Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to Drive a FORD Fusion Hybrid to get Great Gas Mileage

MPGs FE gas mileage

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 265 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:None
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:37 AM

Since your grille covers block air, making all 4 coolers useless, they are adding unnecessary weight. Why don't you remove all 4 coolers and the cooling fan? It will reduce weight and reduce the electrical load. 

It will give you what you want, more mpg's. 

Don't forget to make a u tube video of the results. 

• Texasota likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#222 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,028 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:13 PM

Come on, PT, don't go silent again on this question. Tell us why you removed your grill covers just before taking your CMAX in for the failing transmission warranty repair. I'm thinking maybe you have forgotten what you told us. Here is the relevant link: http://fordfusionhyb...atures/?p=97623

If you don't want to follow the link here it is:

I peeled them off when I got to the Dealer so they really didn't notice, They liked my wheel covers which I also took off and put in the car for safe keeping.  I put the covers back on because the Trans ran cooler with them on. I did put 3-3" holes in lower cover to allow more air through, but still allow the temps to get over 214*F so the shutters would open. :)

Edited by Texasota, 20 November 2018 - 04:18 PM.

#223 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 794 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 20 November 2018 - 05:28 PM

I asked you this question in the past and you did not respond, I'll ask it again. Why did you remove all your grill covers just before taking your CMAX in to be diagnosed for its failing transmission? I'll bet you also removed the angle iron you bolted to the bottom of the transmission. Any possibility it was because the owner's manual clearly states that modifications may void your warranty? Makes it difficult for the mod to cause a warranty problem when it is removed before the service appointment.

Trans failures weren't caused by heat, they were caused by a bad bearing.   http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/5288-mileage-and-build-date-for-ecvt-that-have-failed/page-1  Trans were failing at 10's-20's k miles and when mine failed at 98k miles I had more miles than anyone else so obviously Grill Covers made my trans last longer. :)  BTW the angled "Aluminum Fins" were glued( not bolted ) on with silicon rubber to help the trans cool. At the time we hadn't heard the reason for the failures, but FORD knew, they didn't ask me any questions and just replaced it. Also the Trans doesn't put out an error code until 399*F, WOW

Billford already showed that you do advocate illegal activity: http://fordfusionhyb...eage/?p=108697

In Georgia it isn't illegal coast downhill except downhill grades that are posted with a %Grade Sign like( 4% Grade) and I responded " I REGEN downhill grades"  So nothing illegal here. :)

Drafting is also illegal but nearly impossible to enforce.  And in this post you make it clear that since you can violate the law safely it is okay: http://fordfusionhyb...leage/?p=108694

Drafting isn't illegal! I just checked on google and I couldn't find any Laws on Extended Drafting is what I do or Drafting period! :)

Please stop quoting posts and then editing within it. The edits you add to the quote are what you said not the original poster. Please respond below the quote.

Now that I have shown there is nothing illegal going on in MY Thread and YouTube videos  and I have followed your editing request, I would like to request that you Please not post anymore on any of MY Threads in the future. Thank You :)

Paul 

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#224 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:07 PM

Since your grille covers block air, making all 4 coolers useless, they are adding unnecessary weight. Why don't you remove all 4 coolers and the cooling fan? It will reduce weight and reduce the electrical load. 

It will give you what you want, more mpg's. 

Don't forget to make a u tube video of the results. 

Get a ScanGaugeII and check for yourself. :) Radiator, Trans, Inverter and A/C get enough air to work just fine. :)

Start from the beginning of this thread and read all the posts and go through all the YouTube videos to the end and then go to :http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/970-cmax-grill-cover-testing-2-5-mpg-gain/page-1 and go through all the post to get the info you are looking for. 

It is obvious that you aren't interested using the info to improve your mpg's, so I'll have to asks you to Please don't post on any of My Threads in the future. Thank You :) 

Paul 

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#225 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 265 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:None
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 21 November 2018 - 12:29 AM

Get a ScanGaugeII and check for yourself. :) Radiator, Trans, Inverter and A/C get enough air to work just fine. :)

Start from the beginning of this thread and read all the posts and go through all the YouTube videos to the end and then go to :http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/970-cmax-grill-cover-testing-2-5-mpg-gain/page-1 and go through all the post to get the info you are looking for. 

It is obvious that you aren't interested using the info to improve your mpg's, so I'll have to asks you to Please don't post on any of My Threads in the future. Thank You :)

Paul 

No, they do not get enough air to work fine as you wrote, especially uphills when the shutters are open in slow traffic. 

You wrote before that its ok for the coolant temperature to reach 230 and you never noticed the fan running.  Maybe that's normal on a cmax, but this is a Fusion forum and my 2014 Fusion, the radiator fan turns on at about 218. I verified this with a scanner  when climbing the mountains. Once the fan turns on, it quickly cools down to 204. This is how the 2014 Fusion is programmed with the latest available powertrain software. 

Your normal blocked grille cmax 230 is out of the Fusions normal zone. 

Edited by billford, 21 November 2018 - 01:35 AM.

#226 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:37 PM

Trans failures weren't caused by heat, they were caused by a bad bearing.   http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/5288-mileage-and-build-date-for-ecvt-that-have-failed/page-1  Trans were failing at 10's-20's k miles and when mine failed at 98k miles I had more miles than anyone else so obviously Grill Covers made my trans last longer. :)  BTW the angled "Aluminum Fins" were glued( not bolted ) on with silicon rubber to help the trans cool. At the time we hadn't heard the reason for the failures, but FORD knew, they didn't ask me any questions and just replaced it. Also the Trans doesn't put out an error code until 399*F, WOW

Nice job of completely avoiding the question. You know my question had nothing to do with the cause of your transmission failure. I asked why did you remove your grill covers prior to bringing your CMAX into the service department for the transmission issue? This seems like an odd and inconsistent thing to do given your statement:

I monitor all four Hybrid/Energi forums for over 6 yrs and there has never been a warranty problem with any of MY MOD's.

#227 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:08 PM

Drafting isn't illegal! I just checked on google and I couldn't find any Laws on Extended Drafting is what I do or Drafting period! :)

Drafting, as you practice it, certainly is illegal in Georgia but you won't find it by googling for "drafting" or your "extended drafting" term.

https://law.justia.c...icle-3/40-6-49/

Most (maybe all) states have similar "Following too closely" laws.

#228 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:38 PM

I had a heater hose fitting start leaking back in Nov. which I tried to fix myself, but turned to be a big  job so I ended up getting FORD to fix it for $1,100, ouch! sad.png  Well with 218k mi. things are bond to break down.  I took MADMAX with only 40 miles on the tank and around 50 mpg and I got it back with 16 mpg sad.png and it took 550 miles HWY driving to get it to 44.6 mpg.  I learned something that I suspected for sometime that MADMAX gets better MPG's running WT temps between 218*F to 230*F with center and bottom Grill Covers on than 206*F to 220*F with partial bottom Grill Cover on for an improvement of .5-1 MPG.

sml_gallery_143_17_448106.jpg 
Shows bottom Grill Cover with holes to let more air through.

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

#229 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:48 AM

Got Premium gas last night at Sam's for $2.67 and Reg. was $2.41 so I'm getting pretty close to break even point of cost vs mpg improvement now. happy%20feet.gif

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MPGs, FE, gas mileage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·