Sign in to follow this  
RBL

2010 Ford Fusion HID upgrade HELP!!!

Newbie here. I bought a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL and I was completely disappointed with the low beam intensity for stock H11 bulbs on this model. I couldn't see anything. So, I bought a HID aftermarket upgrade for this car and installed it. Here is my problem, when the car is turned off it works fine when placing the light switch on, the bulbs come on and fire up and look great. Here is the issue, once the car is started the bulbs stay on for a second or two and then begin to flicker, alternate flashing each side and then they go out. What is causing this to happen??? The company I purchased the kit from is saying the daytime running lights may be interfering. How can I fix this? Any thoughts?

Where are you? Only Canada has DRL I think. My first guess would be they are overheating, but I'm no expert.

Sounds more like a relay issue to me. The lights on cars these days are conttolled by relays. Sometimes seperate of each other.

well grats on the HID upgrade, please post up pixx. oh, and don't worry, your not illegal as long as your headlights can pass a DOT inspection.

The HID's in the low-beam position do not fire up properly with the lowered DRL power output. That is why cars which are designed and factory manufactured with HID's in the low beam position do not use the low beam as the DRL lights. For example, my Lincoln MKZ (sister to the Fusion/Milan), which has Factory HID's, uses the fog lights as the DRL lights, not the low beams.

If the MKZ can use the Fogs as DRL's how hard would it be to wire up the Fusion the same way?

I just boulght a 35w HID kit (for my low beam). If I install it my car will tell me my headlight is out? If so is there any way to fix this and still use the kit?

I just boulght a 35w HID kit (for my low beam). If I install it my car will tell me my headlight is out? If so is there any way to fix this and still use the kit?

For those owners not happy with the OEM headlights, check the aiming. I found mine were set lower than the correct setting, raised them and now have good visibility.

I guess I should have also asked if I really have to get my day time running lights turned off for them to work properly? (I know someone posted that you do but it does not say they if they actually did it or not).

BTW its a 2010 Fusion SEL if that makes a difference.

I had the same problem when trying to install my HID into the main headlight!

SO I just said F- it and put them to my fog lights.....

If I want to switch them back to the main headlights HOW can I turn off the DRL's ---- I tried to just remove the fuse but the light didn't work when I turned the light on manually.

Slightly off topic (sorry) but anyone know if the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's really work as advertised? I have read that some people see no difference after replacing standard OE bulbs with the SilverStars. ULTRA is their best.

51JBMK5z4mL._SS500_.jpg

Well I installed my kit (35w ballast) and they work fine when the care is off and the low beams are on but when I start it and turn on the low beam or put on my day time running lights (which on the 2010 model are on the low beams) they shut off till I shut the car off and restart it. My bulb out light is not coming on so I am not to sure what to do.

I see lots of people on this forum with them and no one seems to be talking.

Mr.X,

Try this thread in the fordfusionclub.com forum: http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=154858.30. On the second page there is a member (Y2KFirehawk)who had similar, if not the same, issues with his HID upgrade. I am not sure if this will help or not but, he seems to have had success. If nothing else, he may be able to provide you with some answers or insight into your dilemma...

Mr.X,

Try this thread in the fordfusionclub.com forum: http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=154858.30. On the second page there is a member (Y2KFirehawk)who had similar, if not the same, issues with his HID upgrade. I am not sure if this will help or not but, he seems to have had success. If nothing else, he may be able to provide you with some answers or insight into your dilemma...

Thats the exact problem I am having!

Thanks for the link.

Thats the exact problem I am having!

Thanks for the link.

Has anyone found a HID kit which works well with the 2010 FFH, and W/O any modifications, like special harness, BOW bypass, or relays? How about comparison of the light output between an HID and a PIAA Superwhite halogen bulb? I am not satisfied with the stock low beams, and want to upgrade. I wanted to consider both HID as well as the PIAA or even the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras as options. The problem with HID kits is knowing which is a good brand, and which model will work well with the FFH. Thanks for your help.

I shopped around and finally got my new HID upgrade. It was a big difference in light output and color(6000K) as compared to the stock OEM halogen low beams. I learned some interesting things along the way, so thought I would share this info. (Maybe this was brought up on another post, so please excuse me if I'm stating the obvious) :finger:

The 2010 Fusion electrical system uses the European wiring system, which means the voltage varies widely as the car operates (maybe more so for the FFH than the ICE engine versions). This is why many HID upgrade kits will flicker and actually turn off after awhile due to insufficient voltage. Some digital ballast have an integrated circuit which acts as a giant capacitor to stablize the voltage to 12V(or some minimum threshold), which ensures the system is able to maintain its working voltage. Degradation of the voltage beyond a certain level will cause the flickers, and eventually system shutdown to protect itself. This happend initially in my installation, so they had to install an adapter harness inline to provide that capacitor circuit which fixed everything.

This was quite a tedious install, as others have experienced. They did the passenger side first through the front wheel well cover. The drivers' side was easier and could be done from the top. They had to snap open the wheel well covers anyway for both sides to reach the fog lights, so lots of crawling around and removing some hoses to get to everything.

As others have said, once you have HID, you will never go back to OEM halogen lights. I was somewhat spoiled by the factory HID system on my Mercedes R350(which also had the auto turning headlights when you steer), so upgrading my stock FFH halogens to these HIDs really put the finishing touches on this fantatic car. :happy feet:

I also upgraded the fog lights to Nokya Artic White stage 2 Halogens to match the color of the HIDs. These are 70W vs the factory 55W, so I'm hoping the wiring harness will be able to handle them. Anyone knows if the extra current (5.83A vs 4.58A) is within the guardband of the factory harness spec? Unfortunately, the upgraded fogs didn't seem to make much of a difference. This is probably due to the fog being aimed very low to the ground. I live in an area where there is little fog, so I was hoping to use the fog as a cornering and/or driving lamp. I may ask the dealer to help adjust the angle about an inch higher as others have suggested to achieve that effect without blinding oncoming traffic.

The nice thing about the projector low beam and fog light is very nice focus of the beams, and a sharp cutoff on the left side to minimize distraction to oncoming drivers. I've been using these lights for almost a week and have not had anyone flash their lights at me. I've noticed a very bright white light that extends coverage to the right side of the vehicle, which lights up road signs, house numbers, and pedestrians walking their dogs which would be more difficult to see if using the OEM halogen lights. I've also tested these HIDs on the freeways and streets w/o any street lights. They are a major improvement over the stock halogen lights, and really help in lighting up the entire highway.

I was going to upgrade the high beams to match the color of the HIDs, but the installer didn't think he could get access to them due to the tight space. My next step is to try to find those pearlescent bulb for the turn signal which looks really cool in its housing, but has the amber color when turned on. I think Silverstar makes them but they are quite expensive.

BTW, I also had the windows tinted at the same place, and they gave me a discount for the whole job. Total was $280 for the tint, HID, and fog lights. The entire job took around 3 hrs, since there were others ahead of me for the tinting. Not too bad for a professional job! :shift: