Noel

Dreadful haze with oncoming lights when driving in the rain with wipers on!

This is a repeat from the other wipers post, but I need to get some recommendations on this very troubling issue. When my wipers move they leave a trail of quite uniform haze on the glass, that disappears momentarily when wind finishes the drying process. It is very troubling when driving in the rain at night only, when oncoming traffic headlights causes a very significant reduction in visability. After reading the other post on wipers, I went out and bought Valeo blades, and cleaned the glass with Strongs Invisible Glass (smells like acetone). It's worse now! I called a local auto glass shop, and they said they have seen this on some cars and said the only resolution was a new windshield. I have not contacted the dealer yet on this. But IMHO it is more than an annoyance. I don't have the best night vision anyway, and this is really troubling.

Anyone else?

Any ideas? I thought maybe rain-x?

Thanks in advance,

Noel

This is a repeat from the other wipers post, but I need to get some recommendations on this very troubling issue. When my wipers move they leave a trail of quite uniform haze on the glass, that disappears momentarily when wind finishes the drying process. It is very troubling when driving in the rain at night only, when oncoming traffic headlights causes a very significant reduction in visability. After reading the other post on wipers, I went out and bought Valeo blades, and cleaned the glass with Strongs Invisible Glass (smells like acetone). It's worse now! I called a local auto glass shop, and they said they have seen this on some cars and said the only resolution was a new windshield. I have not contacted the dealer yet on this. But IMHO it is more than an annoyance. I don't have the best night vision anyway, and this is really troubling.

Anyone else?

Any ideas? I thought maybe rain-x?

Thanks in advance,

Noel

This is not a recommendation, because I am not an expert on what is causing your problem. I have applied "Final Detail" , an expensive but quick to apply body wax to my Fusion from when it was new, to protect the paint. I have used it on two other vehicles in the past as well. I apply it to all the glass as well. I barely need the wipers because the rain beads and rolls off, unless the rain is very heavy. It reminds me of Rain-x that I used to use 15 years ago, but as I recall, Rain-x back then would leave a film in the wiper path after a few weeks. Final Detail doesn't do that for me, but then maybe there is something special about your windshield. Good luck.

You didn't say if you have Rain-X or similar - I used to love that stuff - now I hate it and this is a typical problem. That stuff does not

wear away easily.

The Car Talk Guys (from PBS) claim that the stuff you use to clean contact lens works really well. I guess this has something in it to dissolve certain compounds. I have never used this but curious if it works. I have gone to being really careful with the windshield after messing up my last car and then lightly scratching the windshield trying to get that gunk off. Big mistake and I learned my lesson, I will not use that stuff again. Great when it works, a total mess and dangerous when it doesn't as in your

case. I have the Valeo blades and think they are great, the OEM Ford ones are terrible.

Now, if you didn't use Rain-X, you should not need a new windshield. I have found that directing the defroster on cold-ish temperature helps alot when it's raining.

Stone's I/G should not be an issue by itself, but if you put that over a Rain-X windshield, I

could see how it might make it worse. You need something to break the bond between

the Rain-X and the glass - but not sure what that would be without damaging the glass.

Edited by smr2112

Stone's I/G should not be an issue by itself, but if you put that over a Rain-X windshield, I

could see how it might make it worse. You need something to break the bond between

the Rain-X and the glass - but not sure what that would be without damaging the glass.

I had this very issue several years ago and basically, it came from dripping diesel from vehicles ahead of me on the interstate. A GM shop guy told me that automatic transmission fluid can do it as well, and both are nearly impossible to release their bond.

I am a fan of Stone's products, but I think the solution I had back then would work now. Basically, I just used 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. A large bottle is cheap and soaked the heck out of the windshield. I used several clean microfiber cloths.

Assuming leaking vehicle fluids ahead of me are going to attack again, I'm sure I'll eventually run into this. But, that is what I'll try again.

I had this very issue several years ago and basically, it came from dripping diesel from vehicles ahead of me on the interstate. A GM shop guy told me that automatic transmission fluid can do it as well, and both are nearly impossible to release their bond.

I am a fan of Stone's products, but I think the solution I had back then would work now. Basically, I just used 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. A large bottle is cheap and soaked the heck out of the windshield. I used several clean microfiber cloths.

Assuming leaking vehicle fluids ahead of me are going to attack again, I'm sure I'll eventually run into this. But, that is what I'll try again.

Interesting. Well, I don't know if the dealer put rain-x on, but I thought since I cleaned the heck out of it with Strong's, then clay, and since there was no improvement as mentioned, I had some rain-x and decided to give it a try. Definitely no better--in fact, the same. I'm thinking maybe there was rain-x on it to begin with, and so adding more did not affect the outcome. I don't know what to make of it. I can try alcohol and see what happens. I also have a product that is hydrofluric acid based and is fantastic for removing water spots from glass, however I'm thinking acid is not the correct solvent for whatever is on this window.

