Sign in to follow this  
pcgsy

Disabling Trunk release button

I have noticed that there is no way to deactivatethe trunk release button. In other words there is no way to secure the trunk even with the car off and alarm activated. If someone breaks the window they can get into your trunk. Also the trunk open button is not deactivated in the valet mode so that any valet can get into the trunk. My solution was the disable the trunk release by pulling the wire connector at the trunk lock; however, this will give you a trunk ajar warning. Jumper the orange grey strip wire to the black grey strip wire and the warning will go away. Of course you will not be able to use the remote trunk release on your key and have to open the trunk manually but this a reasonable trade off for security of your items.

Edited by pcgsy

If someone goes as far as breaking the window, it wouldn't surprise me if they popped the trunk with a crowbar anyway. The locks and alarm are meant as theft deterrents and little will actually prevent someone that wants in. I'd pull the trunk release button out and remove the wires off it if it were that important to me. By the way, cars that have a trunk cable release have no way of preventing a trunk entry if the window is broken either.

The battery.

Hey, if they take my battery then I can can have pass through back seats like everyone else.

If someone goes as far as breaking the window, it wouldn't surprise me if they popped the trunk with a crowbar anyway. The locks and alarm are meant as theft deterrents and little will actually prevent someone that wants in. I'd pull the trunk release button out and remove the wires off it if it were that important to me. By the way, cars that have a trunk cable release have no way of preventing a trunk entry if the window is broken either.

Late model Miatas had this problem solved. Turning the trunk key CW opened the trunk. Turning it CCW moved a lever that prevented the cable from opening the trunk. Earlier models could be modified with a Dremel.

I honestly have never heard of anyone breaking a window to get into the trunk. If they see something in the car they want they break a window. If they think there is something in the trunk they go straight for the trunk with a screwdriver, crowbar, or good kick. It is quieter, simpler, and faster than going through the window. Seems to me that it is a non-issue.

Jon

I have noticed that there is no way to deactivatethe trunk release button. In other words there is no way to secure the trunk even with the car off and alarm activated. If someone breaks the window they can get into your trunk. Also the trunk open button is not deactivated in the valet mode so that any valet can get into the trunk. My solution was the disable the trunk release by pulling the wire connector at the trunk lock; however, this will give you a trunk ajar warning. Jumper the orange grey strip wire to the black grey strip wire and the warning will go away. Of course you will not be able to use the remote trunk release on your key and have to open the trunk manually but this a reasonable trade off for security of your items.

I don't know how a thief thinks but would imagine once inside the car you would almost immediately start looking for an easy way to access the trunk unless you only wanted what was on the seat or floorboard - doesn't the FFHs key need to be on and the vehicle in Park for the trunk release button to work ?

- doesn't the FFHs key need to be on and the vehicle in Park for the trunk release button to work ?

All you gotta do is open the door and the button is active. Compared to a Pontiac G5 I had which used a "disable electric lock" feature in the form of a lever you flipped next to the lock, it is silly that the Fusion doesn't have something similar.

There is no "valet" feature for the interior, no locking compartments in spite of our having four compartments and a drawer. The Ford Fusion is at the mercy of the wolves, as far as interior security is concerned.

Edited by lrymal

The lawsuits must have been piling up so FoMoCo did something about it with the glow-in-the-dark emergency release in the trunk and no (easy) way to disable the button ?

The trunk release inside the trunk was a federal mandate. I don't think it says anything about not disabling an interior switch.

Jon

The lawsuits must have been piling up so FoMoCo did something about it with the glow-in-the-dark emergency release in the trunk and no (easy) way to disable the button ?