Sign in to follow this  
goody1926

Gonna be a new owner tomorrow

It was a long hard fought battle but I was finally able to find one and find a dealer willing to go AXZ plan. In central Indiana here these cars are rare. I visited a local dealer who was never able to even keep one on the lot but he was not willing to go the extra mile and help me find one so I did it myself calling about 30 dealers in a row.

It is not exactly what I wanted but I could ill afford to miss out on the $4500 CARS by ordering or by waiting for dealers to get in their stock orders.

If everything goes through should pick up a 501A White Platinum Tri-coat tomorrow! It will be replacing a 17 year old car with 180k miles. Although I do hate the thought of my current car being dismantled and crushed!

I feel your pain on the loss of your 'loved one'. I traded my 96 Ranger last weekend for my FFH. I bought her new and returned her with 264K miles. I don't know which was harder to accept---that I was losing a major piece of my life or that now I have to make car payments again. With the $4500 from CARS, the $1700 hybrid tax credit, AND the sales tax/fees tax deduction, it was just too much to pass up.

Enjoy your FFH.

Congratulations Goody!

I got my car on the 18th, showed it off to family and friends and proceded to take it on a 260 mile trip that day. I'll probably put 1,000 miles on it in a week. I'm averaging 37 MPG in mostly highway driving @ 75 MPH! I turned in a '96 Villager w/140,000 miles that still had a couple of good years in it; but CARS, Tax Credit, Sales Tax deduction and the X plan all conspired to entice me into the purchase. I did feel kinda funny turning in an acceptable ride, but I got $2,500 more than it was worth, so good deal for me!

I LOVE the FFH and I must look like quite the idiot as I drive down the road with this silly grin on my ugly mug! :happy feet:

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your new car!

Kim

I feel your pain on the loss of your 'loved one'. I traded my 96 Ranger last weekend for my FFH. I bought her new and returned her with 264K miles. I don't know which was harder to accept---that I was losing a major piece of my life or that now I have to make car payments again. With the $4500 from CARS, the $1700 hybrid tax credit, AND the sales tax/fees tax deduction, it was just too much to pass up.

Enjoy your FFH.

Yes it will be somewhat bittersweet. Its great to be able to take advantage of some pretty nice deductions or credits but I am not sure about the sales tax and fees portion. Was that something unique for your area? I was not aware of that so I hope its something the dealer surprises me with today.

Congratulations Goody!

I got my car on the 18th, showed it off to family and friends and proceded to take it on a 260 mile trip that day. I'll probably put 1,000 miles on it in a week. I'm averaging 37 MPG in mostly highway driving @ 75 MPH! I turned in a '96 Villager w/140,000 miles that still had a couple of good years in it; but CARS, Tax Credit, Sales Tax deduction and the X plan all conspired to entice me into the purchase. I did feel kinda funny turning in an acceptable ride, but I got $2,500 more than it was worth, so good deal for me!

I LOVE the FFH and I must look like quite the idiot as I drive down the road with this silly grin on my ugly mug! :happy feet:

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your new car!

Kim

Thank you! Sure sounds like all of the credits and deductions really helped you out too! It seems many are able to take advantage of a sales tax reduction so I hope I get the same good news when I arrive at the dealer.

I hope you have many more happy miles!!

Yes it will be somewhat bittersweet. Its great to be able to take advantage of some pretty nice deductions or credits but I am not sure about the sales tax and fees portion. Was that something unique for your area? I was not aware of that so I hope its something the dealer surprises me with today.

From the IRS website:

"The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides a deduction for state and local sales and excise taxes paid on the purchase of new cars, light trucks, motor homes and motorcycles through 2009. It also provides for the deduction of other taxes or fees paid in states with no sales tax."

You can search their site for "Car Sales and Tax Deductions" and it will give you more. It isn't a credit, but it does reduce your taxable income. Where I live, we have 8.75% sales tax (ugh), so I'll take what I can. Vehicles must be placed into service before Jan 1, 2010.

From the IRS website:

"The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides a deduction for state and local sales and excise taxes paid on the purchase of new cars, light trucks, motor homes and motorcycles through 2009. It also provides for the deduction of other taxes or fees paid in states with no sales tax."

