Sign in to follow this  
Zack

First experiences

Hi everybody,

After 2 1/2 months of waiting FFH is in garage. Ice blue, gray leather interior. Took it same day to Tint King for windows tinting and protective film on the hood's leading edge.

For starters I can tell that I can't regret enough for not taking NAV. Multiline blue display in the center console is nice but NAV screen is hugely more informative and easier to work with. I think I will be looking to somehow buy NAV unit from some crushed FFH or find it some other way. No aftermarket NAVs.

Impressions, PRO:

* Love the styling even that at rear designers kind of lost inspiration with lights

* Like the equipment, dash, overall interior

* All my friends (men and women) liked the car, a lot ..

* Sony sound is great, worths every dollar I paid for it

* Like SYNC even that still don't know how to use more than 30% of it

* Like that FFH has top notch tires, not some cheapo ones just to get by

* "Feels" solid when driving, unlike many other cars. This car replaced Mazda 6, quite difference in that department

Impressions, CON:

* After first 1000 km we have unimpressive MPG, 6.7 l/100km (35 MPG), my son got new Jetta TDI just 2 weeks ago and he is immediately in 6-6.2 l/100 km range from day one

* EV switches into gasoline engine propulsion on slight touch on gas, I am yet to see it go to 45 MPH and then switch to gas.

* No NAV/backup camera = huge mistake > all mine

* Very disappointed that there was no choice of tan leather/ 2 tone interior for Canada. I don't get that one. Costs the same, waited 2.5 months until our friends in Mexico built it anyway, why couldn't I get tan color?

* Battery capacity is clearly undersized (underpowered). EV is ON for too short periods of times and (book says) can do only 1 mile in EV only. Either better battery has to be used or drop some weight and instead of 100 pounds of batteries use 200 or more. I believe that car is overweight and I am pretty sure that weight of parts could be reduced to make car lighter

* Very few phones on tested list are approved as complete accessory for SYNC (not single Blackberry or even iPhone makes it)

This is work in progress so there will be more

Zack

This is not an electric vehicle. Don't bother trying to accelerate in EV mode unless you have plenty of time with no one behind you. The electric motor/generators (2 of them) and battery are there to provide better acceleration while the ICE is running, provide energy recovery by regenerative braking, provide AC and accessories while the ICE is stopped and to improve the equivalent efficiency of the ICE, especially at lower speeds (<45mph). More batteries would not improve the mpg because all the energy for the car comes from gasoline and the generation/charging/discharging/electric motor losses are substantial. So long as the ICE cycles on and off in a hybrid, the battery is big enough. The efficiency of the ICE is improved at slower speeds by loading it more during charging and then shutting it off and running in EV mode a short period. Instead of having even a smaller engine to improve low speed mpg, they run the ICE on a duty cycle part time. Mpg in cold and hot temperatures will be lower, particularly on short trips. Most owners are seeing better numbers than the EPA figures and the car encourages improvements in driving techniques. You can also drive it with a heavy foot and it will only get 32-35 mpg but; ALL THE TIME. Google Power Split Device, Power Sharing Device, eCVT transmissions, Planetary Gears and all the information about how Prius's work. The Ford is almost identical but with different parts and slightly different architecture. Look at these sites: http://www.eahart.com/prius/psd/ http://www.wind.sannet.ne.jp/m_matsu/prius/ThsSimu/index_i18n.html?Language=en?Country=US http://privatenrg.com/#Nomograph; http://homepage.mac.com/inachan/prius/planet_e.html

The FFH gets about 10 mpg less than a Prius but is more powerful, quieter, smoother riding and not built in Japan if that's a factor.

Lee

Edited by lolder

Hi Zack!

Great choice of colors. Be sure to check some of the excellent threads detailing various techniques to get optimum mileage - you will do better.

Don't fret the short list of "tested" phones for Sync. Mine wasn't suggested but synched just fine and works flawlessly. Simply follow the directions and the chances are good you will be successful.

Enjoy!!

Thanks for pointers, will check all the suggested links. Everybody says that MPG improves by time ... so we'll see.

Probably pretty cold on Canada the past few months. Your mileage will improve with warmer weather - and as your car breaks in.

