shrig31

2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE mpg?

Hi,

I have a 2016 Ford Fusion hybrid SE, and I am getting only 38 miles per gallon. While the sticker says its around 42 miles per gallon combined.

Can anyone please comment on this? Also how much mpg are you getting?

Regards,

Shri

Many factors plays on your MPG: weather, cruising speed, city or highway, AC on or off etc.

I'm actually getting 40 MPG and average weather for this winter is -10. Which is excellent!

After almost a thousand miles over six weeks since I bought my '15 FFH, I'm seeing my overall mileage creep up to near 38 mpg. It seems to take forever to get that number up but I take great happiness in seeing short, local trips ranging from 33 to 56 mpg. Be patient, enjoy the fun of driving this terrific car, and read postings on this forum. You'll find most of your questions and concerns answered here.

In Maryland, I see my lowest MPG from late November through about the end of March. However, Spring, Summer, and Fall more than make up for the bleak Winter months! In the end, it should even out. You probably won't be so concerned if your MPG jumps to 46 in a few months.

In Maryland, I see my lowest MPG from late November through about the end of March. However, Spring, Summer, and Fall more than make up for the bleak Winter months! In the end, it should even out. You probably won't be so concerned if your MPG jumps to 46 in a few months.

Yeah ... same here. My tank MPG has dropped several points (based on receipt) since setting up for Winter. I'm getting 34-37 MPG per tank versus the 42-46 (and sometimes 48+) over the Summer. Gotta love using snow tires and having nasty driving conditions.

Edited by Cobra348

Hi,

I have a 2016 Ford Fusion hybrid SE, and I am getting only 38 miles per gallon. While the sticker says its around 42 miles per gallon combined.

Regards,

Shri

If you want to improve your MPG's you could add Grill Blockers, Covers to speed up the warming up of the ICE(engine), It is very hard for this car to get up to operating temps of 202*F where it get the best gas mileage. There is alot of info on this Forum on this subject. :)

Paul

Hi,

Regards,

Shri

I also live in the Bay Area (Marin) and my 2015 FFH SE displays 45.5 mpg overall (19,000 miles). Actual mpg would be about 2 mpg less from the times I've calculated it. In this cooler (not cold) winter weather I see 43-44 displayed for suburban driving; in summer another 2 mpg.

It would be interesting to test your Odometer with a GPS to see how accurate it is. I'm thinking it will be off and you are getting an half a mpg better than you think. :)

Paul

It would be interesting to test your Odometer with a GPS to see how accurate it is. I'm thinking it will be off and you are getting an half a mpg better than you think. :)

Paul

Come on man, that's just not even significant. BTW, I've compared mine a few times in both of my cars and found no significant difference between GPS, odometer, and mile markers.

The 2010-12 FFH odometers uniformly read about 2 % low. That's about 1 mpg. The fuel computers read about 4% high. The net mpg was about 1 mpg less than the computers calculated

5868 mile (98+ engine hour) 21-day March / April road trip through 15 states.

37.7 mpg mostly highway / interstate at speeds ranging from 75 to 85 miles per hour (...no tickets)

$373 fuel cost (mostly 89 octane). Lowest price $1.95 Wells, NV; highest $2.59 Green Bay, WI

First leg: Eastern Oregon to Northern Arizona with 3 occupants.

Second leg east on I-40 Needles, CA to Memphis (old Route 66) then north to Green Bay and final leg I-90 west ...2 occupants.

elevation ranges 6300 ft to 337 ft

New 2016...getting 44.5 average over first 2700 miles...mostly Uber Driving

Pretty Impressed so far...always keep it in "ECO" mode

I have a 2016 FFH SE as well, the first 2000 miles the MPG was around what you're stating you get. Now at 6900 miles I'm avg 43.7 and that is increasing steadily, many of my trips are avg closer to 49 mpg. You have to allow for the break in of the engine and bearings etc.

I also agree with lolder, temps are going up, the formula is MPG's go up 2 mpg for each 10*F increase in temps. :)

Paul

Hi,

Regards,

Shri

I get this in pretty much any car I drive. EPA tests are done under ridiculously ideal conditions - conditions so predictable that Volkswagen was able to program its cars to cheat the test.

My lifetime average is about 37.3 mpg. I've had trips where I easily broke 45 or even 50, usually if downhill driving was involved. I've also had trips where I didn't even make 30 mpg - they were long uphill journeys on mountain roads, or in exceptionally horrible gridlock.

Traffic conditions and the climate can have a big impact on fuel economy. Hybrids perform best in stop-and-go conditions, but if things are 95% stop and 5% go, the engine will start turning on without the car actually moving, and that kills fuel economy. Liberal use of the heater in the winter is also a great way to sap fuel economy - I personally set mine to 16-17 Celsius in defog mode, because my jacket already protects me from the cold and the seat heaters are more energy efficient anyway.

I get this in pretty much any car I drive. EPA tests are done under ridiculously ideal conditions - conditions so predictable that Volkswagen was able to program its cars to cheat the test.

My lifetime average is about 37.3 mpg. I've had trips where I easily broke 45 or even 50, usually if downhill driving was involved. I've also had trips where I didn't even make 30 mpg - they were long uphill journeys on mountain roads, or in exceptionally horrible gridlock.

Traffic conditions and the climate can have a big impact on fuel economy. Hybrids perform best in stop-and-go conditions, but if things are 95% stop and 5% go, the engine will start turning on without the car actually moving, and that kills fuel economy. Liberal use of the heater in the winter is also a great way to sap fuel economy - I personally set mine to 16-17 Celsius in defog mode, because my jacket already protects me from the cold and the seat heaters are more energy efficient anyway.

