CmelChappy

FFH's harsh, jolting ride qualities!

Purchased a FFH the end of June this year and love the car with the exception of the harsh, jolting ride over any but the smoothest road surface! This feature has ruined the car for me as I have been driving a 1971 T-Bird that was purchased new by my late father in late 1970, that is a super riding car. The harsh jolts over tar strips and man hole covers are severe enough to cause whiplash! My dealer has no new Fusions in stock that I can compare my car to and won't have for another month. Either I am an old geezer completly out of sync with today's automotive world, used to the great ride of the old Chrome barges of the sixties and seventies, or else my FFH has a problem with ride control. Could it be that the consumer of today accepts such harsh, jolting ride as the norm? This doesn't have to be.....my '65 mustang was lighter and smaller, but a much smoother riding car!

I’m not an expert but shocks, springs and tire side walls all contribute to the feeling of a smooth ride. Changing any and all of these components can greatly affect the road feel. 15” wheels with tires of the same outside diameter as the 17” tires on the FFH as well as changing to softer struts can help. This is a pricey solution just to get a smoother ride.

I’m not an expert but shocks, springs and tire side walls all contribute to the feeling of a smooth ride. Changing any and all of these components can greatly affect the road feel. 15” wheels with tires of the same outside diameter as the 17” tires on the FFH as well as changing to softer struts can help. This is a pricey solution just to get a smoother ride.

You answered my question, but left me terribly disappointed with FOMOCO. The speed limit top in my local area (county) is sixty miles per hour and there are very few kinks in the roadway that require a rock hard suspension. If I take the old roads that have been bypassed by modern roadway, the curves are strictly posted at around thirty five miles per hour or less and strictly enforced. Traffic tickets are costly in more than one way in Washington state.

I have been driving Ford cars for over sixty five years and my FFH has the most severe suspension of all which is a unfortunate sign of the times we live in. I've owned several mustangs starting with a 1965 fastback with 289 V8 which was much smoother than my hybrid and also smaller and lighter. I had a 1968 Cougar with a 289 V8 which was a great road car, also smaller and lighter than my hybrid. The number of forties and fifties Fords I owned were smaller and lighter than my Hybrid, but excellent road cars and most pleasing to drive. I have also owned a Plymouth Champ which was really small and lighter, but much smoother riding than my Hybrid and more than adequate for the roads it was driven on.

In other words, of the many cars I have owned, all but one have been decent riding and capable at legal, posted speed limits. Cars are designed to go around corners at illegal speeds, many to go at speeds in violation of common sense and the law. All I read nowadays is this car and that car can reach sixty mph in less that six seconds..do that around a police officer and suffer the consequences, it's called dragging, towit: reckless driving.

Finally, just read a posting here, that a member just purchased a Fusion Sport and drove it over twenty four hundred miles on a trip and got the decided impression that it was uncomfortable because of the stiffened suspension, but put up with it because of the great mileage at eighty miles per, a guaranteed reckless driving ticket most everywhere that I know of. The rear suspension on my Hybrid is so stiff that Ford could have saved a lot of money by using a solid axel bolted to the frame, it couldn't be any stiffer than it is now!

Come the first of 2010, my Hybrid will be in someone elses driveway, that's for sure. I shall purchase a car that doesn't snap my spine on every tar strip, manhole cover and cigarett but it runs over. This is extreme suspension design gone crazy! I have cancelled all long trips in the immediate future........................

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping would be honestly shared here, minus the FOMOCO employees and "groupies" that don't know any better. I need a car that will be comfortable for the road and I mean trips of several hundred miles (300-400 on days) and while sporty touring type handling is desired, trading off to poor suspension is not. I think I had better shy away from this car and look at the new Taurus instead. Sounds like my old Escape currently rides better then the Fusion does. Thanks for posting some honesty here.

I guess everything is relative. Compared to my 96 Ranger that I traded, the FFH is a dream.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping would be honestly shared here, minus the FOMOCO employees and "groupies" that don't know any better. I need a car that will be comfortable for the road and I mean trips of several hundred miles (300-400 on days) and while sporty touring type handling is desired, trading off to poor suspension is not. I think I had better shy away from this car and look at the new Taurus instead. Sounds like my old Escape currently rides better then the Fusion does. Thanks for posting some honesty here.

I don't work for Ford. Can you please provide the requirements which you feel entitle someone to be considered as a "groupie"......not sure whether I qualify or not :hysterical2:

As far as "not knowing any better" and "honestly sharing feedback"goes, well I do know this: my FFH rides better than my '97 Accord did, otherwise, I'd have retained it, instead of getting a FFH. But it doesn't matter how I or anyone else feels because everyone has their own opinions, so they're subjective; ya gotta get behind the wheel to see for yourself.

