fordfever

2011 Fusion Redesign

I have heard rumors that the 2011 Ford Fusion will be redesigned with a new body. Has anyone heard the same?

I have heard rumors that the 2011 Ford Fusion will be redesigned with a new body. Has anyone heard the same?

I predict at least two changes:

1. 2011 will be available in colors other than the multiple shades of grey limit of the 2010.

2. Ford will figure out how to provide some sort of pass-through from the trunk - fold-down seats or a "ski" opening.

My guess is that they will also make available an all-electric operating mode for short runs, to compete with the Chevy Volt and the Prius.

Edited by fun4u

I predict at least two changes:

My guess is that they will also make available an all-electric operating mode for short runs, to compete with the Chevy Volt and the Prius.

I'd pay for a software upgrade if they could do this on a 2010.

This is not an extended range hybrid vehicle like the Volt. EV mode is not designed to provide anything more than it presently does. EV mode is inefficient compared to a directly geared ICE. The EV mode only improves the efficiency of the ICE at low speeds, provides acceleration assist and accomplishes regenerative braking. Nothing is likely to be changed with this drive system.

This is not an extended range hybrid vehicle like the Volt. EV mode is not designed to provide anything more than it presently does. EV mode is inefficient compared to a directly geared ICE. The EV mode only improves the efficiency of the ICE at low speeds, provides acceleration assist and accomplishes regenerative braking. Nothing is likely to be changed with this drive system.

Lee,

First off let me say that I think you are a terrific asset here. You have a vast technical knowledge of the hybrid system and have provided some great insights.

But I can't help but wonder why you are always set on the design being the most efficient in it's current form or that EV mode is completely inefficient when operated to drive the vehicle? If EV mode only performed the way you just mentioned....then 700 miles on a tank of gas would not even be close to possible.

Understanding that this is a Hybrid and not an Electric vehicle.........I personally can't see how .........if I travel 20 miles in EV mode it is less efficient than traveling 20 miles using the ICE/traction motor hybrid. Not using gas is not using gas.

For git's an shiggles today........I drove the car a good long way after reading your post and to be honest........if the car does not go into EV mode then my mileage (average, trip and Longterm) really tank. You can drive the car around town and keep the system from going to EV mode. All it takes is pedal pressure. I found a decrease of 3-6mpg by not allowing the EV mode to engage.

With that said.......... it would make sense to the "Systems under-educated consumers" like myself that....... if the car were able to use the EV mode more frequently around town......speeds of 25-40mph.....more frequently during a short duration trip..............there would be a marked improvement in mileage performance. After all......... the car itself.....wants to go to EV mode....without effort........... during certain times. Albeit when there is a charge level above 1/2 and the roads don't exceed 1-2 degrees of incline.....that is my experiences with the new vehicle.

I personally believe that the system has the capability to be improved and............... will eventually be improved. The 2010 design version of the FFH Hybrid system is not and can not be the "end all best" to the line as far as mileage performance goes. Granted the car will never see the numbers the Prius will. But those numbers can be relative to the vehicle and if Ford would provide a "Plug-in" version of the car with a better battery.....there is no reason why the car couldn't achieve 50+ MPG. After all the Plug-in Prius is said to be able to achieve 100MPG for the first 150 miles or so I've read.

For better or worse....everything eventually evolves

Edited by oldschool1962

This kind of hybrid vehicle is more efficient at short uses of EV because of its limited battery size. So, it can only really use what's generated by regenerative breaking. The only thing that could make it better for long uses of EV is a plug in connection and a larger battery pack. Other than that, there has to be some form of energy conversion which will include losses and therefore be less efficient.

sullied, you kinda lost me on your post but that's not too hard. I did want to mention....the plug-in and some form of better battery.....I made that point in the post.

And yes....the argument of added weight has been made against a larger battery but there are several areas that weight could be trimmed in this vehicle "IF" the addition of what I could only guess could be 20lbs max would affect. It's not like we're asking that 400lbs of battery be added to the thing.