While I agree with most everything you said above, I do disagree with the part where you say "Hybrids perform best in stop-and-go", at least as far as FFHs go.

I get the best fuel economy when I am able to just "go" with no "stop", since the FFH uses up much more gas to accelerate back up to speed, then it does if I can drive at a constant 30-40 MPH, due to the effects of inertia and all that Newton's laws stuff. It takes me much less gas to keep going at a constant slower speed than it does to get the heavy FFH accelerated again from a stop. It is very much the same effect as watching the needle on the gas gauge visibly move down in the gas-guzzling V8s of old when you floor the accelerator pedal on them.

The recoup of energy from the regenerative braking is much, much less than the amount of energy which was expended on accelerating in the first place. You can't stop unless you first go, and that initial acceleration is the crux of the fuel economy degradation in the FFH. :)

For my specific commutes, each stop, and therefore the subsequent acceleration from a stand-still due to the stop, translates to less MPGs than I can get by keeping the mass of the FFH at a constant relatively low speed, thanks to Newton's laws.

While I agree with most everything you said above, I do disagree with the part where you say "Hybrids perform best in stop-and-go", at least as far as FFHs go.

I get the best fuel economy when I am able to just "go" with no "stop", since the FFH uses up much more gas to accelerate back up to speed, then it does if I can drive at a constant 30-40 MPH, due to the effects of inertia and all that Newton's laws stuff. It takes me much less gas to keep going at a constant slower speed than it does to get the heavy FFH accelerated again from a stop. It is very much the same effect as watching the needle on the gas gauge visibly move down in the gas-guzzling V8s of old when you floor the accelerator pedal on them.

The recoup of energy from the regenerative braking is much, much less than the amount of energy which was expended on accelerating in the first place. You can't stop unless you first go, and that initial acceleration is the crux of the fuel economy degradation in the FFH. :)

For my specific commutes, each stop, and therefore the subsequent acceleration from a stand-still due to the stop, translates to less MPGs than I can get by keeping the mass of the FFH at a constant relatively low speed, thanks to Newton's laws.

In city traffic I use electric to get to about 20 MPH. By that time I will either have to slow down for the traffic (or the next $%%$@# red light) or will have a good shot at getting to speed limit - which I then do use the gas pedal. And believe it or not, I set and use the cruise in the city when I know there are several blocks with little to no need to slow. It works many times.

I've had the 2016 Fusion Hybrid Titanium since January and my average is 41.7MPG but many trips reflect 52 - 57mpg (locals on flat land and hills where hill was downhill to my house). I only use 100% gasoline with no ethanol unless I'm on a long haul trip somewhere. If I used regular gas the average would be a couple mile per gallon lower. I happen to have an app on my iPhone called Pure Gas which shows stations nearby that offer 100% gasoline. Sure, the gas is a little more expensive but my Fusion and my Ford Explorer Sport Trac run a lot better on this gas than ethanol based. I've been doing this the last 5 years. This only really applies to those that are located outside city limits as rules won't allow 100% gas to be sold in certain areas with heavier populations. But if you live in the suburbs in many places there is a station or two within 20 miles most likely. I use this gas in all of my lawn equipment as well.

In SW Florida today, ethanol free was $2.71.9 at Race Track. Regular 89 octane was $2.01.9. That's 25% more expensive for maybe 5% better mpg. You say they run better on 100%. How? Do they miss or stutter on the ethanol mix? Do they have more power? 10% ethanol may have 4% less energy per gallon. Using ethanol free for off road uses may be fine but I think it's a waste of money for vehicles.

Let the games begin, again.

I tried several tank fulls of ethanol free. Never noticed any difference, either in power or MPGs.

In an older car, it makes a big difference, but the computers in these vehicles can wring every erg out of the fuel.

I was struggling to get mine in decent figures..

but once summer came, and I reached 12k miles, I am doing 49.9 MPG (non american - brittish ones).

oh and mine is Mondeo (as they are sold in Europe)

In SW Florida today, ethanol free was $2.71.9 at Race Track. Regular 89 octane was $2.01.9. That's 25% more expensive for maybe 5% better mpg. You say they run better on 100%. How? Do they miss or stutter on the ethanol mix? Do they have more power? 10% ethanol may have 4% less energy per gallon. Using ethanol free for off road uses may be fine but I think it's a waste of money for vehicles.

Let the games begin, again.

Ethanol attracts water into gasoline over time. I don't commute to an office (home office or fly to customers) and so my vehicles (Ford Sport Trac and the new Ford Fusion Hybrid) sit for awhile before they are driven. That sitting can attract water vapor into the tank unless I keep the tank on full most of the time. I could use a fuel additive but ethanol free gas prevents that attraction of water vapor. It's also recommended to use ethanol free on your lawn mower and other devices as it's just better for those smaller engines as well. Since I can get ethanol free why not if price is not an issue for me ($.20 difference here) since I don't drive that much. I don't believe in supporting the ethanol mandates as well. It's all a scam to help very large agri-business conglomerates in my opinion. Not more power but I do get better mileage on both vehicles and I have 4 stations within easy driving distance so sometimes the price is just a few cents higher than regular. I have seen rough performance if the Sport Trac has been sitting for a month when I used regular gas....I attribute that to water in the tank...once I filled up it was fine. It's really a personal preference and if you can get it close to regular price.

$.20 is a lot different story than $.70. I don't know if the modern sealed vapor systems allow water vapor in. I agree the ethanol mandates are subsidies for the farmers. Ethanol from corn is ridiculous.