timothyf

Cabin Air Filter

For instructions on how to install the cabin air filter, go to www.ehow.com/how_4911237_install-air-filter-ford-fusion.html.

The filter should be inspected about every 30 days and replaced when dirty.

It appears, at the present time, that the filter is available only from Ford.

This doesn't seem to apply to the FFH.

For instructions on how to install the cabin air filter, go to www.ehow.com/how_4911237_install-air-filter-ford-fusion.html.

The filter should be inspected about every 30 days and replaced when dirty.

It appears, at the present time, that the filter is available only from Ford.

Come on, every 30 days. Maybe once a year or 18 months. You don't even check the engine air filter that often and it sucks a heck of a lot more dirt than the cabin does.

Hi guys. :D Just as an FYI: If you check the Ford Scheduled Maintenance Guide that applies to the Ford Fusion/Fusion Hybrid, you will find that the recommended change interval for the cabin air filter is every 15,000 miles. The "recommended" change interval is based solely on mileage, not time.

Of course, it does not hurt to check it during that time, but it should normally need changing once a year or so, unless you drive in very dusty conditions.

And yes hedron, I understand you only said to inspect it every 30 days, not change it. I am only providing the information for those who have not read the Scheduled Maintenance Guide.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

OK. You made me look it up on my Hybrid Owner's Manual.

<Nit Picking Mode ON>

The ONLY mention of the Cabin Air Filter is on page 315 (Other than on page 297 where they tell you it's part number). On page 315, there is absolutely no mention of a mileage interval. Only under "Special Operating Conditions" such as extensive idling, low speed driving, heavy commercial use, or operating under dusty conditions, do they say "As Requierd - Replace cabin air filter, if equipped".

No where else, according to an Adobe search of the pdf, is it mentioned.

<Nit Picking Mode OFF>

So, check it as often as you like, and replace it when it is dirty. Hopefully, it's easier to get to than the headlights. On my Freestar, a piece of cake. On my Explorer, forget it.

Now, lets go have those :beerchug:

I did not receive a separate maintenance schedule with my FFH. The maintenance schedule is in the Owner's Guide. I do not see a mention of the cabin air filter. The Ford Scheduled Maintenance Guide mentioned is a generic guide that will be displayed if you key in the FFH but it is different in many respects from the info in the FFH guide, for instance the oil change interval. I didn't see anything pertaining to the FFH specifically. Does it even have a cabin air filter? Remember, this is a very different vehicle.

I did not receive a separate maintenance schedule with my FFH. The maintenance schedule is in the Owner's Guide. I do not see a mention of the cabin air filter. The Ford Scheduled Maintenance Guide mentioned is a generic guide that will be displayed if you key in the FFH but it is different in many respects from the info in the FFH guide, for instance the oil change interval. I didn't see anything pertaining to the FFH specifically. Does it even have a cabin air filter? Remember, this is a very different vehicle.

In answer to my own question, if you look up behind the open glove box, you can see a black plastic panel that says "Filter Access Door". It is not clear how this is opened. In my Avalon, it's in the same place and quick change oil shops screw up the door when they show you the filter when they try to sell you a new one.

Interesting thread. Anybody have a link on how to get access to the filter to change it? Or do we have to have the dealer do it?

Dan

In answer to my own question, if you look up behind the open glove box, you can see a black plastic panel that says "Filter Access Door". It is not clear how this is opened. In my Avalon, it's in the same place and quick change oil shops screw up the door when they show you the filter when they try to sell you a new one.

I am surprised that people still trust those quick oil change lube places.

Here is a nice video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

These days, I have all of my work done by places that I trust. I had an old Taurus back in the 90's where the lube place broke the micron air filtration panel causing lots of water to leak. With that same Taurus, a Jiffy Lube turned the engine on and revved the motor to make the oil come out of the drain plug faster. Another one put a oil filter on my dad's Chevy Van so loose that it fell off.

