royroddey

Sirius - how much are you paying?

I was considering just getting the lifetime subscription so I would not have to bother with the auto renewal. . Did some research, read a lot of negative comments in forums about poor customer service, etc. (And questioning how long the company would be in business to supply a "lifetime" of music)

Then I checked out the good old Better Business Bureau. (Use a NYC zip code as your location, since that is the Sirius Company HQ). What do you know? The Better Business Bureau gives them an "F" rating with over 2500 registered complaints.

I think I will stick with my own music library and FM radio. I don't trust companies that publish a rate, and then add on a "Royalty Fee" to cover their cost of doing business. That should just be part of their published rates.

No Thanks, Sirius. I'll wait till you go out of business and someone else takes over... if at all. What a waste. We all got it as part of our car, and paid for the hardware. I wonder what percentage of people who buy a car equipped with Sirius continue after the free trial.

I am going to continue with Sirius. I love it! Local radio is crap compared to this! So much choice! And I love the talk, NFL, Howard, Playboy, Boneyard, Alt Nation, Hair Nation, 70s on 7, 40s on 4, Symphony Hall. Its great!

Edited by Deathlok

I am going to continue with Sirius. I love it! Local radio is crap compared to this! So much choice! And I love the talk, NFL, Howard, Playboy, Boneyard, Alt Nation, Hair Nation, 70s on 7, 40s on 4, Symphony Hall. Its great!

Check your sig...unless you're talking about next year already...(Cards got their butts whupped) :finger:

I am keeping fingers crossed that Sirius XM will merge their billing under one so I can add the Fusion as a radio to my existing XM account.

I am keeping fingers crossed that Sirius XM will merge their billing under one so I can add the Fusion as a radio to my existing XM account.

Ya seriously, I think they are taking their sweet time because its more money for them, so when it comes time to renew I'm going to bring up the fact I'm paying for a full account already.

I think I will stick with my own music library and FM radio. I don't trust companies that publish a rate, and then add on a "Royalty Fee" to cover their cost of doing business. That should just be part of their published rates.

No Thanks, Sirius. I'll wait till you go out of business and someone else takes over... if at all. What a waste. We all got it as part of our car, and paid for the hardware. I wonder what percentage of people who buy a car equipped with Sirius continue after the free trial.

I have to agree. The company is an abomination. As XM (XM online) they screwed me and many others with a bait and switch when they changed to a "premium" online service. The response I got from their "customer service" was arrogant and rude. Just Google it if you have the stomach. The Sirius service I have as a trial with my new FFH provides horrible sound quality. Sure, if you are listening to talking heads and not music, it may not bother you. But I like music, and I hate poor sound quality. Especially in the wonderfully quiet confines of my FFH. So for me it is a no-brainer. Hook up the iPod, fill the hard drive with CDs, and I am good to go. See ya Sirius/XM.

PS... I love my FFH!

XM keeps wanting me to renew my subscription on the Camry. What fraking part of I SOLD the Sumbiotch dont they understand? :finger: I seldom listen to Sirius now that I have the HD hooked with all my music, so I am not going to subscribe once the trial ends.

Just got a letter from Sirius - my free 6 months is just about up. They want $157 for a 1 year subscription (after all taxes/fees).

I called them hoping for a reduced rate but no go at this time. Has anyone else had any luck getting them to reduce their rates? If so, what did you do?

Really like Sirius but not for $157/year.

I'm on Long Island NY. My letter asked $149.31 for the year. That's way too much for the 5 or 6 stations I occasionally listen to. My siblings have XM (one for about five years, one for two years) both of them pay less thn $100 for the year. I do not intend to renew. CDs and my Ipod are just fine.

Edited by hondaconvert

I have to agree. The company is an abomination. As XM (XM online) they screwed me and many others with a bait and switch when they changed to a "premium" online service. The response I got from their "customer service" was arrogant and rude. Just Google it if you have the stomach. The Sirius service I have as a trial with my new FFH provides horrible sound quality. Sure, if you are listening to talking heads and not music, it may not bother you. But I like music, and I hate poor sound quality. Especially in the wonderfully quiet confines of my FFH. So for me it is a no-brainer. Hook up the iPod, fill the hard drive with CDs, and I am good to go. See ya Sirius/XM.

PS... I love my FFH!

Ditto on the sound quality. Sond is much better on any FM station I tune to. So long Sirius.

I got a special deal in the mail. Renew until March 12 and its $75 for 12 months!

SOLD!

Sorry to hear all the negative stuff about Sirius. It was definitely a requirement when I looked for a new 2010 Fusion, along with the Sync. My first year with Sirius, in 2004, I paid around $129 for one year. After that I decided to plunk down $399 for a lifetime sub. That was over 5 years ago so I think it's paying for itself now. I COULD NOT IMAGINE NOT HAVING IT FOR ONE DAY! The Stern channels, ESPN, CNN, business channels plus all the music channels make it worth it. The sound quality is fine in Orange County, CA. I mix it up between Sirius, Internet Music Streaming ( Pocket Tunes App ) from my iPhone and my 80gig iPod. The CD player in my car has never seen one CD from me.

AM/FM/Terrestrial/ Old School Radio sucks badly, at least in So Cal and in my opinion.

I listen to AM in the morning on the way to work, cant get that on Sirius, and I have yet to even turn on the Sirius in my flex in the 3 weeks I have had it, seldom listened to it in the Sport, and after having XM for the past 2 years in the other cars, and seldom used it, I decided not to renew the Sirius when they are up. My only one left is the XM portable I gave to my mom, who has yet to use it, but that one costs me about $30 for 3 months. After canceling the Hyundai radio, it was the primary for $14.99 a month, the portable is $9.99 a month, and will continue to be that rate unless I do something to the account. If they can offer a package price for all 3 radios for less than I was paying before I may reconsider.

The Serius sound quality in my 2010 Fusion is outstanding and I really love the selections. At the end of 6 months, Serius offerred 3 months for the price of 1. Since then they sent me some other offer that is better than 12 months for the price of 10...just haven't read it yet. If you have noticed, the folks in the music publishing business are demanding more and more every day in hundreds of lawsuits so I don't think Serius is really making a killing. Pink Floyd just settled a suit today with their label over internet downloads.

My six month free subscription is almost up. I'm leaning towards letting it lapse, but would keep it for a good deal. What kind of deals have people been getting lately?

Sirius will "not" be around in 3-4 years if they keep going the way they have been. They are losing more customers each month then are signing up. Hang on to your money or at least, only sign up for a few months a time.

I can't argue with this statement.

I second it -- last year I wrote a research paper for a finance class and my topic was comparing terrestrial, satellite, and internet radio. One of the stats I remember is that since their launch about 8 years ago, Sirius has lost over $9B (with a 'B') and continues to lose money (merging with XM was to help with that so they wouldn't spend so much advertising money against one another and advertise against other formats) -- so sooner or later when stock sales or other financing runs out, it will be time to close the doors.

Edited by jeff_h