Sign in to follow this  
seamusbleu

Simple spare key?

I know it takes two keys in order to be able to self program a third key. For that reason, I want to add a spare to the two keys you get with the new car (you do get two, right? I still haven't taken delivery of mine).

What I want to know is if there is a cheaper option than a standard key with the lock/unlock/etc buttons. Basically, a "plain" key that just has the security chip necessary to enable the ignition. If so, does anyone know how much such a key would cost?

I know it takes two keys in order to be able to self program a third key. For that reason, I want to add a spare to the two keys you get with the new car (you do get two, right? I still haven't taken delivery of mine).

What I want to know is if there is a cheaper option than a standard key with the lock/unlock/etc buttons. Basically, a "plain" key that just has the security chip necessary to enable the ignition. If so, does anyone know how much such a key would cost?

Yes, I just did that exact thing for the same reason. You can buy a non-remote key at the local Ford dealer for $25, including cutting. This has the necessary chip in it. I let our daughter use that key so she doesn't lose a good key. You can get blank plain Ford keys on Ebay for $10-15, but then you have to get it cut and hope it has the right chip in it. Just easier to stop by your dealer.

Edited by geopilot

There is 2 type of key that can be use as i can see in my owner 's guide , ITK (integrated keyhead transmitter) or standard SecuriLock coded key. Keep in mind that you need to have 2 ITK in hand to program a new one, if you only have lost one , you must take it to the dealer , and it can be costly. I would suggest to get a spare ITK in a safe place and get standard Securilock key if you need more than 2. You can have up to 4 ITK and a total of 8 key .

Thanks Fleck, that was a good answer. Of course I should have looked through the manual, but I didn't think of it. Now that I'm looking at it, I'm still not sure of something. You say you need 2 ITK's to do the reprogramming, but I'm not sure of that.

In one place in the manual (page 111) it says:

"How to reprogram your Integrated Keyhead Transmitters (IKTs)

To program a new Integrated Keyhead Transmitter yourself, refer to

Programming spare keys in the SecuriLock™ passive anti-theft

system section of this chapter. Note: At least two IKTs are required to

perform this procedure yourself."

That agrees with your statement. But in the programming section on page 116 it says:

"Programming spare keys

You can program your own Integrated Keyhead Transmitters or standard

SecuriLock™ coded keys to your vehicle. This procedure will program

both the engine immobilizer keycode and the remote entry transmitter

portion of the IKT to your vehicle. Note: A maximum of eight coded

keys can be programmed to your vehicle; only four of these eight can be

IKTs with remote entry functionality.

Tips:

• Only use Integrated Keyhead Transmitters (IKTs) or standard

SecuriLock™ keys.

• You must have two previously programmed coded keys (keys that

already operate your vehicle’s engine) and the new unprogrammed

key(s) readily accessible.

• If two previously programmed coded keys are not available, you must

take your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the spare key(s)

programmed."

But both the IKT and standard SecuriLock keys are referred to as coded keys two paragraphs above that. From that, and how I think the system should work, I would think that either type of key can be used for reprogramming. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to try and program a new key using at least one SecuriLock key.

So, has anyone verified that a SecuriLock key can, or cannot, be used as part of a reprogramming procedure?

This thread got me to thinking and reading the manual on these keys. Nice point is if you lose one you cannot program a new key. But if you lose both you'll need to get your car towrd to a dealer. OUCH! That's going to hurt the wallet.

Anybody know where, other than a dealer, you can get a key and if it's only a dealer, any idea what they hit you for to get the key and cut it? I did find one guy on Ebay who sells a blank for 2006+ Fords and he wants $135 for the blank.

Dan