Tazzboo

First OIL change

Hello everybody. Well call me OCD I couldn't wait to work on my FFH. I just didn't feel right letting the first oil change go to 10,000 miles.

So I took the plundge. Got out the owners manual and looked up what the oil filter number was. Along with how many quarts of oil that was needed.

Off to Wal-mart I went. Bought the Motorcraft FL-2017B filter that was listed on Page 297 of the owners manual. Also picked up 5 quarts of

Mobil 1 5w-20.

Got home and started to pull the panels off under the car. Ford has both panels clearly labeled. You need a 7mm and a 10mm to pull them off. Along with a 13mm for the Oil Drain plug.

Well to my surprise there was a Metal Can Oil filter on the engine. Not the paper filter with two o-rings that is listed in the manual. So I looked at the side of the filter and it said FL-910.

So to all of you out there. YOUR OWNERS MANUAL MAY be wrong. At least on mine it is.

Just wanted to let everybody know to check before they go out and buy the wrong filter based on the manual.

Advance Auto also listed the correct filter of FL-910

Hello everybody. Well call me OCD I couldn't wait to work on my FFH. I just didn't feel right letting the first oil change go to 10,000 miles.

So I took the plundge. Got out the owners manual and looked up what the oil filter number was. Along with how many quarts of oil that was needed.

Off to Wal-mart I went. Bought the Motorcraft FL-2017B filter that was listed on Page 297 of the owners manual. Also picked up 5 quarts of

Mobil 1 5w-20.

Got home and started to pull the panels off under the car. Ford has both panels clearly labeled. You need a 7mm and a 10mm to pull them off. Along with a 13mm for the Oil Drain plug.

Well to my surprise there was a Metal Can Oil filter on the engine. Not the paper filter with two o-rings that is listed in the manual. So I looked at the side of the filter and it said FL-910.

So to all of you out there. YOUR OWNERS MANUAL MAY be wrong. At least on mine it is.

Just wanted to let everybody know to check before they go out and buy the wrong filter based on the manual.

Advance Auto also listed the correct filter of FL-910

the online manual also says the same as yours

Thank you for the info. I'm not going to let it go to 10,000 miles either and I will be doing my own oil change with Mobil 1 also.

Thanks really but I have a couple questions - 5w 20 oil, shouldn't it be 5w 30 or do you want the thin stuff for winter, also since the 1st change is free (minus tax, recycling, tire rotation & whatever else the dealership can come up with) why not go that route ?

Thanks really but I have a couple questions - 5w 20 oil, shouldn't it be 5w 30 or do you want the thin stuff for winter, also since the 1st change is free (minus tax, recycling, tire rotation & whatever else the dealership can come up with) why not go that route ?

Again call me OCD. :sos: I like/enjoy working on my own cars/trucks. So for me to get dirty its not a problem. I can always use the first oil change if I want at 10,000 miles. Ford Specs 5w-20 oil in the Ford Fusion Hybrid. Also stated on the Oil filler cap. Ford went with 5w-20 a while back to help them meet CTAF regs or something like that. Even Honda is doing it now. The new Prius is also speced for 5w-20.

Just did the first change on my 2.5L tonight @ 7500 miles. Will probably change over to Mobil 1 at 10M... Also a FL-910 Filter... Strange that the Hybrid manual calls for something else... I like the fact that the filter is upright and drains pretty easily!

It IS 5w 20 (not that I doubted you :finger:) - I was in a auto parts store the other day (getting some car wash soap) and thought to myself the smart thing to do would be to get a quart of oil & put it in the trunk just in case but didn't, good thing cause I would have got the wrong weight ! (not that 1 quart would make that much difference)

Again call me OCD. :sos: I like/enjoy working on my own cars/trucks. So for me to get dirty its not a problem. I can always use the first oil change if I want at 10,000 miles. Ford Specs 5w-20 oil in the Ford Fusion Hybrid. Also stated on the Oil filler cap. Ford went with 5w-20 a while back to help them meet CTAF regs or something like that. Even Honda is doing it now. The new Prius is also speced for 5w-20.

It is called CAFE, for Corporate Average Fuel Economy.

5W-20 is the way to go. Mobil 1 is a group 4, fully synthetic oil whereas I'm guessing that the Motorcraft semi-synthetic that the factory uses is probably a group 3. I'm wondering if it'll make any noticeable difference with fuel economy or not.

It is called CAFE, for Corporate Average Fuel Economy.

I was close, I new it was something like that. LOL Thank You for gettin me straight. :happy feet:

since the 1st change is free (minus tax, recycling, tire rotation & whatever else the dealership can come up with) why not go that route ?

What's the deal with the free oil change? Is that dealer-specific or Ford-wide?

Dealer.

Dealer. I skipped it because my dealer wanted to sell me some B.S. fuel and oil additives. I paid for my oil change at another dealer.

Same, had mine done early (ok, not by me). Then around 8900 miles it started suggesting that an oil change was coming due. At 10K miles the suggestion turned into a warning, and that's what I have now. What did we forget to reset?

Thanks,

Tim

Do you think that its necessary to use synthetic oil in the Fusion Hybrid???

Yes...check the manual. It is recommended.

Actually (not to stir anything up), the manual recommends:

"Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (US)

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Super Premium Motor Oil (Canada)2"

Per page 298 of the manual.

I know it is hard after being brought up when cars needed 10W40 weight oil and it just didn't feel right using 5W30 but after using it in my motorhome with the 8.1 Chevy engine and a 24K motorhome weight and it doesn't use a drop in 3K when I change it or fall whichever comes first I'm convinced that the new oils are far better than oil of old and will now have no problem trusting the 5W20 that Ford now wants us to use.. I bet the 5W20 is far superior to the 10W40 of old.

What is necessary is that you oil and filter products that meet the Ford specifications. We are limited to 5w20 or 0w20 that meets the WSS-M2C930-A specification. Those will all be synthetic blend or full synthetic.

I always use Motorcraft because I know that every batch produced will meet the specification every time. Other suppliers may meet the specification one time out of 10 (but that is the result they will use to show their formulation met the spec.) Others don't even say they meet the specification and declare it doesn't make any difference. And usually, there won't be any issues unless you have a lubrication related failure - which is almost always owner responsibility.

Search some of the threads on motor oil. You will get some opinions that differ from those of the Ford Engine Engineering Group. Some people actually believe their corner lube guy is smarter than the Ford engineers. I don't.

My biggest problem is that Motorcraft lubricants are contracted out to Citgo the last I heard. In the past, they have contracted it out to various companies. Especially when you can buy a very high quality semi-synthetic or Full synthetic from companies like Mobil and others, I generally go that route. Most of us know which famous nutcase owns Citgo(along with 2 new Hilton hotels as of yesterday).

As for me, i'll do my first oil change at 7500 miles using Motorcraft oil, and then use Mobil 1 full synthetic every 10k miles after that with a Mobil 1 or Amsoil filter.