Sign in to follow this  
Texasota

Removing the hybrid emblem

I believe that the HVB is automatically isolated by the car in the event of a crash to protect first responders. Once the vehicle is removed from the crash site the dealer or wrecking yard is responsible for following proper procedure for storing the HVB. The issue with the Volt was that someone was not following the proper procedure outlined by GM to prevent fires.

Then again if there are no emblems on the outside and the hood or trunk isn't opened, then no one would know it's a hybrid. My only concern would be if the pack did get damaged in some way and no one knew it was a hybrid until they started to work on it, that the car could be indoors when the pack gives up the ghost. That's my only concern. Sometimes a body shop could have an opening right away and have the car dropped off inside.

I'm proud of my hybrid emblem on my 2010. If it wasn't there, I would try to add one. It's unobtrusive. If you live in areas where you think it would be vandalized because it's a hybrid, that's sad. Comparing vandalizing a Hummer to vandalizing a Ford Hybrid is an apples/oranges comparison.

If you have bought a hybrid, like it or not, you are seen as probably making a political statement about anthropological global warming. Actually, the economic numbers show you are smarter for choosing a car that will be cheaper to run after only a few years. If you factor the average 14 year life of vehicles, it almost completely pays for itself.

I'm really tired of people saying the Prius is "ugly". The Prius is designed to have the lowest drag co-efficient, Cd, of a production car and they hit the bulls-eye. Look at all the other cars. They are all slowly approaching the aerodynamic shape Prius has had for 5 years with the Gen III alone. At highway speeds, air drag is half the load.

The County is just finishing resurfacing a 55 mph 4 lane divided highway whose surface had become very noisy due to erosion of the surface The other day one lane had been resurfaced with a very smooth quiet surface and the other had not. The difference in lane mpg was 4, in keeping with other observations. The noisy one was 46 and the quiet, 50. This is one of the many small effects on mileage.

Edited by lolder