Sign in to follow this  
pacsai

Winter/Snow Tires

Greetings all!

With snow/sleet/ice in the forecast does anyone have a recommendation for low rolling resistance snow tires (if such a thing exists)? I am all in favor of the FFH specific wheels and low rolling resistance tires. I, however, live in snow country and am looking for advice on winter driving needs for the FFH, i.e. leave the Michelins on, are M+Ss enough, or should I get some Hakkapeliittas?

Thanks for your help! :cold:

Kim

Low rolling resistance and good snow performance are exact opposites when it comes to tire design, so you'll never get both. Rolling resistance comes from hard compound and stiff structure, and snow performance comes from soft compound and mushy structure. But repairing a smashed bumper or worse will easily cost more than the fuel saved, so snow tires are always a good idea.

I'd just look for some used 16in Fusion wheels (from any model year), get 4 new TPMS sensors and pick a good snow tire in a 205/60-16 size.

Michilen sells the X-Ice Xi2 Green X, Which they classify as a low rolling resistance winter tire. I just ordered a 16" set yesterday for the FFH. I will let you know in the spring if they don't work as claimed. They seem to be highly rated on Tire Rack and by Consumer Reports, Motor trend etc...

Low rolling resistance and good snow performance are exact opposites when it comes to tire design, so you'll never get both. Rolling resistance comes from hard compound and stiff structure, and snow performance comes from soft compound and mushy structure. But repairing a smashed bumper or worse will easily cost more than the fuel saved, so snow tires are always a good idea.

I'd just look for some used 16in Fusion wheels (from any model year), get 4 new TPMS sensors and pick a good snow tire in a 205/60-16 size.

go to tirerack.com and check out their tire/wheel packages for your car. It will be in the $1K range for tire/wheel/sensor packages. When I checked the site recommended a 16 wheel and Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 (Performance Snow) 205/60-16 tire combination for winter at a cost of $1,089.00 which includes sensors, TPMS trigger, sensor mount and balance. Does anyone know of a site that has stats on tires for mpg. I just drive with increased air pressure until the weather goes bad, then drop the air pressure to increase traction.

Michilen sells the X-Ice Xi2 Green X, Which they classify as a low rolling resistance winter tire. I just ordered a 16" set yesterday for the FFH. I will let you know in the spring if they don't work as claimed. They seem to be highly rated on Tire Rack and by Consumer Reports, Motor trend etc...

Those were an optional tire that Tire Rack recommended. Please keep us informed!

Thanks for the input. I checked out the Tire Rack web site; I've never been dissappointed in Michelins and the X-Ice Xi2's look very good. I've never needed dedicated snows; would I be better off getting get new wheels too or just swap the tires?

Thanks,

Kim

Thanks for the input. I checked out the Tire Rack web site; I've never been dissappointed in Michelins and the X-Ice Xi2's look very good. I've never needed dedicated snows; would I be better off getting get new wheels too or just swap the tires?

Thanks,

Kim

I always get dedicated wheels for my snow tires but that is personal choice. I prefer a larger sidewall in the winter to deal with the road irregularities so I run a 16" tire size in the winter.

Also a 16" snow tire and steel rim combination is sometimes cheaper than just the 17" snow tire. I know the steel rims are heavier and less efficient than the alloy rims but I have destroyed some alloy rims in the winter before and feel the steel rim is better for my needs.

I also don't mind the TPMS light being on so I don't buy extra sensors. I just invest in a nice digital tire gauge and check the tires manually.

If you have a tire center near by that you trust to change over your tires twice a year, you can get buy with just buying tires and have them changed out at the tire center.

I just bought the Michelin - Pilot Alpin PA3 , works great on my FFH....

I think it cost more than the X-ICE.. but, Since I travel a lot, I'll invest on my safety...

I just bought the Michelin - Pilot Alpin PA3 , works great on my FFH....

I think it cost more than the X-ICE.. but, Since I travel a lot, I'll invest on my safety...

I am curious as to why you feel the Pilot Alpin PA3 is safer than the X-ICE Xi2. Please share any information you have concerning the relative safety of the different tire models so I can cancel my order if necessary.

I do know that the Alpin PA3 is a "performance" winter tire comparable to the Dunlop Wintersports that I run on my Mazda3. Those are great on the highway and in slush and light snow, but they can't compare to the Blizzak WS50's and other "ice and snow" tires in deep snow and ice because they are designed for highspeed winter driving with an occasional deep snow thrown in. I know I have trouble starting and stopping on hills in fresh or deep snow with my Wintersports.

If you do most of your winter driving on the highway then a "performance" winter tire might be the way to go but if most of your winter driving is done around town and on hilly terrain then I would stick to "snow and ice" tires.

Thanks,

Chris

I am curious as to why you feel the Pilot Alpin PA3 is safer than the X-ICE Xi2. Please share any information you have concerning the relative safety of the different tire models so I can cancel my order if necessary.

I do know that the Alpin PA3 is a "performance" winter tire comparable to the Dunlop Wintersports that I run on my Mazda3. Those are great on the highway and in slush and light snow, but they can't compare to the Blizzak WS50's and other "ice and snow" tires in deep snow and ice because they are designed for highspeed winter driving with an occasional deep snow thrown in. I know I have trouble starting and stopping on hills in fresh or deep snow with my Wintersports.

If you do most of your winter driving on the highway then a "performance" winter tire might be the way to go but if most of your winter driving is done around town and on hilly terrain then I would stick to "snow and ice" tires.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, I do most of my driving on the highway... usually interstate... thats why I did get the Alpin PA3... I've tried the X-ICE on my other car, works great, but (based of my experience)I found that Alpin PA3, has more grip and traction..

Hi Chris,

Yes, I do most of my driving on the highway... usually interstate... thats why I did get the Alpin PA3... I've tried the X-ICE on my other car, works great, but (based of my experience)I found that Alpin PA3, has more grip and traction..

Gotcha, I got the performance winter tires for my Mazda for the same reason. Good in the snow but great at highspeeds and in rain and dry conditions.