WPWoodJr

Flipping the flip key

Whew, that's a relief cause I want one of those too. I had a similar problem with a switchblade

key for my Acura (that was really a new model Honda key somebody had machined to work with

the older Acuras). The chip in the key was compatible, but the tipof the key/groove in it are

slightly different.

The old timer at a locksmith near my house did not want to touch it with a 10-ft pole!!

So I found another locksmith run by the owner's young daughter. She cut that key and

programmed it in 5 minutes without blinking an eye. I was very impressed. The Acura

needs a special programming module (handheld device) whereas the Ford can be just done

with the keys alone. These keys are very popular so how a locksmith cannot cut them

is beyond me - unless they just have an older machine.

I think I'll go back to them for this key too. http://www.locksnkeys.com/ (in Phila area)

Says right on the front page - "Why go to a dealer?" - indeed!

this is great but I need to get that remote start button in there too. Ideas?

Isn't the remote start a separate little fob that you can just hang of the key ring?

It's not a special key is it?

Right, it's a separate fob, which I hate to carry.

I am pretty sure the separate fob for the remote start is a different frequency. I have it and there is a little antenna at the top of the windshield to the right of the mirror for the remote start. (Note that it's range if far greater then the entry key fob.)

But the real reason for this is a question. I looked at artiways pages on e-bay and these keys are listed for 07 08 & 09. No mention of 2010. I have a 2010 FFH and was wondering if anyone has successfully got it to work. I would think so, since there is no difference in the keys the dealer sells, but I am just looking for a bit of assurance before I order one.

Mine's a 2010.

I was pretty sure it would. Yes, we are in the Hybrid forum, so I assumed it would. Still, he only lists up to 2009 on e-bay.

A question. You all love this flip key. How does it look in the ignition switch? (On - Off switch? ). With the key blade at 90 degrees with the "Fob", how does it "hang" if you have other things hanging from it like a remote start fob and a house key(s) etc? Or should I just plan on carrying it by itself and carrying a second key ring of "stuff"?

I was pretty sure it would. Yes, we are in the Hybrid forum, so I assumed it would. Still, he only lists up to 2009 on e-bay.

A question. You all love this flip key. How does it look in the ignition switch? (On - Off switch? ). With the key blade at 90 degrees with the "Fob", how does it "hang" if you have other things hanging from it like a remote start fob and a house key(s) etc? Or should I just plan on carrying it by itself and carrying a second key ring of "stuff"?

Like how much does your knee knock into it and the keys or your ring?

Do most locksmiths have machines that can cut this key with the housing and all?

So it mounts properly in the cutter without having to take it apart?

I got my key in the mail yesterday. Takes about 10 days to get from Taiwan to east coast.

Anyway, here is a picture of how a key ring would attach to the key. The metal part

on the bottom of it comes off and you can put a key of about 1/2 inches through it seems.

Many hardware stores sell all size rings.

The pictures came from the person who sold me the key on ebay.

post-4175-1248957553_thumb.jpg

Check this forum. Many of us FFH owners have this key.

works fine!

Just wanted to add my great experience with the "flip Key". I ordered the flip key off e bay about 1 week ago. It came today. First I programmed the lock-unlock which worked perfectly the first time and took about 5 minutes. Then I went to the dealer because some of you have said the dealer would cut the key for free. The dealer could not get the blade into the key machine so I took the key head off as some of you have described and the dealer cut it for free. Then I programmed the transponder. It also worked the first time. All told took less 30 minutes to get fully operational. A question was asked about does it hang down or interfere with leg space? Again no problem.

So the experience so far has been great.

However one question I have is the transponder and the car have to have the same code or the car won't start. If Welly's fob is not as reliable as the Ford OE fob and the transponder fails you might not be able to start the car. Is anyone carrying an OEM fob just in case?

Hi,

I ordered the flip key a little over a week ago and received it yesterday. Went to my local UPS Store to cut the key. Having read the post here I took out the blade before going to the store. Originally the owner told me that it wasn't the same key but that he would cut if I wanted. I told him to go for it.

Came back home and in less than five minutes I had the key and the remote programmed.

The most difficult part was finding a key ring small enough to fit the key. The picture in one of the earlier post help a lot, however, please note that the ring should be 1.5 centimeters, not 1.5 inches (big difference!!!)

The key and remote work perfectly in my 2010 Fusion Hybrid.

APM.

This guy should be paying the forum advertising fees. Just bought my key as well now.

He's in Taiwan collecting our money and avoiding paying taxes. After having the key

for a while, I decided it's a not that big of a deal. It protrudes out farther than I

care for (I bump my knee on it) and hard as hell to get a small ring in there.

If you go to cut it, bend and hold the key 90deg and there are two small screws

at the base of the key that will be visible. Take the key itself off the fob and you

have a blank that can be cut without the fob interfering with the cutting machine.

My professional locksmith semi-messed it up and it was hard to turn in the iginition,

so I was afraid to use it. For $5, he send me just a new key blank that I can

have cut and replace.

Just received my flip keys from the ebay link referenced in this thread. I ordered 2 for the MMH.

My local Ace Hardware wouldn't touch these, but recommended a small local shop that does key work for some of the dealerships in the area.

One key worked great, but the other one slipped in the vise and was miscut. I tried it anyway, and it opens the door and turns in the ignition, but then it took me nearly 10 minutes to get it *out*. Won't be putting it back in, for sure!

I'm in the process of ordering a few replacement blades. I'll have them all cut, and put the extras away for later, when the current ones wear out. Once I have a couple of flip keys, I'll put the originals away in a safe place.

Programming the one that fit ok was really, really simple.

Do your flip keys work no matter how you place them in the ignition? Mine only works one side up, not both, unlike the factory keys.

had it done at Lowes on their electronic machine

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I will have to get a spare blade and try to have a different place cut it this time.

I got my Flip Key today. You now have to look in E-bay under Ford Flip Keys. It's listed as: 07 08 09 10 FORD FLIP KEY REMOTE FIVE HUNDRED FREESTYLE. I programmed the remote entry, unscrewed the two blade screws to remove the blade and cut the key. The first ACE hardware said they couldn't cut it. The second ACE cut it for free. I went to the parking lot to check the cut before reassembly. It turned to the on position easily but not to start and the dash alarm light blinked rapidly as expected because the key had not yet been programmed. I then couldn't turn the key "Off" and remove it with my fingers with the stub sticking out. I was afraid the HV battery would run down in the "on" position (no green drive light though). I now think the HV battery is not connected until the "green car" appears. I called road-side assistance and they arrived quickly. He determined there was no anti-theft system at work holding the new un-programmed key in and got a pair of pliers and turned it off and removed it with no damage. Car is now working normally. I reassembled the Flip Key and tried it in the trunk and then the door. It went to the right easily but was a little stiff with a wiggle requirement to turn back to the left. I then programmed the key in the ignition with the two original keys successfully. It is still stiff when turning switch off but it works. I keep a non-remote key in the car for normal operation so I won't be using the Flip Key much in the ignition. The cut is probably not exact enough although it turns to the right easily.

Lee