ptjones

Figuring out the right tire pressure to use

FACT: If you just do everything you are told, you will miss out on a lot in life.

While I totally get the "dead horse" sentiment... I really like this post. Good on pt for trying something different and being happy!

On the other hand, I just don't understand the complete and utter obsession with posting about it and suggesting that others do the same. There is little way the benefits outweigh the risks... But, to each his own.

Checked tire wear on a friends 2017 fusion with 75k energy savers. Car does a mix of highway and city.
Pressures are always set to 35 psi according to the door sticker and verified with the pressure readouts on the dashboard so you cant argue the tire pressure gauge is out of calibration.

At 35 psi, there is slightly more wear in the middle than the edges. So, it seems like 35 is the ideal pressure for a Fusion.

DSC-0169.jpg

DSC-0170.jpg

DSC-0171.jpg

DSC-0172.jpg

Edited by billford

All are wearing the same, as they are rotated regularly. The middle of tire has almost 1/32 more wear at 35, so If he was using 50, I would guess the middle of the tire would be worn out right now. 35 looks like it ideal.

I'm not recommending anything

I just posted pictures of tread measurements on a 2017 Fusion Hybrid with original 75k tires that have always been set to the door sticker at 35 psi, rotated regularly, and has resulted in slightly more wear (less than 1/32) in the center part of the tread.

Edited by billford

I'm not telling others what pressures to use.

Based on the pictures I posted, 35 seems like its the ideal pressure for this 2017 Fusion Hybrid.

You wrote earlier:

Talking to Michelin Rep they recommend starting with FORD's recommended pressure and then find the pressure that gives even tire wear.

By the pictures I posted, it has even wear within less than 1/32 at 35 psi as verified by the depth gauge, by the dash readout and pressure gauge. So, based on that, your Michelin rep and the door sticker, the pressure to use on this 2017 Fusion is 35.

All I did was to post my experience on the topic. People can make their own decisions.

Edited by billford

You haven't commented on running on the sidewalls at that pressure, you actually think that is a safe thing too do? Or that I have shown better tire wear using 50 psi.

I started at 38 psi and got more wear on the edge so I ended up at 50 psi and Michelin Tire Rep said was the best given I was getting even tire wear. I will stick with Michelin Rep's advice. :)

Paul

All I did was contribute to the thread and posted pictures of a 2017 Fusion Hybrid with even tire wear that has been set to 35 psi all its life.

People can make their own decisions on their Fusions as you made your decision of what psi to use for your Cmax.

If the pictures are off topic or causing a problem with you, I can delete them if you wish.

Edited by billford