Rest assured, it's not my intent to try to convince or pursuade anyone into a FFH. This is just an interesting forum, where enthiusiasts gather and share info and driving experiences, nothing more, nothing less. Only you can know for sure whether a ride suits your needs. Make no mistake; it's a big-ticket item, so have you considered simply renting one for your next trip and find out for yourself?

This quote is pretty much dead on. The cars of the "60's" were tanks on 13" to if you were lucky 15" rims mounted on sloppy underperforming, uninspiring suspension. The cars you reference are decades upon decades old. The TV you watch isn’t the same. The radio you listen to isn’t the same, so on and so forth.

As technology (and somewhat taste) progresses, things have changed. And no offence to the OP, but you should have easily been able to determine ride quality prior to purchase. I have a set of 17” and 18” rims for my Maxima. When I put on my 18” I get a REAL reduction in road comfort. A LOT. More and more cars are having larger rims put on them, but in the case of the Hybrid the rim isn’t “that” large.

This isn’t a FOMOCO thing guys. This is where cars are today. You can pick which side you want (just be honest with yourself in your desires for ride quality). If you want sloppy uninspired driving, go get a Camry or a Malibu. I have driven both of them ('10) and they are the soggiest, boring non-drivers car out there. However, it seems that type of suspension is still desired by some. That predicament in not necessarily a good or a bad thing but it does point that this issue is not a manufacturing problem. It’s a buyer’s problem. Not enough research/driving/understanding prior to purchasing the car.

If anybody has read any of the marketing of the Fusion, it’s not a "Caddy" or "Buick" or other such vehicle that "slops" around. Ford, in their own way right/wrong/indifferent, has tried to market this car as a "sporty" sedan. I know prior to purchasing a car and spending that LARGE amount of money I drive it city, highway, dark, light and in the rain if possible. My cars have to last a long time and being "stuck" with something I am unhappy with makes the additional time spent irratating sales people worth it.

Being that it’s the Hybrid, the OP has the smallest rims available (largest sidewall/cusion). His only hope is to give up and get rid of it (like he indicated) or replace suspension pieces (not cost effective).

I haven't seen the OP or anyone else complaining about ride quality actually confirm that the tires have the correct pressure. They are shipped with 40 lbs and sometimes they don't get reset by the dealer. That will definitely affect ride comfort.

The FFH has not been reported to have a harsh ride by any reviewers that I can remember. So outside of having too much air pressure, the only logical explanation is that some people want a really, really cushy ride (a la Buick or a Crown Vic) and you're just not going to get that with the Fusion or any other newer vehicle. Although the Camry seems to be closer to Buick than any of the other competitors.

I never considered myself a "groupie", just a guy who likes his car. If I am supposed to be getting some type of kickback or discount from FOMOCO from complimenting their product, apparently the check or coupon got lost in the mail.

Anyway, my car rides much better than the Prius that I just had for over 100,000 miles. But then again the Prius was never purported to ride like a Crown Vic, so take that for what it's worth. The only thing I can guess at is whether the larger rims and smaller sidewalls might have on the ride compared to what the poster is used to having... but that's my guess and I will stick with it until the Michelin and Goodyear kickbacks arrive.

I had this topic in mind as I took a ride this morning for 30 miles around town, most roads are in good repair but of course there were several cracks and potholes too -- I had no problem with the comfort of the ride through any of it, certainly not to the extent that the OP noted! If it's really that bad I suggest the OP go back to the dealer and have them check the vehicle, or test drive another one to compare?

For someone to have that much of an adverse opinion of the ride, I have to wonder if there is a possibility that there are other special interests at work that are diametrically opposed to FOMOCO? :redcard:

Having traded from a 3-series BMW with sport package to a FFH, the ride is positively dreamlike. Is it possible the harsh ride described by the OP is more than just a relative comparison - might it have defective suspension components? Did anybody from the dealership drive the vehicle to ascertain whether it deviates from other FFH's?

A big reason I switched from my Acura to the FFH was because of the ride quality. The Acura had a jolting nervous ride where every little road imperfection felt like someone was kicking the seat from behind over and over again, kind of like how the OP describes. It was wonderful on a completely smooth asphalt road, but otherwise it was a nightmare to drive. So I think it's all relative.

I feel the FFH is great at handling bumps and cracks in the road and doing so without being too soft and boat-like. Again, that's coming from an import car that had a really tight suspension.

But in all honesty, if the FFH ride was too much softer, I would have lost interest, as I expect some level of "fun" and sportiness in my car. I personally think Ford found a good middle ground between comfort and sportiness.