I have also noticed that very minor adjustments to my style of driving have made a difference in terms of mileage.

Diesel fuel has about 10% more energy per gallon than 87 octane 10% ethanol blend. The TDI also weighs less. I would think the TDI would be doing slightly better than it is. I like VW but I wasn't impressed with the TDI. I didn't feel anything like the Fusion. More of a "compact" feeling.

Jon

Hi everybody,

After 2 1/2 months of waiting FFH is in garage. Ice blue, gray leather interior. Took it same day to Tint King for windows tinting and protective film on the hood's leading edge.

For starters I can tell that I can't regret enough for not taking NAV. Multiline blue display in the center console is nice but NAV screen is hugely more informative and easier to work with. I think I will be looking to somehow buy NAV unit from some crushed FFH or find it some other way. No aftermarket NAVs.

Impressions, PRO:

* Love the styling even that at rear designers kind of lost inspiration with lights

* Like the equipment, dash, overall interior

* All my friends (men and women) liked the car, a lot ..

* Sony sound is great, worths every dollar I paid for it

* Like SYNC even that still don't know how to use more than 30% of it

* Like that FFH has top notch tires, not some cheapo ones just to get by

* "Feels" solid when driving, unlike many other cars. This car replaced Mazda 6, quite difference in that department

Impressions, CON:

* After first 1000 km we have unimpressive MPG, 6.7 l/100km (35 MPG), my son got new Jetta TDI just 2 weeks ago and he is immediately in 6-6.2 l/100 km range from day one

* EV switches into gasoline engine propulsion on slight touch on gas, I am yet to see it go to 45 MPH and then switch to gas.

* No NAV/backup camera = huge mistake > all mine

* Very disappointed that there was no choice of tan leather/ 2 tone interior for Canada. I don't get that one. Costs the same, waited 2.5 months until our friends in Mexico built it anyway, why couldn't I get tan color?

* Battery capacity is clearly undersized (underpowered). EV is ON for too short periods of times and (book says) can do only 1 mile in EV only. Either better battery has to be used or drop some weight and instead of 100 pounds of batteries use 200 or more. I believe that car is overweight and I am pretty sure that weight of parts could be reduced to make car lighter

* Very few phones on tested list are approved as complete accessory for SYNC (not single Blackberry or even iPhone makes it)

This is work in progress so there will be more

Zack

Diesel fuel has about 10% more energy per gallon than 87 octane 10% ethanol blend. The TDI also weighs less. I would think the TDI would be doing slightly better than it is. I like VW but I wasn't impressed with the TDI. I didn't feel anything like the Fusion. More of a "compact" feeling.

Jon

I test drove a Jetta TDI right before I went across the dealer to put in my order for my Fusion Hybrid. They are actually impossible to find on dealer lots, and some lady had won it on the Ellen Degeneres show and had traded it in because it was too small. That is exactly the feeling I got on my test drive. I have a 05 Ford Focus as well and it does not feel small as it is rather big for a compact car. The TDI made me feel like the vehicle was a LOT smaller than it actually is.

Also for the price of the TDI, it is hard to believe that the vehicle doesn't come with some of the basics that are standard on a comparably priced Fusion Hybrid. Features like power seats are not even available as an option on the TDI, and you don't even get leather as you get that imitation stuff.

During the test drive, it was also wierd as the engine felt like it had an on/off switch. While it has nearly no turbo lag, you still feel it as there is that split second where it is a slug and then it feels like someone turned the the switch on where it takes off. The torque is an amazing feeling though.

I hear that the TDI is getting incredibly highway fuel economy that far surpasses the EPA ratings, and independent testing actually found that the EPA highway rating is very low compared to what many of them are actually getting.