Addendum: several times over with 99% isopropyl, then Strongs again. No remove the rain-x I just put on a few hours ago. When I pour water onto the top of the windshield it stays in long rivulets, exactly as it did when I just applied rain-x. From their website, it appears Bon Ami or their glass cleaner will remove it. I hope so I think this is the cause of it. Either originally applied by the manufacturer, or applied by the dealer when I bought it 6 months ago. If rain-x glass cleaner does not resolve the issue, I will go back to the dealer as it is unsafe as it is right now.

Bon-Ami might work! Or any other non-scratching cleanser like Bar Keeper's Friend. Just be very, very careful and gentle

with it, because it can still scratch if you over do it. Use a Microfiber, not a sponge.

Bon-Ami might work! Or any other non-scratching cleanser like Bar Keeper's Friend. Just be very, very careful and gentle

with it, because it can still scratch if you over do it. Use a Microfiber, not a sponge.

Thanks for that. I wonder if the dealer maybe used Rain-X for washers. That would explain it!

That haze left behind after a wiper stroke is normal on a new windshield and with new wiper blades. It disappears in an instant if the vehicle is moving, so I pay no attention to it. Get some rock/sand dings and some dirt on it, and it'll go away.

That haze left behind after a wiper stroke is normal on a new windshield and with new wiper blades. It disappears in an instant if the vehicle is moving, so I pay no attention to it. Get some rock/sand dings and some dirt on it, and it'll go away.

Hmm, that is an interesting take. I wouldn't have guessed this as normal since I don't recall every noticing it on the other couple of new cars. My wife's 07 FEH did not seem to have this. It's a thought however. Be easy enough to test. I so do find it very distracting in the rain at night though. Perhaps a good sandblasting eh?!

Hmm, that is an interesting take. I wouldn't have guessed this as normal since I don't recall every noticing it on the other couple of new cars. My wife's 07 FEH did not seem to have this. It's a thought however. Be easy enough to test. I so do find it very distracting in the rain at night though. Perhaps a good sandblasting eh?!

My wife's Edge did it, my F150's did it, and my Fusion did it. All Ford's granted, but that's what I like.

Mine seems to be much worse when the windshield is cold. I found running the defroster to warm it up helps a lot. In fact I just mentioned this to my wife a couple of weeks ago.

Yep, that is my experience too. I guess it's a normal condition for this vehicle.

Use an ammonia based window cleaner, those still work the best to remove oil. Sprayway made some, but I noticed now it is ammonia free, and may not work as well as it did. I bought several cans years ago, and still have a couple left. You can also try using Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle. Mix it so that when you spray it on you wind up with a thick paste while scrubbing.

If you REALLY want to clean the glass, I mean really clean it, use Cerium Oxide paste and a polishing pad. This is difficult to use and if done improperly can leave marks. It is used to remove scratches and polish glass. Rain-x used to have a glass cleaner that had this in it, but is no longer available. I guess too many people messed up using it. It is a very fine abrasive that if used improperly can leave streaks or swirls in the glass. If used correctly though leaves the glass super smooth and crystal clear.

Heck, I just used the advise of a detailer and used body clay with a lot of soapy water. Rain-x gone and a bright new non- streak windshield.

Steve

Heck, I just used the advise of a detailer and used body clay with a lot of soapy water. Rain-x gone and a bright new non- streak windshield.

Steve

Problem solved. I swung by the dealership yesterday, a different one than where I bought the car from. I explained the whole issue, then we walked across the lot to a new 2010 Fusion and ran the wipers, since it was raining. Absolutely NO smear/haze as I am experiencing. The service manager agreed, something was amiss on my windshield.

After describing all I've done so far, including both clay, and Stoners Invisible Glass, plus Stoner's Terminator (alleged to remove silicone based sealers), all to no avail whatsoever, the service manager said what he would do is an acid wash of the windshield. I happened to have some leftover an acid-based product called "Superbowl" I bought a few years ago to get rid of water spots (salt deposits) on the glass and clearcoat of an older car I owned. Superbowl is just that, glass acid wash. I diluted 1:1 per instructions, swabbed it over the entire windshield, left in contact ~60 seconds or so, hose-rinsed it very well of course (got me protective eyewear and rubber gloves doned!), and voila, zero residue. The glass is now crystal clear with or without the wipers moving. I kind of thought about doing that previously but figured acid was not the correct solvent for whatever was on my glass. I'm very glad the guy recommended I do this! The dealership I bought the car from swears no glass treatments were done, at least intentionally. I know there was some though, because water did bead up on the glass before the acid wash. Now water sticks and wipers are mandatory, even if they do work perfectly now. Believe it or not, I am tempted to look into a tx that does not lead to the issue i had before!

Cheers,

Noel

I bought some Bon Ami, but when I read the warning: do not use on glass or mirrors! I decided against it!