I went from an Expedition EL to the Fusion. The Exp had huge tires and a ton of suspension travel.

The FFH is a Ford (line), not a Mercury (line), not a Lincoln (line). One of the reasons that manufactures have segment lines is that they will tune the ride, performance, and feature set of each model to what the customers expect from the brand line. The Lincolns (with some mis-steps like some MKZ models) are expected to be very smooth. The Ford line is generally more on the smaller, sporty side. I would not expect and not want a Lincoln ride from a Ford line model. I get motion sickness in most Lincolns.

That being said I have noticed that there is a pretty major transition point in the FFH. The ride below a certain amount of road disturbance is very smooth, then at a point the ride gets quite a bit harsher after that. I think this has quite a bit to do with the tires. The tires are a low rolling resistance type which seem to absorb less of the road disturbances. When they are at 40Lbs pressure or over they are like rocks. If the OO has not checked the tire pressure and dropped it to the recommended 35 then he has not given the car a fair shake. Mine came at 42Lbs cold - the day after I took it home.

Other than that I would not expect a truck ride or a Lincoln ride out of the FFH. I myself love the ride given the compromises made.

I am pretty surprised at the tone of this thread though, if you look at the postings I don't think this site is full of a bunch of fanboys. If you want to see fanboys you might want to check out the Prius forums (low blow - I know!) There was some good advice given and apparently not taken. I for one drove the FFH several times on various roads before I purchased. My big worry was merging into the 70Mph speed limit highway (lets just say the limit is somewhat slower than the average person goes) after trying it in a Prius. I merged on and off a bunch of times in the demo car before making a decision. I also took it onto some rougher roads. It sure didn't mosey over the potholes like my Exp did, but it was fine for me.

I can certainly imagine why any car would not fit the needs of everyone. Certainly the FFH won't - but given the fact that you can drive the car before purchasing means that the OO purchased a car that did not meet his needs, it doesn't make Ford a bad company or the FFH a bad car.

Jon

A big reason I switched from my Acura to the FFH was because of the ride quality. The Acura had a jolting nervous ride where every little road imperfection felt like someone was kicking the seat from behind over and over again, kind of like how the OP describes. It was wonderful on a completely smooth asphalt road, but otherwise it was a nightmare to drive. So I think it's all relative.

I feel the FFH is great at handling bumps and cracks in the road and doing so without being too soft and boat-like. Again, that's coming from an import car that had a really tight suspension.

But in all honesty, if the FFH ride was too much softer, I would have lost interest, as I expect some level of "fun" and sportiness in my car. I personally think Ford found a good middle ground between comfort and sportiness.

I never considered myself a "groupie", just a guy who likes his car. If I am supposed to be getting some type of kickback or discount from FOMOCO from complimenting their product, apparently the check or coupon got lost in the mail.

Anyway, my car rides much better than the Prius that I just had for over 100,000 miles. But then again the Prius was never purported to ride like a Crown Vic, so take that for what it's worth. The only thing I can guess at is whether the larger rims and smaller sidewalls might have on the ride compared to what the poster is used to having... but that's my guess and I will stick with it until the Michelin and Goodyear kickbacks arrive.

I had this topic in mind as I took a ride this morning for 30 miles around town, most roads are in good repair but of course there were several cracks and potholes too -- I had no problem with the comfort of the ride through any of it, certainly not to the extent that the OP noted! If it's really that bad I suggest the OP go back to the dealer and have them check the vehicle, or test drive another one to compare?

For someone to have that much of an adverse opinion of the ride, I have to wonder if there is a possibility that there are other special interests at work that are diametrically opposed to FOMOCO? :redcard:

The only Ford dealer for miles does not have and has not had a 2010 FFH for months and claims it has one on order, but not due for another month. There are no late Fusions on the lot, all gone. I realize that at my age, I am out of step with the general public of today. The car that changed the auto scene, and I owned three of them were good enough to rule their segment for a number of years, the Mustang and Cougar, were great cars and also great riding cars. Unlike my FFH, they didn't look like almost every other make on the road, nor did they have huge tires with tiny sidewalls. I have one last question to ask and that is why in the world would anyone buy a car that is so stiffly sprung that it would be miserable to drive. But then, why would anyone accept the filth that is our entertainment industry today or accept the loud, offensive music scene or the perversions of our society. I was out of my mind when I purchased my FFH because I didn't test drive it on crumby roads, I had no reason too. I read all the tests and was assured that it was a smooth, pleasant ride. I look out my window at a busy one way and marvel at how the majority of the cars going buy all look like clones. I used to wonder why all the late model cars stopped at speed bumps and slowly drove over them, now I know! I am guilty of driving a big, floaty T-Bird that has a comfortable front bench seat that seats three, a big steering wheel with lots of tilt. When I drive over bad road I don't have to grit my teeth. Be honest people, admit that we have been programmed to drive cars that ride like the little sports cars from Europe, not out of necessity but because it's the in thing to do. If all new cars are going to be like my FFH, I will buy a dreaded, restored floater like the mustang of the sixties.

