James Sentman

MPG improving after 600 miles?

You are just getting the hang of driving it, that's all. Wait until you get 10K on it, then it really starts to improve. Also what Waldo said, temps help out, and gas is changing to Summer blends, and that right there accounts for a good increase. Mine has over 23K on it now and it is doing much better than when I first got it. It is much easier to drive now and get good MPG than it was last year. 45+ this morning, not even trying.

Seems like a lot of those who weren't getting good MPG were granny driving the car. I found this to be not a good thing. Starting out in EV and slowly accelerating to speed uses more fuel, Accelerating at 2-21/2 bars seems to get better MPG. When you first got the car, you said you were doing this and now you drive it in a more normal fashion. Right there is what is helping. I didn't do so well in the Prius when I first got it, but after a few k miles of driving it I was seeing much better MPG too. Same with the 2010 FFH, when I first got it I was only seeing about 34, but after a few months it was routinely seeing 40. I had to relearn to drive in the 13 FFH since it uses a different drivetrain, but that only took me about a week. When I got the HyTi first trip in it I got 47 MPG.

Hasn't someone also mentioned tire break in as a factor?

I did, it takes a while before the treads even out to match the cars travel. The first few K on the tires is where you see the most improvement, then it gradually gets better as they wear down. Right now my car is getting the best MPG it ever got and the tires are about done for.

Why are your tires worn out so fast? You won't even get 30k miles out of them based on your comments. That's ridiculous! I would expect 50-60k miles on a set of tires, minimum. Anything less than that and I wouldn't buy those tires again.

Its those CrapYear tires that came on the car, they suck. I have rotated them a couple times, the fronts are worn more than the rears.

My 18 month old Goodyear LS2's are about at 1/2 worn area and have 27,000+ mile on them, the tread wear strips are still quite a ways from the tread surface.

I rotated them at about the 10k mile marks and they are wearing normally.

They ride smooth and quiet, handle mountain roads well and so far have given no reason for complaint.

I carry 42 psi in these 18" tires.

I think your extreme weather and pothole filled roads may be a contributer to the excessive wear your are experiencing. When you had the BD you wrote a few tire remarks about how much you liked the GY LS2's - something is different now.

It could be that they changed the quality (or the molds are getting old) after the initial batch met car manufacturers approval and are pocketing the difference. Mine are a very early batch from 2012.

Most likely the case, they are horrible compared to the BD. They also thump( I hope its the tires and not a bearing in the trans), and pulls in ruts. I was really surprised at how poorly they did in the snow. I am also seeing feathering on the inner edge of the fronts.

I found that if you dont reset the lifetime when you first get the car, it takes forever to go up. The BD started out this way, so when I got the HyTi i reset it just before I drove off the lot. The lifetime on my is full Odometer minus 3 miles. Same holds true for non hybrids, takes forever for the average to go up when fresh from the factory.