You don't need to detach the tether, just squeeze the glove box upper sides inward so the stops clear and lower it further. But I don't see how to open the filter access door.

Hi Dan. :D It is located behind the glove compartment door. Basically, you remove the glove compartment door by opening the door, removing a tether and pressing two tabs (one on each side of the glove compartment door). You will then see the cabin air filter housing and access door. You open the access door and remove the filter (noticing which side is up/down). Install the new air filter then reinstall and reattach all that was taken apart before.

It is certainly a do-it-yourself type of job for those who have any sort of mechanical skill.

There is a good tutorial which was previously posted. If I can find it I will come back and post a link.

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Dan

Here's how to change the filter. You don't need to remove the glove box door, just squeeze and lower it. You have to put a screwdriver in the door edge slots and pry gently to unclip it. You have to jiggle the filter under the damper.

cab_filter.pdf

Edited by lolder

Confession time. I've never changed the cabin air filter in any of my vehicles. How important is it? Does it make me a bad person? :stop:

Confession time. I've never changed the cabin air filter in any of my vehicles. How important is it? Does it make me a bad person? :stop:

Yes. You are grounded for 2 weeks

No TV

No Internet

No Telephone

Yes. You are grounded for 2 weeks

No TV

No Internet

No Telephone

As long as I can still drive:).

Ok, kind of stupid comment about the bad person. I just meant, what have I missed by not doing maintenance on the cabin filter? I'm not even clear on it's function, though by name, I assume it filters the air used in the climate control. I'm guessing that it's probably not important unless you are often in a dusty environment. Someone is sure to correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Hi rpreuss. :D Thanks for keeping it polite and amusing. :hysterical:

<Nit-picking mode on>

If you read my reply again, but carefully this time, you will notice that I stated "If you check the Ford Scheduled Maintenance Guide that applies to the Ford Fusion/Fusion Hybrid".

As you hopefully have now noticed, the information is located in the "Ford Scheduled Maintenance Guide", not the Owners Manual.

We are given a copy of the Scheduled Maintenance Guide when we purchase our vehicles (along with the Owners Manual, Warranty Guide etc., if we purchased new). It outlines all scheduled maintenance from the first 5,000 miles to 150,000 miles, in 5,000 and 7,500 mile increments.

Unfortunately, most people never bother reading it, put it in a drawer and forget about it, or lose it. :banghead:

<Nit-picking mode off>

For those who threw it in a drawer and/or lost it or purchased used and never received one, you can download the PDF version here: LINK: Owner Guides Fill in the drop downs with your vehicle information and click "Submit". Then click on "Scheduled Maintenance Guide". As you will see, the Owners Manual and other guides in PDF are also available.

Hope this information helps, and I am still up for the :beerchug: .

You are very knowledgable about the Fusion. Do you own a Fusion Hybrid? Did you look in your Fusion Hybrid Owner's Manual on pages 310 - 315 of the 1st printing? That is what I got with my vehicle. NO SEPARATE Maintenance Guide!!

You will notice that these pages are the same format as the traditional "Ford Maintenance Guide" provided with MOST other Ford vehicles. I am quite familiar with them, as I have owned several Fords in the past.

The Ford Fusion Hybrid does not come with a separate "Ford Maintenance Guide" since it's maintenance schedule is, in fact, QUITE DIFFERENT from a standard Ford Fusion.

My Scheduled Maintenance Guide, which is found on pages 310 - 315 of the 2010 Fusion Hybrid Owner's Manual (You do have a copy which came with your Hybrid, right?_) you will see that after the first 5000 mile service which is only a tire inspection and rotation, the interval is every 10,000 miles. Nothing in between. NO MENTION OF THE CABIN AIR FILTER. Just an oil change and a bunch of "Inspect level" etc. Change oil, rotate tires, inspect..... until 100,000 where you also change the coolant and plugs. CHECK YOU COPY OF THE HYBRID MANUAL.