There ya go! It's a conspiracy by the GM Forum guys!

As for me, I am locked into buying a FORD because it is a Co. Car and that's what my Co. buys and leases.

But aside from that I do know of a 2009 Fusion that made it's rounds and nobody wanted it for more then a month. They'd switch because it was brand new and became available but the guys I knew who each dumped it complained about the ride. They both preferred the older Ford Taurus bubble cars or the newer 500/ taurus. Both of those guys are trying to steer me away from any Fusion and I tend to believe their discomfort. Those are first hand references, although on a 2009 model. So, I'll look seriously at the Taurus for 2010.

Every car is not for every person. I loved every Honda Accord I had (89, 95, 2000, 2004). I did not like my Acura TL 2006. I have no idea why exactly I did not like the car, but I did not like it. I found the entire car uncomfortable. That being said, based on reviews and the opinions of others, the TL is a nice car. The FFH is a great car as well. It just may not be the car for you. Lower the tire pressure. If that does not work, I would sell it. The car is in demand and would sell easily.

I have never purchased a car I did not test drive. Cars are too personal a choice to leave up to reviewers -and far too expensive to leave to chance. The other problem is that even though I am 5-11 I have a very short legs and a long torso. I hit my head on the ceiling of many mid size cars. They still make modern cars that are super smooth and floaty. And get 19Mpg. I drove an '09 Town Car. Very much like you describe. Starts at $46K and gets 19Mpg average.

The only Ford dealer for miles does not have and has not had a 2010 FFH for months and claims it has one on order, but not due for another month. There are no late Fusions on the lot, all gone. I realize that at my age, I am out of step with the general public of today. The car that changed the auto scene, and I owned three of them were good enough to rule their segment for a number of years, the Mustang and Cougar, were great cars and also great riding cars. Unlike my FFH, they didn't look like almost every other make on the road, nor did they have huge tires with tiny sidewalls. I have one last question to ask and that is why in the world would anyone buy a car that is so stiffly sprung that it would be miserable to drive. But then, why would anyone accept the filth that is our entertainment industry today or accept the loud, offensive music scene or the perversions of our society. I was out of my mind when I purchased my FFH because I didn't test drive it on crumby roads, I had no reason too. I read all the tests and was assured that it was a smooth, pleasant ride. I look out my window at a busy one way and marvel at how the majority of the cars going buy all look like clones. I used to wonder why all the late model cars stopped at speed bumps and slowly drove over them, now I know! I am guilty of driving a big, floaty T-Bird that has a comfortable front bench seat that seats three, a big steering wheel with lots of tilt. When I drive over bad road I don't have to grit my teeth. Be honest people, admit that we have been programmed to drive cars that ride like the little sports cars from Europe, not out of necessity but because it's the in thing to do. If all new cars are going to be like my FFH, I will buy a dreaded, restored floater like the mustang of the sixties.

Be honest people, admit that we have been programmed to drive cars that ride like the little sports cars from Europe, not out of necessity but because it's the in thing to do. If all new cars are going to be like my FFH, I will buy a dreaded, restored floater like the mustang of the sixties.

I guess I am not the "classic" person. I enjoy a connected to the road feel. In fact I have owned ONE automatic in my 20 plus years of driving. My four door sedan is a 5 on the floor row your own variety. I would have a manual in my wife’s SUV if I could find one that offered it with the necessary options.

I have an 91 MR2 that has aftermarket suspension (stiffer). My Maxima has aftermarket suspension (stiffer). I put that stuff on (after the OEM stuff wears out) because I enjoy that "non-floaty" feeling. I toss my cars around. I also go over speed bumps slow because they tear cars up regardless what type of suspension is on them.

You should use reviews as a reference, not gospel truth. Use it to help narrow or be a devils advocate to your decision making process. Relying on a magazine article to tell you something is "perfect" or "for you" is not the best methodology. When was the last time you agreed with a movie review?

As for the other references to TV media and music; you were given a hand to operate the channel/station. Change it. I agree with the content and my “choice” is to find something else.

I think there is a generational issue at hand more than anything else, which isn’t a build construction/design/implementation issue.

And I agree with the above posters. CHECK THE AIR. However given the statements seen here and the timeframe of cars referred to, I doubt it will make enough of a difference.