Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Preparing for winter with a comprehensive strategy to improve MPGs including grille blocking & more

grille covers grille blocking MPGs winter driving winter fuel economy FFH Fusion Hybrid

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jsolan

jsolan

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 194 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:58 AM

I can see where the grill cover would help immensely in the winter, the ICE seems to cool VERY quickly when you get out in the cold air.

I'm down to 42-43 on my work commute (was 50+ in the summer).  I thought it would drop even more as it gets colder, but now I'm not sure.  I've found the heater doesn't matter much unless you're stopped.  At least in my car, the engine runs pretty constant anyway for about the first 3-5 miles regardless of whether or not I have the heater turned on.  Even when it goes into EV mode after that, the threshold is much lower to kick back over to ICE until the car is fully warmed, which seems to be close to 10 miles in (about 3/4 of my trip).  Once the ICE is warm, the heater blows enough warm air for me to coincide with when it needs to recharge the battery.  If I'm at a stop sign, the car will shutoff as long as it's after it's initial warmup stage and I don't have the heater on.

Yesterday I tried pulsing and gliding on the back road for the final few miles of my trip in the morning.  The past few mornings I was showing 33-34 mpg on the instant for the drive in, and yesterday I got 38.5 even though it was the coldest day of the week so far.  I'm going to try to keep doing that so long as theres no traffic.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

Are you getting the mid 40s with your heat on acdii? It's been cold here the last two days and I've had a hard time, getting 35-39 mpg. I even tried driving the entire way home from work today with only my seat heater on and no heat. Got 42 mpg. Normally if get about 47 on that trip in the fall/spring. Maybe it's the winter fuel and using the heat combo that's getting me the upper 30 mg readings. A pretty big drop though for me.

Yep, I have mine set to floor @ 72*, fan at the second speed mark.  Got 44.3 this morning, I also had both seat heaters on.   If I have to use defrost though, then it is lower because of the AC use. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#43 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

I can see where the grill cover would help immensely in the winter, the ICE seems to cool VERY quickly when you get out in the cold air.

I'm down to 42-43 on my work commute (was 50+ in the summer).  I thought it would drop even more as it gets colder, but now I'm not sure.  I've found the heater doesn't matter much unless you're stopped.  At least in my car, the engine runs pretty constant anyway for about the first 3-5 miles regardless of whether or not I have the heater turned on.  Even when it goes into EV mode after that, the threshold is much lower to kick back over to ICE until the car is fully warmed, which seems to be close to 10 miles in (about 3/4 of my trip).  Once the ICE is warm, the heater blows enough warm air for me to coincide with when it needs to recharge the battery.  If I'm at a stop sign, the car will shutoff as long as it's after it's initial warmup stage and I don't have the heater on.

Yesterday I tried pulsing and gliding on the back road for the final few miles of my trip in the morning.  The past few mornings I was showing 33-34 mpg on the instant for the drive in, and yesterday I got 38.5 even though it was the coldest day of the week so far.  I'm going to try to keep doing that so long as theres no traffic.

With the cover i made, it acts no different now in 20* temps than it did when it was 70*. Right now the only factor that is killing the MPG is the fuel. I am using a bit less EV too due to the cold affecting the SOC, but the one thing for sure is the winter blend fuel, it makes a 3-5 MPG difference.  My trips home from work have always been lower as there are more lights turning red and 3 times the traffic.  Where I can do 40-45 MPH in the morning, lucky to do 35, and always having to slow down, or stop, so instead of getting around 42 or so as in the summer its more like 39. My lifetime so far has dropped from 44.1 to 43.8 just in the past two weeks since the new fuel came out mid October.  My Flex has also been affected by it, normally I see 21, but this last tank was 16.8. 

If I take off the cover, then mine will be like yours too. It makes a huge difference on this particular car, where the 2010 was hardly affected, just the fuel made the biggest difference in that car. 

Posted Image

#44 OFFLINE   aaronj1159

aaronj1159

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

I managed to hit 53 MPG on the way to work this morning in 19 degree (F) weather. This is improved from yesterday's 49 MPG in similar conditions. I did 2 things differently:

First, I checked my tires and found one of my back ones to be significantly lower than normal, so I fixed that.

Second, I only turned my heat up to 65 (and only after the car was up to temperature, as normal) instead of my normal 71. Honestly with the way I bundle up in the mornings I didn't even notice a difference. 