You can search their site for "Car Sales and Tax Deductions" and it will give you more. It isn't a credit, but it does reduce your taxable income. Where I live, we have 8.75% sales tax (ugh), so I'll take what I can. Vehicles must be placed into service before Jan 1, 2010.

Perfect!!! There was my problem--searching using state criteria while I should have searched using Uncle Sam terms. Thanks so much. Now I understand what others had been saying.

It was a long hard fought battle but I was finally able to find one and find a dealer willing to go AXZ plan. In central Indiana here these cars are rare. I visited a local dealer who was never able to even keep one on the lot but he was not willing to go the extra mile and help me find one so I did it myself calling about 30 dealers in a row.

It is not exactly what I wanted but I could ill afford to miss out on the $4500 CARS by ordering or by waiting for dealers to get in their stock orders.

If everything goes through should pick up a 501A White Platinum Tri-coat tomorrow! It will be replacing a 17 year old car with 180k miles. Although I do hate the thought of my current car being dismantled and crushed!

Success!. I put about 120 miles on it getting home. I have a lot to learn. I love cruising through towns using NO gas!! I did however think that I would get more acceleration in battery mode. It does require lighter than expected pedal pressure to accelerate in battery mode and keep the engine from cranking up.

Success!. I put about 120 miles on it getting home. I have a lot to learn. I love cruising through towns using NO gas!! I did however think that I would get more acceleration in battery mode. It does require lighter than expected pedal pressure to accelerate in battery mode and keep the engine from cranking up.

Congrats! I've spent hours and hours researching this (and other) hybrids for the best way to maximize fuel efficiency. Google "pulse and glide" and you'll get some helpful tips. It turns out that it's more efficient to accelerate normally to the desired speed and then ease off the pedal. This will allow the car to switch to EV mode and then you just have to maintain your speed. Unless you're going downhill, it's almost impossible to accelerate from a dead stop and remain in EV mode. Let me know if your research indicates anything different.

Congrats on your new ride!! I'm still learning about all of the gadgetry. It does make it a little more interesting to drive, but there are lots of distractions. You made it just under the bell with the Cash for Clunkers shutting down Monday.

Congrats! I've spent hours and hours researching this (and other) hybrids for the best way to maximize fuel efficiency. Google "pulse and glide" and you'll get some helpful tips. It turns out that it's more efficient to accelerate normally to the desired speed and then ease off the pedal. This will allow the car to switch to EV mode and then you just have to maintain your speed. Unless you're going downhill, it's almost impossible to accelerate from a dead stop and remain in EV mode. Let me know if your research indicates anything different.

Wow that's pretty amazing! I did that exact tip you suggested above on my way home by accelerating normally then backing off. I had no idea what I was doing but man it worked!! I had always heard that sometimes its not always best to slowly accelerate through all gears in gas only vehicles. It made sense to figure out how to accelerate properly to get to the high gear most efficiently. In the FFH's case, that little tip really makes the difference.

I totally agree that all EV acceleration is painful for me and the 27 cars behind me!! Once you get her going then its really not that hard to maintain EV in the city between lights etc...

One thing I have to learn about is how to best get the battery charged fully. I assume that master FFH drivers keep their batteries at the top of the scale most of the time. I could not get it there in my 120 mile drive home which consisted of city, town, and Interstate driving. I did start deceling(??new word??) much sooner and applying the brakes for much longer periods of time. But I will need to do some heavy research like you have and understand what the masses do.

Congrats on your new ride!! I'm still learning about all of the gadgetry. It does make it a little more interesting to drive, but there are lots of distractions. You made it just under the bell with the Cash for Clunkers shutting down Monday.

:woohoo: I had no idea!

I am glad I did it but boy it was tough driving away from my long term buddy. But it did not take long to get totally immersed in watching that fantastic display!!

Congrats on the new car!! Glad to see another Hoosier Fusion driver. I'm up in Lafayette, I am guess central IN would be Indianapolis?

