spartanrob

Where to mount a GPS

Not sure if this is in the right forum or not. Just picked up a GPS for my 2010 Fusion and can't find the best place to put it. Right now i've mounted it to the lower left winshield above the side window defroster, but then if I need to use the power cable i have to string it across the steering wheel (not a big deal).

Just wondering where others are putting their GPS units? Are you hard wiring it?

I use a heavy bean bag type mount (its around $30) and put it right on the dashtop compartment cover (never use that space to store anything) and run the plug right down the side of the center stack to the cigar plug. Its reachable, easily removable and I haven't lost it yet on any sharp turns. There are no telltale suction cup rings.

That's one thing I hope Car makers eventually start building into their cars. Accomodation and a good place to mount and plug in your own GPS. Sure they'll claim they offer GPS but lets look at the FF for example. The NAV alone is an $1800 option (list) and to get it, you are required to buy the electronics package of B.S., err' I mean BLIS, Rearview camera, Back up alarm etc. etc, so thats now well over $3000 and closer to $4K, just to get the NAV. We all know we can buy a portable GPS (a decent one) for a mere few hundred dollars and that's what the majority of GPS users will indeed do. So why can't the car companies start to consider that and help us find a good mounting spot and a close by place for the plug and wire. My biggest beef is the wire and having to route it semi-neatly somewhere down below to plug it in. I hate the suction cup mounts because they only melt and become useless anyway. So, you raised a very good question here. I'd be inclined to hard mount it (screw it down) to the flip up cover there, towards the right side so the cord can hang straight down. One or two small screws should do it and that cover is probably easy to replace later if you need to sell the car. Of course, I use GPS allot so I am looking for something more solid and permanent. Currently I have a RAM (brand) mount and have that around the emergency brake handle of my Escape because I got tired of replacing suction cup mounts that are grossly over-priced.

Not sure if this is in the right forum or not. Just picked up a GPS for my 2010 Fusion and can't find the best place to put it. Right now i've mounted it to the lower left winshield above the side window defroster, but then if I need to use the power cable i have to string it across the steering wheel (not a big deal).

Just wondering where others are putting their GPS units? Are you hard wiring it?

We ordered the nav on our Fusion but on my HHR which also has the bin on top of the dash I just used the 2 sided tape and stuck the disk to the door and my Garman mounts to it.

Has anyone tried or used one of those mounts that clips into the a/c vent? I hate the air blowing straight on me anyway so covering one with a GPS for me is no big deal as the air still will easily circulate. I wonder how sturdy they are or if it will damage the vent louveres. Seems like a good place to mount it though, keeps it off the top of the dash and if you use the right side vent, allows the cord to hang straight down towards the accy port.

MOUNTNUVI-VENT-LG.jpg

I just now ordered one of these and will try it out in my Escape to see how it works. Looks good to me though. This is a Garmin made mount and I got it for less then $20 shipped.

I've got one in my '95 Mustang and my mom has one in her '93 Thunderbird and they both work fine. They don't always stay put when you take the GPS in and out, but it's not hard to adjust. They can be a bit difficult to put on and take off though due to the barbs on the end of the clips. I like the location down and to my right where it's easy to see but not in the way. It does block the airflow, but if I slide it to the far right, it's not too bad. I'm thinking of getting another one for my wife's '06 Escape Hybrid, but I'm not sure if it will work as well with the vertical vent design.

I've got one in my '95 Mustang and my mom has one in her '93 Thunderbird and they both work fine. They don't always stay put when you take the GPS in and out, but it's not hard to adjust. They can be a bit difficult to put on and take off though due to the barbs on the end of the clips. I like the location down and to my right where it's easy to see but not in the way. It does block the airflow, but if I slide it to the far right, it's not too bad. I'm thinking of getting another one for my wife's '06 Escape Hybrid, but I'm not sure if it will work as well with the vertical vent design.

Really surprised that nobody brought up Pro Clip international's vehicle specific mounts. I've had them in my last 4 cars and they are fantastic. you buy the mount for where in the car you want it and they all snap into place in no time flat and are completely removable. You can get all sorts of product mounts from phones to GPS to other do dads with fixed or swivel mounts. I just bought a bracket for my iphone mount I am transitioning from my Mustang for my new 2010 Fusion, check them out (and no I don't work for them).

http://www.proclipusa.com/

Has anyone tried or used one of those mounts that clips into the a/c vent? I hate the air blowing straight on me anyway so covering one with a GPS for me is no big deal as the air still will easily circulate. I wonder how sturdy they are or if it will damage the vent louveres. Seems like a good place to mount it though, keeps it off the top of the dash and if you use the right side vent, allows the cord to hang straight down towards the accy port.

MOUNTNUVI-VENT-LG.jpg

I just now ordered one of these and will try it out in my Escape to see how it works. Looks good to me though. This is a Garmin made mount and I got it for less then $20 shipped.

UPDATE!

Like I said above, I ordered one of these "to try" and have been using it for months now and the bottom line is that I love it! It's mounted into one of the vents (passenger vent) of my Ford Escape and it keeps the GPS unit just below dash board level so it's not easily seen from outside the car (no rattles either). It's perfect for me and I plan to buy another just like it for my new 2010 FF when I get it this spring. I also plan to buy a new GPS unit too, likely another new Garmin but one with lane recommendations or pocssibly net connected for weather and traffic alerts too. (Garmin 1690) Anyway, I can recommend this inexpensive mount which was around $20 if memory serves me correctly. A+

Edited by Rodeo

Hi lordof saanich, thanks for the ProClip link. I like how it's made and such, and I printed the info for installation, then took my Garmin Nuvi 260 out to my car and was holding it about where it looks like the ProClip will put it. It looks like the vent won't be blocked(like that), but it looks like half the radio display will be blocked(Don't like that). Is that true?

Thanks to you too Rodeo, for the info. That Garmin vent clip looks good, too, except i don't want to block the vent or risk breaking it.

Guess I'm stuck with my friction mount for now. At least Garmin's new one looks way better than the earlier beanbags, and it fits neatly in the dash top storage compartment.