tr7driver

More on Consumer Reports ratings

What this will come down to is car companies will actually test all their models prior to issuing the EPA statements, instead of relying on mathematical formulas and dyno tests. Had they actually done that with several different cars from the same model, then they wouldn't be issuing checks and having egg on their face. I honestly think that is what Toyota actually does, they test, test, test, then they issue their EPA ratings. While I dont really like the Appliance(toyota's), I can get into any of their Hybrids and hit EPA right from the start.

Quote by acdii

"What this will come down to is car companies will actually test all their models prior to issuing the EPA statements, instead of relying on mathematical formulas and dyno tests. Had they actually done that with several different cars from the same model, then they wouldn't be issuing checks and having egg on their face. I honestly think that is what Toyota actually does, they test, test, test, then they issue their EPA ratings. While I dont really like the Appliance(toyota's), I can get into any of their Hybrids and hit EPA right from the start."

I don't think many of you realize that Ford had NO CHOICE in what EPA numbers to show. The tests are very well regulated and structured and Ford (or any other manufacturer) cannot deviate from them. I work in a heavily UL labeled environment. We are forced to do things according to the UL Proceedure handbook and cannot deviate from those processes. We know some of the tests are useless and prove nothing and some are even giving consumers a false sense of safety. Nothing we can do about it.

Seems that when Ford found the error, they reported their findings to EPA and only after the EPA studied the report, were they allowed to post the results and new numbers.

You can't blame Ford or Chevy or Fiat or Toyota etc. They are only following what the EPA has forced them to do.

Oh, and you might be surprised to find out that you can "cherry-pick" your test samples, even as far as hand assembling them in a lab and not on the production line. The device being tested is far from what you end up with at the dealers lot. Follow-up testing by these orginizations is practically non-existant.

All of this info is based on 20+ years in a R & D career using various testing facilities (but not the EPA). I am making the assumption that the EPA is the same as the other orginizations that I have used.

They certainly DO have a choice. They can actually test the cars, instead of computing numbers like they did. It was only after they compared real world with the mathematical computations from the EPA that they discovered the flaw. The Cmax was based on the rules posted by the EPA, they categorized the car without actually testing it and got bit in the ass.

You can run theories all you want, which is what the EPA tests all boil down to, but once you put the plan into motion in the real world, theories can all go bye bye. Ford screwed up by not actually testing all the models they produced and grouped them together, and the end results were that not all the models held up.

As an ongoing practice, Ford conducts tests on production vehicles to validate its engineering models. Based on coastdown testing of the Fusion Hybrid, the company found the TRLHP did not match the values used for the dynamometer testing.

Upon further testing, Ford also discovered an error specific to how we correlate wind tunnel results into the TRLHP model. Ford’s error was the result of a recent process change, which the company has since corrected.

The Engineering models, and real world models did not match up, had they done extensive testing prior to the release of the Fusion and Cmax they may have caught it and the EPA figures would have been correct from the start.

Like I said before, this is a hard earned lesson that Ford has had, and most likely will never repeat it. It's like Global Warming, the models and real world don't reflect each other, same can be said for the EPA tests, they are just a bunch of numbers that are based on sets of rules, and if any part of a rule is off, the entire test is flawed.

Its not an option, its a proof of concept. POC takes the theory and proves whether or not it will work. Obviously Ford did not do this, or they would have discovered the flaw in the math from the start. IOW they do have a choice in what they send to the EPA. They can send their mathematical theories, which is what they did, or they can take their theories, run real world tests based on those theories, and either prove them out, or change the theories so they actually match what they proved out. POC is what I do all the time with networking and firewalls. On Paper what looks like will work, sometimes doesn't based on something that got missed, or overlooked, IE a Monkey Wrench. Happened to me on Saturday, we were moving customers from one location to another. On paper it looked like a 4 hour job, but that damned Monkey Wrench appears when it was discovered that a server could not be removed from a rack do to someone stripping out the screws.

They most certainly did NOT deviate from proceedures. You really think that any car company can just "say" that their cars get XX MPG????? No possible way. Those numbers are based on formulas developed and published by the EPA. You cannot deviate from those standards. Period.

You can keep on thinking that Ford "faked" that 47 mpg number, just like you can hope that the $3 extension cord won't catch fire. In reality, tha $3 extension cord won't catch fire unless you do something outside of the intended use. Both must follow standards, the car companies and the offshore extension cord manufacturer.

It still comes down to the numbers. Sure Ford followed the procedure, on paper the car should get 47 MPG, but in reality it was not, so what went wrong? They worked at it until they discovered the flaw in the math, which involved real world testing. So what I am saying is, what car companies will most likely be doing now and in the future before they issue any EPA numbers is trust but verify. Do the computer numbers match up with real world numbers? Only way to know is to do real world testing on each model.

So lets say Ford took a base model Fusion, 17" LRR tires, no extra options, lightest Fusion made, and did real world test. That car got 47 MPG average, so based on that, using EPA guidelines and standards, they can put that number on all the cars they make that uses this drivetrain and meets certain other criteria, even though in reality none of them can meet the same standards and the base model due to extra weight, different tires, and different Coefficient of Drag. This is what Ford did with the Cmax, based EPA on the Fusion model they tested with. In the future, to save face, they most likely will do extensive testing on each model just to make sure, at least this is what we can hope they do.

So sorry that that went right over your head. Maybe next time......

HB You are correct about competition, however, it is my firm belief that Toyota actually does this prior to the release of their cars since any one of their models does in fact get their EPA ratings right off the lot(when driven properly). All they really have to consider to get this right and avoid issues like this is plan for it in their timeline so that when it comes time for the new model release they will already have all their Duckies lined up ready for the CR shooting gallery.