Sign in to follow this  
dohertycm

Automatic Lights

My 2010 SE did not come with the automatic lights.

Is there a way to install this kit or upgrade it...has anyone done this mod?

Are you referring to Daytime Running Lights (DRL), or the automatic light feature that turns on the lights when it gets dark?

Are you referring to Daytime Running Lights (DRL), or the automatic light feature that turns on the lights when it gets dark?

Both....

I have the 2010 SE with the 2.3 4cyl.

Edited by dohertycm

Both....

I have the 2010 SE with the 2.3 4cyl.

There are several posts about turning on the DRLs on the forum. The dealer does it with their computer in 5 minutes, sometimes at no charge. Can't answer your other question.

Hi dohertcm. :D As FFHdriver stated, the DRL's can be easily enabled/disabled by the Dealership Service Department. They need to connect the car to the Diagnostic System computer and access the "Exterior Lighting Menu".

Adding "Automatic Headlights" is a much more difficult job. At the very least, you would need to take apart the dash to add the ambient light sensor (and possibly the wiring harness for it), the automatic headlight switch and have the car programmed for that function. While nothing is impossible, this is one of those modifications that would not be worth the time, money or trouble. My opinion of course.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Thanks for the responses. DRL...I will have them turn that on. That will be another insurance deduction.

Autolights...well that intrigues me with your answer. I will have to research that a little further and see what parts are actually install to make the system work, I would guess that all of the wiring is there, just not the components. I will start my digging.

Hopefully your insurance company will give you a discount. Mine didn't.

Good luck with the DRL. At the dealer where I bought my car, they never heard of it, and wanted to charge me an hour labor ($98) just to hook up the computer, and they were saying they weren't sure it could be done anyways, leading to some doubt on my part.

Luckily, I went to another dealer, and I got to talk directly to an experienced tech who admitted he never heard of it either, saying it was too new of a car for him to have fiddled with it. But he said it's worth a try and talked the 'consultant' into only charging 1/2 hr labor, which I felt was OK, as I've spent worse money in my life. He was happy to learn about it after he succeeded.