I also wanted to mention that if the regenerative braking were allowed to provide more charge to the battery during city and short trip driving......instead of the system holding the battery to a Mid level state of charge........the mileage could benefit. But the argument has been made that will affect battery life. But like I mentioned one other time, we did the math and for our usage of the vehicle.....the cost of replacing the battery should we own the car 8 years from now is far cheaper than the amount of gas used during that time. We would definitely benefit if the system were allowed to do this. That's just us. But I can't believe that we are the only folks out there that use the car under these driving conditions........Average daily usage of 42 miles and average speed of 35mph.

Who (today) keeps a car for 8 years?? (Nobody I know of)

Who (today) keeps a car for 8 years?? (Nobody I know of)

Me. I traded in my 1999 Buick LeSabre in on my 2010 FFH in May 2009. I expect to keep the FFH at least 10 years.

Dan

Pretty sure you're talking hundreds of additional pounds, not 20. Go check out the Focus electric vehicle - that should give you an idea of the battery requirements.

Good point but that's for a complete battery pack on a strictly EV. I'm not asking that the FFH be turned into a complete EV........That was not what I mentioned.

I think the hybrid system is the way to go for now. So....... If you look at your battery pack that's currently installed in the car.....unless it is strictly made up of dark matter......the thing can't weigh more than 40-45lbs. Not sure about those numbers but I'm not going to take it out and weigh it. Anyhow........ Even increasing the capacity by half and allowing for an increase in charge storage during city driving or allowing for a charge to be maintained while idle would be a great help.

Okay.....I see the extra weight..........didn't realize the pack was so deep into the rear seat. Yet...........If the current battery pack...with all the extra casing, blower and ducting is 120lbs why would it take 200lbs of extra batteries to make it more efficient? That's more than ndoubling the current and adequate battery pack. I stand my ground on my belief that if there was a pack with 50% more capacity as FFH owners, we would benefitduring intown driving. So I'll revise my statement and say that adding an additional 60lbs should do the trick and not make the car too heavy. Ford can take half that weight from the hood alone.

By the way.....I'm a Baby Boomer and I have no desie to use deep text abbreviations so....... what the heck is "TANSTAAFL"

The current hybrid pack, fully charged would only support full EV mode for 1-2 miles. Doubling that only gives you 2-4 miles. And Lithium Ion is more expensive.

I think the point is that Ford has optimized the Fusion hybrid and if it was that easy just to add a little battery capacity to increase fuel mileage they would have done it already. Don't forget that batteries are still in short supply overall.

TANSTAAFL is not texting - it's an acronym. There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Fair enough.

Acronym.......Ahhhhh......that's the word I couldn't remember.

Edited by oldschool1962

The efficiency of driving wheels through gears from an ICE as a FFH does at higher speeds is very high with only a few percent loss. The EV mode involves loss in the generator, loss in the HVB charging, loss in the HVB discharging , loss in the electric motor AND the loss in the gears. It is inherently less efficient than the direct ICE drive. With a gasoline car, the best efficiency is to have a small engine that is running at full throttle at the maximum cruise speed. That would be a 30-40 hp. engine. It would have poor acceleration and hill climbing ability and lack emergency reserve power. So the FFH has a 156 hp. engine that they vary with valves and timing to be smaller when they can. It operates at low rpm and almost full throttle when it can. The eCVT controls the rpm. To go at speeds of about 30 mph you only need about 10 hp. Even this FFH ICE becomes inefficient at that power level. They alleviate the problem somewhat by cycling the ICE on and off. When It runs, it's driving the car and charging the HVB. Using the ICE and EV in this way IS more efficient than trying to run the ICE continuously at low power. The 160,000 mile DOT tests of Honda's and Prius's showed that even with a loss of 60 % of HVB capacity in a Prius, the mpg was not affected. (one minute acceleration probably was but wasn't tested). HVB size in a gas hybrid need only be large enough to provide transient acceleration and absorb regen braking. This also provides a short electric range for ICE on/off cycling at low speeds. A larger HVB does not help a gas hybrid. Once you have a plug in hybrid like a Volt, everything changes. They're like apples and oranges. The FFH, Prius and other similar hybrids will not be improved much. They are a very careful compromise of cost, weight, size, performance and durability and all of these factors affect one another. Realize that the HVB in the FFH is hundreds of flashlight sized D cells welded together in series for the 275 volts. The current flow in these batteries is several hundred amperes!! And they expect them to last the life of the car! How long do the NiMh cells in your flashlight last drawing 0.1 amps? Several years at best. The main avenue for efficiency improvement is incremental improvements: lighter, higher power density HVBs (Expensive); lighter vehicle weight (Expensive); more efficient ICE ( lower BSFC, Brake Specific Fuel Consumption. The Prius is already the most efficient ever.).

