mirak

Little mechanical problems popping up...

Darnit. I've owned my FFH for about 4 months / 4k miles. Driven like a dream until just recently.

The past few days, I've been running the heater at low speed (1 or 2 bars) and noticed a quiet, continuous chirping sound when the fan is running. Sounds just like a cricket.

Also, just today, I noticed occasional brake squeeks. Can't always replicate it. Only seems to happen (or I can only hear it) right before I come to a stop. Happens in forward and reverse braking.

I guess it's time for my first warranty work. This stuff is covered, right? What is the deductible, and do I have to pay it twice for each problem?

Also, any diagnosis of my problems would be appreciated. It's going to suck if they really have to dig into my car (remove the dash, etc.) to fix the chirping. I worry they might cause more harm fixing the problem.

Sorry to hear of your issues. You've got bumper-to-bumper coverage 3/36, no deductible. Let us know what they find. I just passed 5500 myself, so far so good.........

Jack in Ohio

Darnit. I've owned my FFH for about 4 months / 4k miles. Driven like a dream until just recently.

The past few days, I've been running the heater at low speed (1 or 2 bars) and noticed a quiet, continuous chirping sound when the fan is running. Sounds just like a cricket.

Also, just today, I noticed occasional brake squeeks. Can't always replicate it. Only seems to happen (or I can only hear it) right before I come to a stop. Happens in forward and reverse braking.

I guess it's time for my first warranty work. This stuff is covered, right? What is the deductible, and do I have to pay it twice for each problem?

Also, any diagnosis of my problems would be appreciated. It's going to suck if they really have to dig into my car (remove the dash, etc.) to fix the chirping. I worry they might cause more harm fixing the problem.

The fan noise might be bearings, but it might also be the squirrel cage blower wheel contacting the edge of the plenum circle that seals the airflow at the edge. That would be covered under warranty, and access would be behind the glove box. Definitely deal with it before the 3/36 warranty ends, as it could get expensive, working in that area.

I had some funny noises on my Daughters front brakes on her 05 Escape. Since I had put new pads on the fronts months before(the cheap ones which are now days semi-metallics), I felt I was already involved. The dealer thought it might involve the front wheel bearings, and wanted several hundred dollars to investigate. But then a conversation with the service clerk resulted in us meeting the mechanic who was an expert on Escape front ends, a fellow hiker, and he brought it in and tightened the front wheel bearing nut (big nut), for free on his lunch break. I could feel the difference in reduced wheel wobble afterward, which can affect brake noise. That took care of 60% of the noise. The rest of the noise I got rid of with some silver gooey looking spray they sell at Autozone for brake noise, that you spray liberally on the rotor and pads. I had only 10% confidence that it would work, but for the $10 cost I tried it, and man did it quiet down those brakes. It has been 2 months now, still quiet. My Daughter is very happy, thinks I know what I'm doing. I'm not advocating you do any of this, just making conversation. :shrug:

I've had a lot of small nagging issues as well. Because of the cold weather the heat has been on full blast while the car warms up and I've noticed while the fan is turned all the way up, it emits a high pitched whine. It sounds like a dog whistle. My brakes squeak when I'm driving around at low speeds but it doesn't always happen so I'm not going to get them looked at.

My windshield is also completely covered with acid rain (?) stains. The dealer said to use glass polish and that didn't work. They gave me the car like this so they better give me a new windshield or something. The car came right from mexico to michigan so I don't get how it could be acid rain.

And where's our damn hybrid cargo protector! :banghead:

Took my car into the dealership - and couldn't reproduce the chirping. The next morning, it's back. Car made me look like an idiot.

It's obviously the really cold weather. I've used the heater before, but this chirping never occurred until things got really cold during my morning commute. The car was parked in a warm garage at the dealership.

Same thing with the squeeky brakes. The mechanic actually told me about the brakes, "yeah, it's because of the cold."

Okaaaaay... I don't really care about a few squeeks from the brakes as long as there isn't a serious problem, but the chirping is really annoying, especially because the car is so quiet otherwise!

If the thing is chirping tomorrow morning, I'll just go straight to the dealership and be a little late for work.

I have the high-pitched whine as well when the fan is full-blast. It seems to be heater (or cold weather) specific because the A/C did not do it. In fact every '10 Fusion I've been in where the heat has been on full because of the cold has had the whine. It *is* annoying but I think we might have to get used to it.

Jon

I've had a lot of small nagging issues as well. Because of the cold weather the heat has been on full blast while the car warms up and I've noticed while the fan is turned all the way up, it emits a high pitched whine. It sounds like a dog whistle. My brakes squeak when I'm driving around at low speeds but it doesn't always happen so I'm not going to get them looked at.

My windshield is also completely covered with acid rain (?) stains. The dealer said to use glass polish and that didn't work. They gave me the car like this so they better give me a new windshield or something. The car came right from mexico to michigan so I don't get how it could be acid rain.

And where's our damn hybrid cargo protector! :banghead:

I haven't had the chirping sound of the fan; however, I have heard my brakes squeak too (I'm approaching 2000 miles), and I also believe it is due to the cold weather. Like you, it only happens when the car is already going slow and just about to come to a stop, but I can't always replicate it. I'll let the mechanic know and see what he thinks next time I bring it in for service.