Look at this Wiki web site about Brake Specific Fuel Consumption: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_specific_fuel_consumption. The Prius is getting lower BSFC than a diesel and even better energy efficiency than a diesel. I think the Fusion is comparable considering the weight difference vs. the Prius. Read about the Atkinson Cycle. These hybrids are operating at very high throttle positions and low rpm,s almost all the time and are right in the sweet spot for maximum efficiency for a spark ignition engine. I think one of the secrets to best economy is light, STEADY accelerator pressure. That lets the computer easily choose the optimum throttle and rpm settings and always keep the engine as lean burning as possible. Of course "feathering" the accelerator peddle to get in EV mode is desirable if you've got the HV battery up to near half. As you accelerate to low speeds with the ICE, try to keep it charging. There's a spot where that will occur. Less pressure on the peddle or more will reduce the charging. This gets easy to do. Occasionally getting up to speed faster with the traffic when you have to won't have much of a negative impact on economy.

Lee

Look at this Wiki web site about Brake Specific Fuel Consumption: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_specific_fuel_consumption. The Prius is getting lower BSFC than a diesel and even better energy efficiency than a diesel. I think the Fusion is comparable considering the weight difference vs. the Prius. Read about the Atkinson Cycle. These hybrids are operating at very high throttle positions and low rpm,s almost all the time and are right in the sweet spot for maximum efficiency for a spark ignition engine. I think one of the secrets to best economy is light, STEADY accelerator pressure. That lets the computer easily choose the optimum throttle and rpm settings and always keep the engine as lean burning as possible. Of course "feathering" the accelerator peddle to get in EV mode is desirable if you've got the HV battery up to near half. As you accelerate to low speeds with the ICE, try to keep it charging. There's a spot where that will occur. Less pressure on the peddle or more will reduce the charging. This gets easy to do. Occasionally getting up to speed faster with the traffic when you have to won't have much of a negative impact on economy.

Lee

Just took first long trip in our hybrid. For the 958 miles we got 35.0 MPG with about 95% interstate travel at 70-75 MPH. Car has only about 2500 miles on it. Never saw another Fusion on the entire trip.

Here is what most people forget when comparing MPG (a pretty useless measurement compared to fuel consumption ratings - like they use in Europe)...

If a driver who travels 15,000 miles (24,000 km) a year switches from a vehicle with 10 mpg to 12 mpg average fuel economy (0.10 gallons per mile to 0.083 gallons per mile), 250 gallons are saved. A similar 20% improvement in exchanging a 30 mpg for a 36 mpg (0.033 gallons per mile for 0.027) vehicle saves only 83 gallons for similar driving patterns.

Jon

I test drove a Jetta TDI right before I went across the dealer to put in my order for my Fusion Hybrid. They are actually impossible to find on dealer lots, and some lady had won it on the Ellen Degeneres show and had traded it in because it was too small. That is exactly the feeling I got on my test drive. I have a 05 Ford Focus as well and it does not feel small as it is rather big for a compact car. The TDI made me feel like the vehicle was a LOT smaller than it actually is.

Also for the price of the TDI, it is hard to believe that the vehicle doesn't come with some of the basics that are standard on a comparably priced Fusion Hybrid. Features like power seats are not even available as an option on the TDI, and you don't even get leather as you get that imitation stuff.

During the test drive, it was also wierd as the engine felt like it had an on/off switch. While it has nearly no turbo lag, you still feel it as there is that split second where it is a slug and then it feels like someone turned the the switch on where it takes off. The torque is an amazing feeling though.

I hear that the TDI is getting incredibly highway fuel economy that far surpasses the EPA ratings, and independent testing actually found that the EPA highway rating is very low compared to what many of them are actually getting.

Just took first long trip in our hybrid. For the 958 miles we got 35.0 MPG with about 95% interstate travel at 70-75 MPH. Car has only about 2500 miles on it. Never saw another Fusion on the entire trip.

In September (warmer temperatures) I took a 2900 mile trip 85% highway at 70 mph and got 38.9 mpg. Higher speed and lower temperature decreases mpg. More air resistance and denser air and more lower speed off expressway driving account for the difference.

Lee

In September (warmer temperatures) I took a 2900 mile trip 85% highway at 70 mph and got 38.9 mpg. Higher speed and lower temperature decreases mpg.

Agreed. It also depends on whether you have passengers. Driving solo, I often get 40-42mpg on the highway by setting the cruise control at 65. But when my wife is with me - she won't let me drive 65. (At least I'm not blaming it on the added weight.)