Sign in to follow this  
DaveM

Tire Monitoring on Hybrid w/Nav

Just wondered how the tire monitors work on the Hybrid with Nav. Does it give a readout in pounds for each tire or just a idiot light setup?

Just an idiot light. Too bad because I'm pretty sure the sensors Ford is using on the car actually transmit pressure.

Jon

Just wondered how the tire monitors work on the Hybrid with Nav. Does it give a readout in pounds for each tire or just a idiot light setup?

Just an idiot light. Too bad because I'm pretty sure the sensors Ford is using on the car actually transmit pressure.

Jon

I got a little cheap ass HHR for putting around town and even it reads out the tire pressure.

I've wondered about the lack of PSI being displayed, could it be Fo.Mo.Co. didn't want to risk confusing its users with numbers (a light is good enough) ?

I've wondered about the lack of PSI being displayed, could it be Fo.Mo.Co. didn't want to risk confusing its users with numbers (a light is good enough) ?

Generally speaking, TPMS systems consist of a battery, switch, pressure sensor and radio transmitter. The switch turns the unit off unless it is spinning at a certain MPH. When you achieve the programmed speed, maybe 12 - 16 MPH, the TPMS unit turns on and transmits pressure to the car's computer. A fail safe type number is programmed, say 28 PSI. If the normal inflation pressure is to be 34 psi, the indicator light stays off. When it drops below the programmed threshold, it illuminates. The actual pressure is being measured and delivered to the vehicle, but is not made available to the driver in real time. Audi and VW use this same system.

Oh, if Audi and VW use this system than I guess that makes it alright. :banghead:

I really miss that feature. My GM full-sized truck had real-time read out for each tire. By real-time, I mean it sampled about once a minute and displayed the PSI.

I really miss that feature. My GM full-sized truck had real-time read out for each tire. By real-time, I mean it sampled about once a minute and displayed the PSI.

I hear ya.

So every time you rotate the tires you have to re-train the sensors?

Yup.... the manual explains it and I had no problem doing it. But, if one uses a professional tire shop, such as Discount Tire, with their free rotation, they'll re-train the computer as to the sensor location.

Basically, the re-train is not any more complicated than training a new / replacement FOB.

But, honestly, it is kinda interesting. If one is going down the highway, you can see the tire pressure increase on the tires as they warm up when going down the road. Secondly, if the sun is hitting just one side of the truck, the two tires on the sun side will be as much as 2 or 3 PSI more than the shade side of the truck. When hauling a lot of weight in the truck bed, the rear tires' PSI will be higher than usual.

Maybe it is a good thing we don't have this for the hybrids. Between watching the hypermiling numbers, and if we had PSI numbers, when would we look out the windshield? ;>)

To Dave M:

I suspect a little sarcasm in your post. I was simply explaining how the AUDI/VW system works. In fact, the part is manufactured by Siemens, and like the wheel, there is really no need to re-invent the part all over.

To others:

As for rotation of tires, your TPMS light should not go on. However, if you put on a spare that has no TPMS, your light will go on until you put back on a repaired/replaced tire. The light will not go off until you drive the vehicle, achieve the threshold speed to turn on the TPMS (about 16 mph) and in a minute, the light should go off.

If you get new tires, the light should go on until you drive and reach the threshold speed.

If you replace a TPMS sensor, the light should go on until you reach the threshold speed.

Also, please note that usually the valve stem contents (the part inside the valve stem that can be unscrewed to let the air out quickly) on TPMS equipped tires are specific for the particular TPMS part used by the manufacturer. If you get TPMS lights and do not find any reason for the leak, make certain the valve stem hardware is screwed tight and not leaking. You can replace just that hardware without having to go to all of the expense of replacing the entire unit which means un-mounting the tire, re-mounting and re-balancing. This is also another reason to keep you caps on the valve stems.

Yup.... the manual explains it and I had no problem doing it. But, if one uses a professional tire shop, such as Discount Tire, with their free rotation, they'll re-train the computer as to the sensor location.

Basically, the re-train is not any more complicated than training a new / replacement FOB.

But, honestly, it is kinda interesting. If one is going down the highway, you can see the tire pressure increase on the tires as they warm up when going down the road. Secondly, if the sun is hitting just one side of the truck, the two tires on the sun side will be as much as 2 or 3 PSI more than the shade side of the truck. When hauling a lot of weight in the truck bed, the rear tires' PSI will be higher than usual.

Maybe it is a good thing we don't have this for the hybrids. Between watching the hypermiling numbers, and if we had PSI numbers, when would we look out the windshield? ;>)

Where in the manual did you see this. Also someone posted that according to the manual we are to get something for setting them. Again I can find no reference to this.