I get a lot lower fuel economy on the way home due to elevation change, but yesterday I only got 39-ish. Will look to get back above 40 today for an average in the 46 range.

• hybridbear likes this

#45 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

Prius also has a thermos bottle to store hot coolant, so it can go colder than the Fusion.

I got to see a Prius up on a lift at a Toyota dealer the other day and I saw what this looks like. It's really cool! Basically, right behind the catalytic converter there is a metal thermos bottle. The bottle is filled with coolant and the exhaust pipe runs through the middle of it. Thus the Prius stores hot coolant in that bottle to use for heat. Perhaps the FFH does something similar and we just don't know it. I really want to see the FFH up on a lift now to study it.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#46 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

I got to see a Prius up on a lift at a Toyota dealer the other day and I saw what this looks like. It's really cool! Basically, right behind the catalytic converter there is a metal thermos bottle. The bottle is filled with coolant and the exhaust pipe runs through the middle of it. Thus the Prius stores hot coolant in that bottle to use for heat. Perhaps the FFH does something similar and we just don't know it. I really want to see the FFH up on a lift now to study it.

From what I read in the past, the Fusion does have something similar, but not as a storage device, the coolant runs around the exhaust system for faster warmup. It doesnt have capacity to maintain heat for cabin use, but is just used to bring up the over all ICE temps. 

Posted Image

#47 OFFLINE   airbusguy

airbusguy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

hybridbear

Don't know if you've followed this thread, General Info for FFH Techies

You might want to give a quick peek at Mounting, section 3-1 in the Body Modifiers pdf. Its the second link.

The first line is a caution about restricting airflow through the grill with sirens/lightbars -  which are considerably less porous than grill shields. I realize they are probably referring to high demand requirements in hot weather, but it is interesting to note the car will automatically reduce power and torque to protect itself if airflow is impeded too much thus causing temperatures to rise too high.  Make sure your covers are well hidden when you go for warranty work or even general mechanical work ;)

210489.png

#48 OFFLINE   Eddie Sessum

Eddie Sessum

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 595 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKZ Hybrid

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

hybridbear

Don't know if you've followed this thread, General Info for FFH Techies

You might want to give a quick peek at Mounting, section 3-1 in the Body Modifiers pdf. Its the second link.

The first line is a caution about restricting airflow through the grill with sirens/lightbars -  which are considerably less porous than grill shields. I realize they are probably referring to high demand requirements in hot weather, but it is interesting to note the car will automatically reduce power and torque to protect itself if airflow is impeded too much thus causing temperatures to rise too high.  Make sure your covers are well hidden when you go for warranty work or even general mechanical work ;)

Unless your doing alot of daytime desert driving at full throttle I dont see that being an issue. 

225770.png

#49 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

In these cold temps, the chances of overheating are very low. The important radiator, the one for the electric components is at the bottom, and not covered.  I wouldn't have one on in 80* temps though, but in winter, shouldnt be an issue at all.

Posted Image

#50 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 635 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

Well I have LEXAN sheets to make several FFH sets. I'm in the process of cutting them out and wondering how many members are interested in them. From my trip to AZ and back I have learned that the ICE update has changed the temp the shutters open until 210degrees at slow speeds and 215degrees around 60mph+. I saw temps as high as 236degrees on ScanGauge going up hills and high speed. I also have a cutout cover I use for higher temps that lowers the ICE temp by approx. 10degrees. The top white line on Smart Temp Gauge is around 242degrees. So this is not a problem but some people may not want to run coolant temp. that high so I'm going to supply second big Grill cover with cutouts to get more air flow with out losing the aero improvement. Also we need to determine where and how to attach License Plate. I'm looking at $100 for the two center covers and small lower cover.

Paul   

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#51 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

Don't bother with the lower cover, leave it off, it doesn't do anything, and could impede cooling of the cooling system for the electrical.   Already did the testing of that, made zero difference in temps, the main grill is all that needs to be covered.

• hybridbear likes this

Posted Image

#52 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 635 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Don't bother with the lower cover, leave it off, it doesn't do anything, and could impede cooling of the cooling system for the electrical.   Already did the testing of that, made zero difference in temps, the main grill is all that needs to be covered.

I'm surprised that the bottom doesn't do anything because of the large surface area of radiator. I thought the inverter radiator was behind ICE radiator. When it gets real cold it's preferable to completely block of everything for around town and for distances of about 15mi or less on FWY. The CMAX has very small intake area for radiator. I have cut out covers for 2013 FFH and would like to do some testing. I was hoping for someone in Atlanta area but may need to send to member with ScanGauge to test.