One thing I have to learn about is how to best get the battery charged fully. I assume that master FFH drivers keep their batteries at the top of the scale most of the time. I could not get it there in my 120 mile drive home which consisted of city, town, and Interstate driving. I did start deceling(??new word??) much sooner and applying the brakes for much longer periods of time. But I will need to do some heavy research like you have and understand what the masses do.

I have the same question. I rarely see my battery gauge above 1/2. Even the manual says this is normal. Additionally, it's 109 degrees where I live so I'm assuming that the heavy draw for the a/c is keeping it low.

I have the same question. I rarely see my battery gauge above 1/2. Even the manual says this is normal. Additionally, it's 109 degrees where I live so I'm assuming that the heavy draw for the a/c is keeping it low.

Heat seems to effect battery charge and mpg, drove from miami to naples fla saturday morning , temp was 82 speed was

set on cruise control 75mph , achieved 41.5 mpg for trip ... drove home that afternoon same speed and road only difference was

temp 97 degrees only achieved 34.5mpg... note when arriving in naples batt showed over half on trip back to miami batt showed over one quarter

Congrats on the new car!! Glad to see another Hoosier Fusion driver. I'm up in Lafayette, I am guess central IN would be Indianapolis?

Howdy! Westfield to be exact.

That's getting pretty warm. I am going to start reading the manual this weekend. I want to be able to spend some quality time with it and working everything realtime. The battery usually spends its time floating between a line a little above the terminals to a little below the battery symbol. I will pour over the manual and see if it gives good details regarding that cluster overall. Right now at about 400 miles it seems to be getting about 40-45 mpg in my commute. I am using the FE graphical history and not the digital FE readout. I have not reset it yet to reflect my driving. It has history from when the dealer obtained the car from another dealer many miles away so its showing only 34 right now. Probably spent time on demo drives and maybe idling at times while salesperson showed it off.

Check out this thread on battery charge.

Yep that was what I was looking for. I started reading the manual tonight and first up was trying to figure out if I should have a PIN somewhere in the car for the keyless. I was going to hit the EV stuff next. It seems that I am exactly where I should be with the battery charge. Thanks for that link.

Hi goody1926. :D Yes, as WPWoodJr stated, if your car has the keyless entry keypad the Salesman/Dealer should have given you the PIN and PIN card when the car was delivered to you.

Ford delivers the car to the Dealership with a small credit card sized PIN code card. Look through all of the paperwork, the Owners Manual case, glove compartment etc, for that card. If you can not find it, call the Salesman/Dealer and inform them they neglected to give you the PIN card and PIN for your keyless entry keypad.

Let us know how you make out.

Congratulations and good luck with your new car! :beerchug:

Unfortunately no luck scouring the car over. My car originated at another dealer then delivered to the dealer I used as part of a dealer trade. I also read in the manual where I should have an IKT security label which I did not get either. I do remember the salesperson ripping it off the keys and throwing on his desk but at that time I had no idea what it was. :headscratch:

The salesperson was on his 23rd CARS sale and was growing very weary of all of the paperwork. I have sent an email to the business manager since the salesperson did not have an account. I will likely call them up in person on Tuesday or so since they will likely be absolutely swamped on Monday with final CARS sales and submissions if they haven't already halted it themselves.

I am reading first two posts and can't believe my eyes! Two grown ups crying crocodile tears after two old cars, one 17 and second one 13 years old, unbelievable.

People, those are the CARS, metal boxes with wheels, millions of those everywhere! I felt like that after my dog died not after getting rid of old junk car. Now you have new shiny cars and enjoy them.

I am reading first two posts and can't believe my eyes! Two grown ups crying crocodile tears after two old cars, one 17 and second one 13 years old, unbelievable.

People, those are the CARS, metal boxes with wheels, millions of those everywhere! I felt like that after my dog died not after getting rid of old junk car. Now you have new shiny cars and enjoy them.

You felt like that about a dog? Unbelievable. Get a new one and enjoy it.

Sounds simple, doesn't it. It's not about the car/truck, it's about the life that happened around it---like a dog, like a house, etc. It's always about the memories, not the metal box with wheels. I don't expect you to understand and I really don't gauge my life by yours. Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful observation though.