As far as plug in electrics or hybrids is concerned, wait until they start putting road taxes ($0.65 /gal. in Florida) on vehicle charging electricity! Road maintenance money has to come from somewhere. The plug-ins still have the HVB charge/discharge/motor losses. The only thing they lose is the generator losses.

The efficiency of driving wheels through gears from an ICE as a FFH does at higher speeds is very high with only a few percent loss. The EV mode involves loss in the generator, loss in the HVB charging, loss in the HVB discharging , loss in the electric motor AND the loss in the gears. It is inherently less efficient than the direct ICE drive. With a gasoline car, the best efficiency is to have a small engine that is running at full throttle at the maximum cruise speed. That would be a 30-40 hp. engine. It would have poor acceleration and hill climbing ability and lack emergency reserve power. So the FFH has a 156 hp. engine that they vary with valves and timing to be smaller when they can. It operates at low rpm and almost full throttle when it can. The eCVT controls the rpm. To go at speeds of about 30 mph you only need about 10 hp. Even this FFH ICE becomes inefficient at that power level. They alleviate the problem somewhat by cycling the ICE on and off. When It runs, it's driving the car and charging the HVB. Using the ICE and EV in this way IS more efficient than trying to run the ICE continuously at low power. The 160,000 mile DOT tests of Honda's and Prius's showed that even with a loss of 60 % of HVB capacity in a Prius, the mpg was not affected. (one minute acceleration probably was but wasn't tested). HVB size in a gas hybrid need only be large enough to provide transient acceleration and absorb regen braking. This also provides a short electric range for ICE on/off cycling at low speeds. A larger HVB does not help a gas hybrid. Once you have a plug in hybrid like a Volt, everything changes. They're like apples and oranges. The FFH, Prius and other similar hybrids will not be improved much. They are a very careful compromise of cost, weight, size, performance and durability and all of these factors affect one another. Realize that the HVB in the FFH is hundreds of flashlight sized D cells welded together in series for the 275 volts. The current flow in these batteries is several hundred amperes!! And they expect them to last the life of the car! How long do the NiMh cells in your flashlight last drawing 0.1 amps? Several years at best. The main avenue for efficiency improvement is incremental improvements: lighter, higher power density HVBs (Expensive); lighter vehicle weight (Expensive); more efficient ICE ( lower BSFC, Brake Specific Fuel Consumption. The Prius is already the most efficient ever.).

As far as plug in electrics or hybrids is concerned, wait until they start putting road taxes ($0.65 /gal. in Florida) on vehicle charging electricity! Road maintenance money has to come from somewhere. The plug-ins still have the HVB charge/discharge/motor losses. The only thing they lose is the generator losses.

Excellent post.

Thanks,

Dan

good stuff, thanks ! couple comments though, the Volt isn't a hybrid, its an extended range EV, also are they going to increase the gas tax in Florida to pay for hybrids & EV's using the roads ? That doesn't seem fair, the more gasoline you use the more tax U pay ? (it ought to be mileage based, put some kind of tracking device in vehicles - course then there is the privacy issue ...)