hybridbear

Preparing for winter with a comprehensive strategy to improve MPGs including grille blocking & more

Your right on the money there at 38 MPG. With the temps we have right now in - numbers, the battery takes a long time to warm up, and the computer wont allow full use of the battery until it reaches a threshold temperature. This is why you see a full battery yet the ICE comes on almost immediately.

LION batteries only work well in a certain temperature range, so they rely on cabin temps to warm and cool them for peak efficiency. Once your cabin warms up, then the EV thresholds will increase and use more energy from the pack instead of ICE. Over the past 2 years with the HyTi I noticed a couple things that are different than the Gen 1 Fusion and Toyota system. Due to the fact the new Ford system is EV to 85, you no longer travel on ICE only above 45 MPH. In the previous gen and Toys when you are above 45 the ICE stays warm so your heaters work well, the ICE is at a constant temp so MPG can increase with high speed driving.

Up to 85 MPH the 13+ system switches between both EV and ICE so the ICE can quickly cool down, this is where the grill blocking becomes very important, to keep the flow of cold air out of the engine compartment to prevent chill down of the components and radiator.

Ran out of time, will add more later

I guess i can be satisfied with what i'm getting at the moment then too. still a few more things to try out and test yet.

Your MPGs will see a substantial improvement when warm weather returns. But, 38 MPG is fantastic MPGs for a comfortable midsize sedan in the Wisconsin winter. Chill until warm temps return. ;)

I'm doing essentially the same thing except I keep the HVAC in manual control.

Air goes to the windshield and the feet (acdii's approach) and depending on the engine temp and the ICE usage the fan either really low or high if there's enough heat available.

It's hard to turn it off completely since the windshield is fogging over rather quickly. Therefore I keep the fan at 1 bar for the most part and the temp setting at 69*.

When it's that cold the worst thing is stop and go traffic because the ICE constantly runs to provide heat with no travel. Like last night IIRC (I knew it was gonna be low) the trip home after crawling on I-290 because of an accident return 33.4 MPG.

This morning with better flowing traffic 41.9 MPG.

The gallon of regular was only $1.869 last night so nothing to worry about except the personal pride not getting at least 40 MPG. ;)

We do exactly the same thing. The only difference is that gas is $1.69 at the moment. :)

Edited by jeffo65

One other thing I have found. I would say at least 2/3rds of my daily drive is at 55 MPH. In the summertime weather, I would see it get over the 40 mark rather quickly, and if I were to use EV, the recharge rate is much faster, so it doesn't stay below 40 for very long. In winter driving though, cold soak happens quickly, so it takes much longer to get up to 40 and rarely over 40 at 55 MPH, so I limit EV as much as I can since any EV driving turns off the ICE which quickly loses temp, so when it switches back to ICE, it not only has to propel the car, recharge the battery, but also has to warm back up, so it takes much longer to get back up to near 40.

I also drive a few miles before turning on the HVAC, which is set to auto, keeps that blast of cold air from chilling us, when it kicks on now its a blast of warm air and feels pretty good. My techniques may not work for the majority of drivers since they may not be driving on Rural highways for 30 miles. But for those who leave their driveway and speed up to 55 MPH and stay there for a long time, my techniques seem to work pretty good. So far its keeping me right around the 38-40 range. Summer is 43-48 range. I don't expect more out of it, and certianly not less, but the occasional 35 doesn't bother me, if it is that low, it usually means it is really cold or the roads were really bad.

i would if I were to get anal about it. Right now we are comfortable in the car, it runs good, and gets what I ask out of it. In fact the top piece of foam flew out on my wife, and I have been too lazy to fit a new piece in(that and the wife has the trunk full of paperbacks covering the foam). I do notice a slight drop from when it was 100% covered, but not enough to worry about yet. When temps dip to single digits again then I will fit a replacement in.

In fact the top piece of foam flew out on my wife, and I have been too lazy to fit a new piece in(that and the wife has the trunk full of paperbacks covering the foam.

Come on, fess up. The romance novels filling up the trunk are yours.

Edited by Texasota

Well if you consider Tom Clancy, Dale Brown, Stephen Coonts and Clive Cussler romance writers...........

In the cold I am seeing a drop of about 3 MPG, where I normally get about 43 or so I get 40 or so, and where I was getting 40 around 38. Overall not bad at all.

How much energy dos the seat warmer consume (at the high setting?) I've been using that instead of turning on the heater. (Of course it helps that I'm in Sarasota )

Seat heater is 12v, the electric heater in the Energi is using the HVB or traction battery. Huge difference.

Here's a great post by Larry from the Energi Forum talking about why it takes more energy to propel the car in winter:

The FFH doesn't have the electric heater, but the heater does consume energy from the coolant which causes the ICE to run more. The principles in the post above all apply to the FFH.

The points in Larry's post all seemed plausible to me except for one thing. Why does aerodynamic drag increase in winter? I can see that if there is a mound of snow piled up on the roof but if the car is clean why less aerodynamic? Is it because colder air is more dense?

Edit: I think I answered my own question when I found this page that says much of what Larry did: http://wxbrad.com/why-cold-weather-gives-you-lower-gas-mileage/

Point # 7 states this:

#7 More Aerodynamic Drag:

When it’s cold you have more drag on your car as the air passes over it. Cold air is just denser than warm air. A vehicle’s aerodynamic drag is proportional to air density, and the density increases as temperature drops. For every 10° drop in temperature, aerodynamic drag increases by 2%. This is mostly at highway speeds and long trips on the freeways.

If 2% aerodynamic drag increase for every 10 degrees in temperature drop is accurate, then that is amazing and not something that I would have thought about. That means in Minnesota (where the temperature can be 90 in the summer and -30 in the winter) the aerodynamic drag increases as much as 24%.

Thanks for the post, HB.

Edited by Texasota