Paul 

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#53 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

I tested ICE temps with the scan gauge both with and without the cover. I made the main cover first and a week later the lower cover, but there was no change in ICE temps after putting the lower cover on. According to HB, the lower grill has the inverter cooling radiator.  These tests were done in 20* and lower temps.  So far we have had several 20* mornings and I still managed to get 45 MPG, so the one cover is working good.   Also if there is a license plate frame, there are tabs on the back of it that you need to cut slots for and pry the frame forward so you can slide the cover behind and lock it in, but you can risk distorting the bumper cover.   I also have the Adaptiv cruise so there is only about 40 square inches of open area.

Posted Image

#54 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 635 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

I wonder if there is any aero improvement by blocking it off?

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

#55 OFFLINE   Eddie Sessum

Eddie Sessum

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 595 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKZ Hybrid

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

We can always go prius with duct tape :P

• dalesky likes this

225770.png

#56 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

I wonder if there is any aero improvement by blocking it off?

Paul

Nothing you would ever notice, except over long term.  The grill shutters main purpose is to improve aerodynamics by redirecting airflow around and down from the radiator instead of through it and creating a bubble in the engine compartment.

Posted Image

#57 OFFLINE   Wingmn

Wingmn

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 54 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

Paul, as I mentioned I am interested, but out of the states, and I only want the main grill cover, any thoughts on a price for just the main cover? I should be back in the states by Friday and will be ready to order, but like I said, only the main cover.

2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid

Deep Impact Blue

Equipment Group 505A (Luxury Pkg/Heated Seats)

SE Hybrid Tech/My Ford Touch Pkg

Rear View Camera

Reverse Sensing System

Moonroof

Active Park Assist

Driver Assist Pkg

Bought Used 12 Aug 2013

#58 OFFLINE   Da0ne

Da0ne

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 323 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi, 2014 Lexus IS 250 AWD

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

Well I have LEXAN sheets to make several FFH sets. I'm in the process of cutting them out and wondering how many members are interested in them. From my trip to AZ and back I have learned that the ICE update has changed the temp the shutters open until 210degrees at slow speeds and 215degrees around 60mph+. I saw temps as high as 236degrees on ScanGauge going up hills and high speed. I also have a cutout cover I use for higher temps that lowers the ICE temp by approx. 10degrees. The top white line on Smart Temp Gauge is around 242degrees. So this is not a problem but some people may not want to run coolant temp. that high so I'm going to supply second big Grill cover with cutouts to get more air flow with out losing the aero improvement. Also we need to determine where and how to attach License Plate. I'm looking at $100 for the two center covers and small lower cover.

Paul   

i mentioned it before also interested in this but would need only the top grille,  i would love to test it out but i dont have a scangauge 

• ptjones likes this

319386.png

305468.png

retired 9/23

180884.png

#59 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 635 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

i mentioned it before also interested in this but would need only the top grille,  i would love to test it out but i dont have a scangauge 

I had an accident with a deer last nite so CMAX has significant damage and will be in Body Shop for probable a couple weeks. With alot of searching I was able to find a 2014 Black SE FFH at Budget  Car Rental so I will have a couple of weeks to test my Grill Covers Design. I got 53.5MPG for 41mi. on I85 going home. Temps in mid 50's and drafting.

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 19 November 2013 - 06:06 PM.

163299.png 600 Club

#60 OFFLINE   Wingmn

Wingmn

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 54 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

I had an accident with a deer last nite so CMAX has significant damage and will be in Body Shop for probable a couple weeks. With alot of searching I was able to find a 2014 Black SE FFH at Budget  Car Rental so I will have a couple of weeks to test my Grill Covers Design. I got 53.5MPG for 41mi. on I85 going home. Temps in mid 50's and drafting.

Paul

Paul sorry about your deer meeting, hope you are ok. I did not see your thoughts on a price just for the main cover, have you had a chance to think about it?

2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid

Deep Impact Blue

Equipment Group 505A (Luxury Pkg/Heated Seats)

SE Hybrid Tech/My Ford Touch Pkg

Rear View Camera

Reverse Sensing System

Moonroof

Active Park Assist

Driver Assist Pkg

Bought Used 12 Aug 2013

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grille covers, grille blocking, MPGs, winter driving, winter fuel economy, FFH, Fusion Hybrid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·