tx_traveler

Selling 2010 Fusion Hybrids under MSRP?

I am in the market for a 2010 Fusion Hybrid. Although I haven't made a formal offer yet, the dealers in central Texas are all saying that they won't sell below MSRP. One dealer even claimed MSRP + $1000.

This seems consistent with what other people have posted hear. I am wondering if things are softening up a bit. I'd be curious to hear what prices people are actually paying for the Fusion Hybrids now.

I am in the market for a 2010 Fusion Hybrid. Although I haven't made a formal offer yet, the dealers in central Texas are all saying that they won't sell below MSRP. One dealer even claimed MSRP + $1000.

This seems consistent with what other people have posted hear. I am wondering if things are softening up a bit. I'd be curious to hear what prices people are actually paying for the Fusion Hybrids now.

I just placed an order for a Fusion Hybrid with the 502A package (loaded with everything but remote start) for $29,782.23 under the Ford Partners X-Plan. Taxes (3% in NC) and title ($74) were additional. I was surprised the dealer accepted X-Plan pricing, but because it was an order, and didn't come out of their allocation, they were fine with it. I was told that orders made before June 9 would be given build priority over dealer allocations.

I paid MSRP for mine. They wouldn't budge a dime. They said most units were allocated to the coasts. Us floks in MN are not seeing many.

Here in Houston, Tx (not exactly the hybrid capitol of the world ((grin))) its MSRP or a little less

I ordered my car a couple of weeks ago. I paid MSRP, however the dealer conceded me $500 for my total junker of a trade-in. I'd have been happy if he'd just have taken it off my hands at no cost. True, I am a "loyalty" customer, having bought 3 previous cars from this dealer (going back some 18 years). So maybe I got a little break, or maybe I got shafted -- I don't much care. I just want my car to show up reasonably soon.

Here in Houston, Tx (not exactly the hybrid capitol of the world ((grin))) its MSRP or a little less

Yep, I'm in Houston too and I paid MSRP. Tried to haggle but dealer wouldn't budge other than giving me a few free car washes. They have a hot product and they know it ;-).

I ordered mine on a X-plan 3-30-09. It is scheduled to arrive on 6-8-09. The dealer had no problem with the X-plan as long as it was ordered. They were selling their one allocated FFH for 5K over sticker! It seems pretty clear from other posters that a dealer will give a good price on an order and far less likely to do so with a car off the lot.

What is X-plan. You can point me to another post if you need to. Thanks!

I ordered mine on a X-plan 3-30-09. It is scheduled to arrive on 6-8-09. The dealer had no problem with the X-plan as long as it was ordered. They were selling their one allocated FFH for 5K over sticker! It seems pretty clear from other posters that a dealer will give a good price on an order and far less likely to do so with a car off the lot.

Here in upstate new york I was able to purchase my fusion hybrid at $500 above invoice.

Apple Ford in Shakopee. MN

Who did you get it from?

I did an informal personal poll in February of dealers here from Duluth to Minneapolis and it was about 50/50 on who said they would sell at MSRP and who was going to sell above MSRP. I got mine from Elk River at MSRP. I did the visits before the allocation strategy went from dealer "lottery" to customer orders first. I think the lottery might of had something to do with the above MSRP crap, because some of the dealers thought they were so lucky to have gotten 2 of them and wanted to brag about it.

I was able to get mine $500 over Invoice but only if i ordered it.

I ordered mine and got $1,000 under MSRP, which was probably about $1,500 above invoice, so you did great compared to others! I test drove the FFH and asked the dealer what their bottom line was for pricing policy if I ordered, the salesman checked with the sales manager (geez, they probably have to check with them to get permission to use the restroom too, they can never say a darn thing without checking)... he came back and said they were willing to go 3% below MSRP, and later that day I said OK.

Can anyone tell me what dealerships in the dallas area are selling below MSRP? Everyone I've talked to so far wants the sticker price.

Here in the Houston area it's pretty much MSRP (I also e-mailed a Ford dealer in Huntsville (small town about 40 miles north of Houston) MSRP there too :cry:

Here in the Houston area it's pretty much MSRP (I also e-mailed a Ford dealer in Huntsville (small town about 40 miles north of Houston) MSRP there too :cry:

I think maybe you (and the person in Dallas who also posted above you) maybe need to widen your horizons a bit, for me it's always been worth a little bit of distance to save several hundred bucks, to get just the car I want, or both.

I just went to fordvehicles.com and did a "search dealer inventory" on zip 78701 which is Austin TX. There are 5 dealers on the dropdown and all of them have at least 1 FFH in stock, the last one I think had 6. Anyway, if you find any of those models that match what you want, go to that dealer's web site (rather than through fordvehicles.com) and write to them that they are ONE OF SEVERAL dealers that have a FFH model that you are willing to buy, and ask for their best price, and note that if they have the best price they will get your business. If you approach a dealership as the customer that really wants the car and they know they have the upper hand, they won't budge on price. If you let them them know that they are not the only game in town and that you are willing to take a quick road trip to get what you want for the price you want, I think their business sense will get the better of them when they know they could lose the sale. And if you do this and don't get cooperation from your local dealer, it might be useful to drop a note to the sales manager of the dealership(s) that wouldn't budge and tell them you are happy with your purchase and it's a shame it wasn't from them. I did this very thing with my local dealer, my current salesman is great but I told him "ya see that guy over there? I test drove a car with him in 2005 and he refused to come off MSRP and I went an hour away and saved $700".

So I say turn the tables a bit and make them earn your business by giving you the best price, rather than you being at their whim and them thinking you are all starry-eyed over some car (which is often the case with new-car fever). If nobody is willing to budge when you inquire on the prices, you've only wasted a little search time and a few emails, no big deal. Another benefit of using this method is that any small bit of haggling (of which there should be very little, if you don't like their answer then move on) is done online and not in their dealership in person, where they definitely have the upper hand. Good luck!