and the display. If you jump in the car, hit reverse, the silly nav and sync is still going thru 'boot up' with splash screens (advertisements) until the rear view comes up. I'm usually already finished backing up. Very annoying and easily fixed if they so choose, otherwise, the good performance as others have stated is confirmed. I can't address the rear-view-mirror version.

Jack in Ohio

Love the backup camera but the colored lines make it just that much better. I can now back into a parking spot with ease, and know exactly how far back I can go before hitting the curb. Would never buy another car without it.

The FFH is my first experience with a rear-view camera, and it's impressive! Rock-solid stability, a sufficiently wide-angle view without distortion, and a bright/clear display on the central NAV display.

The performance at night is better than expected. The BLIS demarcations are not overly distracting.

If your dealer has an equipped vehicle in stock, a short demonstration should set you at ease.

I have to second Scott's remarks. Mine works great. In fact I wish I had it on my 05 Escape.

Dan

This backup camera option is one of those deals that makes you go, "where in the world has this been my entire life." It is something that I know cannot believe I lived without, as it is rock solid, and very clear. I have the navigation system, so I get a really nice image with a nice wide viewing angle. I especially like it when I am backing into tight parking garage spaces in public parking garages, as well as if I am backing out as it will often catch things that my eyes miss due to the location of the C-pillar.

The 501 package with the camera in the rear view mirror has no delay on startup like the Nav screen display. It is only a foot from your eyes though and your vision or eyeglasses must function properly. If you wear bi-focals or progressive lenses, you have to raise you head for clear focus. Your eyes also have to focus at close range. I look in the door mirrors, then the center rear view mirror (all distant vision) and then the rear camera part of the mirror.

I was in a motorcycle accident that broke 4 ribs and collapsed my lung (someone dropped antifreeze on the road in a roundabout). Having the camera and good side mirrors saved me a lot of pain for the next 3 months. I tend not to rely on those completely, just as I don't rely on the passing car sensor in the outside mirrors, but the supplemental use helps.

Bob

I have the NAV pakage and I like the backup camera.. One issue, albeit small, is the aim of the camera shows part of the license plate and the bumper.. Is there any way to revise the aim slightly to being the top of the display just behind the bumber.. I realize that the camera is a real wide angle type and therefore may not be able to be adjusted.. There doesn't appear to be any way to move it.

:doh:

Actually, I like the camera angle. I can really see exactly how close my rear bumper is to the wall/snowbank/whatever and can also tell that no one has stolen my vanity plate. :hysterical:

Besides, the viewing angle is so wide, There is not much above the field of view that I need for backing up.

Edited by rpreuss

The only problem I have with the backup camera is that when I drive any other type of car (as I must when I rent a car on a business trip), I truly miss that camera! But that has the odd effect of making me extremely cautious when backing up in any other car. I also agree with comment above that the angle of the camera is perfect -- I like knowing where things are in relation to the rear bumper, so having that in the picture helps in orienting yourself.

The only problem I have with the backup camera is that when I drive any other type of car (as I must when I rent a car on a business trip), I truly miss that camera! But that has the odd effect of making me extremely cautious when backing up in any other car. I also agree with comment above that the angle of the camera is perfect -- I like knowing where things are in relation to the rear bumper, so having that in the picture helps in orienting yourself.

Yup, I feel the same. After using the camera for almost a year and the blind side and cross traffic radars I get extremely nervous is my other vehicle when backing out. I never thought they could be so valuable.

Dan